new shotty for trap

bt 99 beats me bad. 30 inch ithaca pump with a truglo magnetic front sight does me fair. the magnetic sight allows me to float the bird. a field 1187 did nothing for my scores.
.....my recent attempt is a super x1 made in new haven, Winchester. my goodness, cant miss and the recoil just isn't there at all. and there are plenty of the trap versions around for a third the price of a benelli, jmho bobn

O/U Vs. Semiauto

I Shoot trap with a 12 gauge Benelli Montefeltro semiauto (a Field gun and not a Trap gun). I occasionally shoot trap with a 20 gauge Citori O/U. Recoil from the 12 gauge Benelli is less than the 20 gauge O/U. The day after for my shoulder is noticeably worse when I shot the O/U. The performance of my Montefeltro has been most reliable, and it cycles 1 oz. loads just as well as heavier loads, although you may have to fire 300 rounds or so before it cycles light loads optimally.

If guns are beating you guys up ...( its because they don't Fit you right ) --- or ( your fundamentals are bad - and you're pushing your gun away from your shoulder, or stock is crabbing down your arm, etc...)....

Even if you want to shoot 10 boxes of 1300 fps, 1 1/8oz loads in a day...they still should not be beating you up ( and I don't want to shoot those shells at all...) ...but shotguns, in general, should not beat you up !!

I used to shoot an O/U - about 20 years worth, but in the last few years switched to a gas gun that has shims so I can get the fit even better - What a difference having a better fitting gun makes..............It isn't perfect, but it's a lot closer than the O/U. AND it doesn't hiccup on my 3/4oz reloads (ClayBuster makes 3/4oz wads for 12 and 20)

Light loads, gas gun, gun that fits - all that equals no pain and max fun!

I agree with FITASC....

and to his point, recoil is considered cumulative ...while the gun should not beat you up ( and I still mostly shoot O/U's - not semi autos )...the cumulative recoil will wear you down mentally over a long day in the field for a tournament...and especially over 3 or 4 day tournaments.

And I will admit that as I get a little older ( into my late 60's ) ...while I have a Benelli Super Sport semi-auto ... I am considering one of the Beretta A400 Xcel Multi-Target models ... for the first time ( I'm not normally a Beretta fan ...)...

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xcel-multitarget/ ...

( I have a birthday coming up ...but I just ordered a new SUV too ...so we'll see how indulgent my wife is feeling toward another shotgun ...when I already have about a dozen over under Brownings sitting in the safe)...:rolleyes:

I am feeling charitable

LittleJimP wrote:

( I have a birthday coming up ...but I just ordered a new SUV too ...so we'll see how indulgent my wife is feeling toward another shotgun ...when I already have about a dozen over under Brownings sitting in the safe)...

As I am feeling charitable, I could help you out with your too many shotgun dilemma and let you have a couple hundred for your 20 gauge XS Skeet.

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water...you pop up again Dreamin... :D .. ( always trying to take advantage of me...my feelings are hurt )...

new LX 570 won't be here for another few weeks...saving my pennies...and I just ordered 4 cases of Montana Gold bullets in 9mm ...to keep up my inventory.../ ...I think I'm over the urge for the multi-target...but I have a buddy that decided he had to have one after he and I were discussing it - and he bought it last week...so I'll get to shoot one when we get a dry day out at the club ..( maybe next Spring the way it looks this week....) .. :D.

Hey -- you want unconditional friendship...buy a dog.../....you interrupted my nap....:p ...( you're just a shark in flip flops )...

I just checked to make sure, yup, all 4 of my XS Skeet models ( 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ....) are all tucked safely in my safe ( and all of my firing pins are undamaged...and working just fine thank you )!! .... --- life is good ! :cool:

Last edited:
There is a 1969 Superposed Diana grade on GB right now at 1000 bucks. Im sure it will go up before the end but man its beautiful.

It is beautiful, but while "1000 bucks" was the bid at one point the auction has a reserve. Over several listings bids have gone as high as $3500 without meeting the reserve and the buy it now price is $4695.

In other words the gun is not going to be sold for anywhere near 1000 bucks.

Many of the Diana Grade guns will sell for well north of $ 10,000....but every gun is different so its hard to tell ..if this one will even sell.

If you are going to buy a shotgun exclusively for trap, get a trap shotgun with a tapered rib and high comb. This will create a built in lead and allow you to see the rising target. If you're having recoil issues, get one with an adjustable comb so it fits you better.

For a Trap gun specifically ....I think there are a few guns on the market that are a much better investment than a Diana grade superposed..../ Browning Citori XT Trap ( Over Under is a solid gun ), Browning BT-99 single barrel break open gun is a solid gun unless you want to shoot doubles or continental trap where you load 2 shells...or maybe a newcomer like the Beretta A400 Xcel Multi Target semi auto with an adj rib...

I think your decision to go with an over under is a good one, but before you plunk the money down for one I suggest you spend some time with a qualified instructor and try several guns before making a purchase. Especially if you plan on shooting other regimens like skeet and sporting clays.

new shotgun

Weeeeeell... I decided.
I had decided to wait for a few reasons but the other week i got the chance to use a nice remington 1100 my buddy just bought. Using that gun felt like cheating. This could be for a couple reasons. The gun just pointed easy for me, the length and weight felt good. I also think the poly choke on my 16 is messed up to it has been choked down the whole time.
Anyway after some lookibg around at 1100s and doing some investigating I decided on a nice winchester super x model 1 trap. At the moment I feel it is a good budget compromise between no gun and a nice OU.

super x one trap is an awesome gun. whenever I mention it people look at me like I got a purple face. shoot one. they immediately change mind, lol. bob

When I got into it (this past August), I picked up a Mossberg SRII. I'm not looking to get into hardcore trap... just shoot it recreationally. Didn't have an O/U, so was my other reason getting it.

Originally had a chip on the forend and then when one barrel fired, it would really lock up the action (ejector issue). Mossberg took it back and fixed it pretty quick. Only have about 500 rounds through it, and noticed a slight crack at the wrist where the trigger guard meets (leading up towards the checkering, about 1/2" long). Going to shoot another couple rounds, and if it reaches the checkering... Mossberg will be replacing the stock.

I have a few other options to use if it goes back to Mossberg... mainly one of my 11-87s (one is a slug gun, so probably the other). But being I like to turn heads, I'm debating on getting a Remington choke adapter for my KSG... [emoji41] Was considering the Century PW87, but not too fond of the fixed modified choke. Could have it threaded...

Back