new shotty for trap

FITASC....what do you think of the A400 XCEL multi target...semi auto from Beretta.../ adj rib, etc ...and it doesn't come in that ugly "smurf" color...??

Sorry, Jim, missed this earlier

Basically, it is an A400 with all of the features of the Fabarm semi - adjustable rib, comb, extended charging handle, oversized bolt release, etc.
All of the "extras" basically double an A400 price and approach basic "B" gun O/U territory at $3K. There IS a new version due at the end of the year - this I know because a friend has offered me his blue smurf gun because he is going to get the new Fabarm. If all of the extra stuff allows you to custom fit this gun to your style, then it would be worth it; if you don't need all of that, that double the cost won't buy an extra target.

Personally, I really wish Beretta would have a 70mm shim for the A400

If I was going to spend the $2k

I'd be looking real hard at a Belgian Browning Superposed with fixed chokes form the 60s or 70s (no salt wood though)
Those are some of the best sleepers out there

over under

There is a 1969 Superposed Diana grade on GB right now at 1000 bucks. Im sure it will go up before the end but man its beautiful.

I shot sporting clays this past weekend with a guy who was using a Krieghoff K-80. He didn't hit them all but it sure was pretty compared to... everything. Made my old 11-87 look like a boat paddle.

If you're really concerned about recoil I think you have to go with the semi auto.

There are plenty of one size fits most shell catchers available pretty cheap and as long as you're not shooting doubles they work just fine.

I appreciate your input on the "multi - target" model FITASC..../ maybe I will wait and see what the changes are on it next year....before I decide...( I can't deal with the surf color)....

I think the smurf gun is here to stay. That said, they have other (lighter) field versions with green and bronze receivers that I know about

I load up low velocity 15/16 ounce loads and they just absolutely smoke the targets if I center them in the pattern and are super pleasant to shoot. I realized a long time ago that recoil and noise does not break targets. You don't need 1 1/8 ounces of shot, you don't need 1290 fps muzzle velocity.

shot gun

I think ive decided to go over under and just man up, always wanted one anyway. Ill look into those lighter rounds thank you.
I was thinking the the same thing about the reserve. I bet its pretty high. The others I see are 4k or more.

Just to make sure we haven't confused the daylights out of you....a couple of points...

Your original post said you liked the Maxis....but if you meant the Browning Maxus, it is a gas operated semi-auto ---- not an inertia gun....

16 ga....has mostly gone away because there are no competitions shot with a 16ga ( only 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ).....and while I still have a 3 shot, bolt action, 16ga in my safe...it was a present about 55 yrs ago and I killed at least a ton of grouse with it...../ ...there are not many 16 ga's made because the demand is so low .... / ballistically, the 16ga traditionally fired a 1oz shell.../ today it's really easy to buy 1 oz shells in 12ga or 20ga, so the 16ga got squeezed out of the mix....still around for nostalgia, but not many guns made in 16ga anymore...( Browning BPS hunter model pump gun is one of the few I know of still made in a 16ga....and a couple in the Citori line as well....and the new line of A5's, but it's a recoil operated inertia type system...).

Getting beat up by a shotgun ...is not a matter of Manning up.....i'm 6' 5" and a "comfortable" 290 ....but a poorly fitting shotgun will beat the stuffing out of me if it doesn't fit right ...too much angle on comb will push the meat in my face up against my cheek bone and beat the heck out of me....vs recoiling under that cheekbone like it should, poor shooting fundamentals - bad elbow positions will let the stock crab down my bicep and bruise it....all of which is fixable.........by understanding "fit" and stock dimensions you need.

I'm a big Browning Citori fan.... but 80% of the Citori line of guns don't fit me ( lightning, the 725 field or sporting etc...) because they beat me up - because they have angled combs and too much drop at Heel..../ where the XT Trap, 725 Skeet with adjustable comb, the old XS Skeet model...fit me great....and I can shoot 200 shells a day, with no pain...../ so you have to figure out what works for you...

Go to your local club...talk to the competition shooters about Fit.....Trap and Skeet shooters will both tell you how they figured it out / how to check a gun .....before you buy, talk to them about Skeet vs Trap guns....weight, barrel length, etc..../ and look at some videos, or dvd's on gun mount, swing fundamentals.....and have fun with the process....

Last edited:
I'm shooting trap singles with a Browning BT-99 and I can shoot 200 targets in one day and be ready to shoot more. The comb does not bruise my cheek at all, even when I shoot 1 1/8 ounce loads in it.

But those 1-1/8 oz loads WILL lead to an eventual flinch. Where I live, I see the old trap shooters who have been shooting for decades - and they all use release triggers due to flinches brought on by heavy loads. There's no need for them. 3/4, 7/8, or even 1oz will save your shoulder some wear and tear and still break targets - it only takes three pellets to break a standard target.

Yea but I like to see em turn into smoke.:D

Lately, I've been playing around with 1090 fps 1 1/8 ounce loads. 16 grains Red Dot, WAA-12 wad, AA hull. They are reasonably pleasant to shoot.
I'm headed out to the Bexar Community shooting range this AM to shoot 100 singles and 100 handicap. I'm going to shoot those 1 1/8 ounce loads in the handicap event and see how they work out.
If they aren't "the answer", I'll go back to my old reliable, but you gotta be careful not to blame or credit the load when the results were mostly your fault.

I don't shoot anything over 1 oz anymore in a 12ga.../ and 99% of the time it is 1 oz of 8's...even for Skeet if I want to shoot a 12ga.

The Winchester 101 Ultimate Field from Bass Pro is the best buy going in a decent over under right now...

$1,049...

It is the exact same action as the FN you were looking at, and based on reviews (and owning one myself) they are a very good shotgun at a very good price.

I'm shooting 7/8 ounce #8 at 1,235 fps reloads and smashing everything quite well (16 yard trap and skeet).

trap

Jim I am willing to bet my soreness is in oart at least how im holding the gun. Being new and not having anytime to practice at my own pace yet I have not had time to get comfortable with it. Im always in a rush to load and shoot I haven't had time to work on that basic but I will next time out. Thanks for the insight.
Ridge ,same action as the FN for half the price, cant beat that deal!

Back