New Ruger 7 shot GP100 357

Ruger has contracted with Altamont for the wood inserts & another company (I think New Hampshire) for the rubber.
Denis

Uncle Ed, you're right about that. They probably shave a little weight off too. Even if they didn't have those or other benefits, the look of a smooth cylinder has just always rubbed me the wrong way. I know that has practical reasons too in some cases but I just can never bring myself to own one.

Between this and the reissued 3" SP101 in .327 Federal, I don't know what to get. Yeah, I know. Buy both! Well, my new revolver budget is only so big. I don't suppose... Dare I say it? Is this good enough to sell off a 686 Plus?

That's a tough question... and while I'm going to buy a 7 shot GP100 over a 686+, that's only because I don't already have a 7 shot .357. If I already had a 686 and had gotten use to it and know it's a good gun that works well, I wouldn't bother letting it go for the unknown.

Unless you're looking at seriously carrying one of these 7 shots and want the 2.5" barrel. Even then, I would still keep the 686 if it's been good to you.

The 7-shot should absolutely have 3" rather than 2.5". Methinks they will update that in the future after enough customer feedback....

That will be a very sweet CCW!

Can't have more the 6 in a Cowboy competition, not that I do but just one point. Maybe the reg GP100's will drop in price..lol

Can't have more the 6 in a Cowboy competition, not that I do but just one point.

I don't compete in Cowboy competition but I thought the rules mandated having only five shots in sa revolver stages-the same number of rounds the Lone Ranger should have loaded his non-transfer bar safety revolvers with back in the day. :)

That's a tough question... and while I'm going to buy a 7 shot GP100 over a 686+, that's only because I don't already have a 7 shot .357. If I already had a 686 and had gotten use to it and know it's a good gun that works well, I wouldn't bother letting it go for the unknown.

The 686+ is an excellent firearm, and the pinnacle of comfortable magnum shooting with X-grips attached. I still find myself irked by the lock hole though... I've been contemplating "the plug" but keep finding other projects getting ahead of it.

Can't shoot lead bullets in it due to the polygonal rifling.
Where in the world did you come up with that info??? Nowhere on the spec sheets does it state that

That is true for me, even with throat work and various bullets to address part of the leading issue. Smiths have throats smaller than typical lead, and newer ones have ECM rifling, so my only newer S&W that shoots lead without bothersome fouling is the 625PC with its cut rifling and opened up throats, distinct from the 625JM (throat job), which is awful with lead (for me at least). Some of the older ones with cut rifling have the throats opened up and work well. My pinned and recessed 19-4 with its cut rifling is an example of one with throats that were opened up and shoots lead routinely now.

Back