New Ruger 7 shot GP100 357

I don't like them over 6 either, it gets awkward even in field use. I will say, having owned and still owning both, if the prices are the same I'll buy the 686 over the GP. Both fantastic guns but, when Smith has their QC under control, their guns are just better made and easier to deal if you want to change grips and such.

In the "old days" some folks would say "A Smith is a jewel, and a Ruger is a tool". I was one of those people. Referring to S&W's heyday of making ultra fine quality revolvers, and Ruger's reputation for their revolvers being built like a brick s**thouse. I think the differences now are mostly cosmetic. Either will serve you well.

Rugers' strength legends came about during the Ruger Only load heyday of the .45C, and was limited to their SAA offerings. Ruger revolvers are cast, so they are a bit beefier in metal, but not strength. Ruger Only loads are still around, but limited to BlackHawk/Redhawk guns as the New Vaqueros will quickly fall apart if you try to fire that kind of load through them. Nobody makes ultra fine quality revolvers or guns in general anymore unless you go through a custom shop or can afford a Korth.

Where Ruger goes right, is offering solid revolvers for around 150-200 dollars less than a Smith, and far, far better CS should you need them.

Another comparison would be the Model 19 vs. the Security Six. Both were great service revolvers that filled the same niche. One was just "nicer" finished, and had a better trigger.

Speaking of BH's.. to this day, there is still no better single action revolver for the money than the Blackhawk series.

Sorry for straying a bit off topic.

This just about answered my post on a 2 to 2.5" 357 snub in magnum wheel.
A seven shot GP100 Model 1774 & it also comes with adjustable sights.Brilliant just brilliant. I will gladly trade out my 2" 357 in magnum for this baby.

They were smart to do it and hit directly at the 686. The RedHawks are just a touch too much for carry (only 4 ounce different unloaded, but ounces loaded can be a very different day on your hip).

Ruger should just do away with the hideous solid rubber grips.....go back to the ones with wood inserts.....they are a perfect compliment to an already great revolver.

I've wanted a 686+ for a long time but now that Ruger is making a 7 shot GP100 it makes me hesitant to spend the extra cash on the S&W. As is obvious by many of my threads the GP is near and dear to my heart.

It may not be that much of a difference in price, especially at first when the guns hit the shops and the inevitable mark-up comes into play. I suspect you'll see a 650 or so price on these, if not nudging right up against 700, considering the stainless standard 6 shot is about 600 in stores now.

The Lett grips can be a little small to get a good firm grip on for some people. But I admit they are leaps and bounds above that horrendous "MonoGrip" that fits nobody I've yet met.

Fortunately, aftermarket grips are readily available in many styles and configurations and are relatively affordable.

A 3" barrel would have been nicer, but I could live with the 2 1/2. But, get rid of that horrible front sight and put a normal sight on it so it can be carried concealed. Now, I'm not a Ruger guy, so I don't know if there would be a sight available and how hard it would be to swap. I'm going to do some research and if this is so and I can lay my hands on one to feel it out I may just have to add this one to the family.

Cosmodragon,

Fluted cylinders have a very practical purpose
in that they allow you to better index an
open cylinder while speed loading either with
a speed loader, speed strip or one or two
loose rounds at a time.

It's hard to tell in just a picture, but that new FO sight doesn't look as easy to change out as the standard GP sight. That's the one thing GPs have over the 686, front and rear sights that don't require special tools and drilling. There could be a pin there in the new sight that's easily pushed out, I just can't see it.

I don't know, just don't feel right. What would Elmer, Skeeter and Bill Jordan say? Besides I never saw Hop along, Roy Rodgers or the Lone Rangers six shooters ever run dry, just the bad guys.:D

It might not be "classic", but it's one extra round you can use before hitting the speedloader pouch. I doubt the Lone Ranger would have raised a stink about having an extra round, hehe.

Back