New Rifle - Maybe a Savage 116?

So I went to a local dealer today and he has 2 new old stock Ruger Americans without scope and the rotary magazine in 270, 1 is stainless with a black stock and the other is tan cerakote with a tan camo stock, either for $399. He also has some new American predators green stock black matte finish in 6.5 creedmoor $429 without scope and $569 with a Vortex 4x12. Hmm, decisions, decisions... I don't like his selection of scopes, but I'm leaning toward the stainless 270 and I can pick up a scope later. Although a 6.5 creedmoor has really got my attention, I'm just not found of the American in a predator, it just seems like the barrel is too heavy for the gun and its balanced horribly.

Since the start of this thread. I have purchased both a Winchester XPR. And a Ruger go wild.

My XPR is walnut stocked. I won't compare it to the stock on the Ruger. Although the synthetic stock on the XPR is certainly stiffer and better feeling than the Ruger.

The Stockton my Ruger is the typical cheap flimsy type. (Go wild) although the finish of the super smooth action and barrel is very good on the Ruger. The Ruger also came with a Muzzle brake.

The trigger on the Ruger is ok. The MOA trigger on the Winchester is nicer. The Accutrigger on the Axis 2 is also nicer than the Ruger trigger.

The XPR has a better recoil pad than either of the others.
The Magazine with the Winchester is also better than the Savage or the Ruger mag (exception is the Ruger that takes the AICS mag)

If I were in the market for another budget gun. It would be another XPR with a walnut stock ($500) or a Remington 700 ADL ($379 Walmart). The XPR can also be had with a synthetic stock and a 4-12 Vortex for around $500.

Just some insight from what I have been doing the last 6 weeks

Since the start of this thread, i've put money down, and made a first payment on a Forbes 24B in 280 Rem.
Based on an "improved" Mauser action, it has a 90 degree bolt throw.
I've never had an issue with a Savage bolt lift with any of my scopes.
But then again, i use EGW 20 MOA one piece bases, with low rings. Even for my 50mm objective on my Sigjtron.

Psst. Don't tell the wife, but i also ordered a CZ 720. Semi auto 20 gage.

I know the Winchester XPR gets good reviews, but the more I think about it, I really want an American made gun and the only XPR I've been able to find locally was at Bass Pro and it was an ugly camo version I didn't like. There's another gun show in close to home the last weekend of March, hopefully I'll get there.

Hopefully your gun shows are better than the local ones around here! Total waste of $7 to get in the door!
The "flea markets are just as bad price wise.
I get better deals from my local gunshops. And i help support someone local.

The days of the pawnshop are pretty well done here also.

Psst. Don't tell the wife, but i also ordered a CZ 720. Semi auto 20 gage.
I have your wife's phone number, please PayPal $1000 to my account, or else.... :D

I've never bought a savage rifle at any price level that couldn't shoot .75 to .5 MOA (sometimes better than that with handloads), at least at closer hunting ranges, it's a brand that I will plunk money down on readily no matter where I see them without worrying about how well they shoot.:D

So I've decided on the Ruger American, now which one exactly? Not sure if it'll be the Go Wild Camo version with the muzzle brake or a cheaper version. I like the idea of the muzzle brake but that barrel is a little heavier than one on the standard version. I'll keep you posted on which one I pick up. Might be a couple weeks, but as you've seen I'm in no huge hurry. Once I figure out which version to get then I'll have the task of deciding on a scope. Since I'm doing made in the USA, the scope will probably be a Leupold.

I'm afraid my local gun show was very disappointing, not worth the $10 dollar admission. I went to one yesterday in Murfreesboro, Tn and probably won't go back. I was at a gun show in Knoxville,Tn about 2 years ago and it was great, lots of vendors.

I forgot to mention while at a local store I saw a Barrett Fieldcraft model bolt action, I'm still drooling over it today. Anyone have one or got to shoot the Barrett Fieldcraft rifle?

The Ruger go wild is great. The barrel is a bit heavier contour, but the rifle is only like 7 pounds.

My brother lives just down the road from Murfreesboro.

Unless Howa has made HUGE strides in their QC, i'll never own another one!

Actually to be fair, it was a Vangard, made by Howa. Only rifle i was ever happy to sell!

The Ruger is a fine shooting rifle, from what experience i've had.
Unless it's a "thumper" caliber (450 Bushmaster for example) i prefer a longer barrel.

A 22" barrel in 7mm Rem Mag is why i'll never own a Mossberg Patriot either.

Last edited:
Unless Howa has made HUGE strides in their QC, i'll never own another one!

I'm sure there have been others but yours is the first complaint I've ever heard regarding the quality of Howa actions. Mine (a Vanguard) is a very well-constructed and finished action using excellent materials for the build. The trigger pull is excellent and I get good accuracy with factory ammunition in my .257 Weatherby-chambered rifle.
I'm curious as to where and how your example "went wrong".

The action was fine.
The barrel, not so much!
First gen Vangard in 243 Win.
First 3 shots inside 1" at 100 yards as advertised.
After that, groups grew literally exponentially!
Would let sit for 2 hours after 3 shots. Still issue.
Only after sitting overnight would 3 shot group be 1".
Free floated barrel, changed scope, had someone else shoot it, tried pressure in forestock. All with same results.
Response i got from factory was umm, less than enthusiastic. :rolleyes:

Hence while i'd love to get a 257 Weatherby, it will not be in Vangard form.

Oh, and Stag,
Go ahead and call her. I already told her about it. Made sense to her with "spring" turkey season coming up. :D

Hi kilotanker,

I'd go with a search engine. Many outfits such as Euro Optic will price match.

I've always associated Sauer with big bucks. I had no clue it had introduced a common man rifle.

I've had a bad hankerin' for a .222 Rem just about all of my life. It hit me real bad about a year ago. Research turned up Sauer Model 100 .222 Rem. I was strollin' in tall cotton. I bought a wood-stocked copy for $790.

I wasn't sure what to expect. The Sauer 100 lives up to German excellence and precision of its more expensive kinfolk. It's action is butter smooth. Heck, I'll dispense with the minutia baloney and push the button on the what your really wanna know: buy one. You won't be disappointed.

Tiny groups from an entry priced rifle manufactured by a German outfit known the world over for quality high dollar sporting rifles is a whole lot better than stump whiskey.

Kilo you are probably with in 1 hr of Euro optics. They're located in Montoursville, PA. just off 180.

I have a 16 WW in 260. With Accu-Stock and Accu-Trigger, it shot 1/2" inch out the box with the first 129gr loads. Been very pleased.

Back