New Rifle - Maybe a Savage 116?

Tn270

Inactive
So after 25+ years hunting with my Remington 7400 .270 I'm thinking about getting a bolt gun. I looked at Savage Axis II xp at my local Academy, but the bolt must be almost 90 degrees, fingers almost hit he scope when working the bolt, can't image doing that with gloves on. I found a almost new Savage 116 that I haven't looked at yet and wondered what you guys think about them, specifically the bolt? Besides the Savage what other budget rifles would you consider? Anyone have experience with the Winchester XPR's? And how do you feel about the Ruger American vs Savage vs XPR? Thanks guys, looking for help deciding on which should be my next rifle. I love the smooth action of the tika stainless but the $789 price is a little too much for my wallet. thanks guys

Last edited:
The Savage 110 will have the same bolt lift as an axis.

The Ruger American seems to be pretty decent according to just about everyone who talks about them. Although it had a 60 degree bolt lift so it shouldn't get in the way as much.

The Winchester XPR is next on my list of rifles to buy. Has the same trigger and Barrels as the Winchester Model 70. (Cold hammer forged and button rifled.) Also has a 60 degree bolt lift.

I have handled both. The Winchester XPR had a nicer stock than the Ruger. Felt firmer and shouldered and held better for me.

Thanks for responding, I thought Savages probably had the same 90 degree bolt. What about the triggers on XPR anyone have any complaints?

I also just started seeing the Weartherby Weatherguard model with the grey cerakote on it. Anyone have any info on their Weatherguard they'd like to share and maybe how it compares to the Winchester XPR? I think i'll either stick to the 270 or get a 6.5 creedmore , can't decide which.

A Savage Axis is a light weight(6.3 pounds), entry level, hunting rifle. It's bolt throw is 90 degrees. Still clears the scope though. The Package comes with a 40mm front Bushnell scope.

The Winchester XPR has the MOA Trigger. (Same as the model 70) the MOA trigger on my Model 70 was pretty good. Breaks clean and is adjustable.

The weatherby Vangaurd 2 has a 2 stage trigger that is actually pretty good. Although you will still have a 90 degree bolt lift.

The 90 degree bolt lift really isn't a problem if the appropriate bases and rings are used to mount the optic

"40 mm front"???
40mm objective??

People, me included, have been using a 90 degree bolt throw for over 120 years. (Well i'm not THAT old, but you get the picture)

Might want to think about the Tikka T3, or Browning ABIII.

To my knowledgethe Vangard series is essentially the Howa action, and it also is 90 degrees.
The Weatherby Mark V is 60 degree.

I have a 116 WW in 6.5x284 Norma that is a great gun has everything you could want in a bolt gun, and its good looking too !!!

I've had my Savage Model 116 (SE), chambered in .338 Magnum for over twenty years and have been well pleased with it. I like the "controlled feed" this Model 110 variant has and the 3-position safety most, if not all, Model 110 iterations have.
My s/s Model 116 has been accurate and reliable. It has a checkered walnut stock, iron sights and a unique muzzle brake that can be turned off or on with a flick of the wrist. A good rifle I would feel comfortable taking anywhere and hunting anything in North America or around the world, wherever the caliber is deemed "legal".

Another rifle worth looking at is the Thompson Center Venture.

I have one in 270 WSM. They are an excellent rifle. Good trigger that is definitely serviceable. They also have a 5R rifled barrel. My 270 wsm shoots lights out.

They have a weather shield model. Available in both 270 win and the 6.5 creedmoor. It has a 3 lug, full diameter bolt that is very smooth. With a 60 degree bolt lift. Also the inline magazine feeds excellent. Even with the short and fat 270 wsm Cartridge.

Wait....
"Controlled feed".?
On a Savage?
I'm thinking not so much. Every Savage i've ever seen has been push feed.

Wait....
"Controlled feed".?
On a Savage?
I'm thinking not so much. Every Savage i've ever seen has been push feed.

Regarding the "controlled feed" method of my Savage Model 116 SE, you'll recall that I said that it was a variant of the Model 110 bolt-action rifle. Quoting from the 1998 Savage Arms catalog describing the Model 116 SE: "...The stainless steel barreled action features Controlled-Round Feed, an Adjustable Muzzle Brake, special 3-leaf rear sight and a one-piece barrel band stud."

I guess it was only the WSM and RUM savage models produced prior to 2009 that had CRF. It was bugging me so I had to look it up.

I know both of the Savage model 10 rifles I had in wsm calibers were CRF.
Also My New Haven Produced 270 WSM. (Not pre-64) is CRF

Found out there's a gun show in Knoxville the weekend of the 16th, guess I'll check that out and hopefully be able to see several different models in one place.

Well, I didn't make it to the gun show this weekend in Knoxville, but visited Buds Gun Shop while passing thru Sevierville, Tn. They didn't have a Weatherby Weather guard model, but I got my hands on several Ruger Americans, a Savage 110 and many others. I've ruled out the Winchester XPR, it just didn't feel right in my hands. The Savage 110 felt pretty good and so did a stainless Ruger American with a green stock. I handled one of those new bronze/camo Americans and actually liked the green/stainless version better. Oh well, hopefully I'll get to check out a gun show closer to home in the near future and in the meantime keep looking/researching.

Savage may have called their rifles CRF. But if the bolt didn't have an external claw extractor AND a fixed ejector they were not true CRF, and they did not. There is a LOT more to CRF than having the extractor snap over the rim before going into the chamber. Sako tries to use that terminology too, but they aren't CRF either.

The WSM cartridges were not a good fit for Savage actions. They only allowed 2 in the magazine+1 in the chamber. It was POSSIBLE to load 3 in the magazine, but you couldn't close the bolt that way to get 3+1. Or 3 in the mag with a cold chamber. Just a SWAG, but I'm guessing that those fat cartridges wouldn't chamber in a Savage without the extractor going over the rim right out of the magazine. It wasn't really designed to do that, just an accident that Savage used for creative advertising.

I like the Ruger Americans well enough, especially the short actions based on the Predator. They are still a budget gun and the standard 4 round rotary magazines are the weak link. The Predators in 308 and 6.5 CM are available with a version that takes the Accuracy International magazines. This is a HUGE step up in quality, reliability, and durability. The 6.5 CM will kill anything your current 270 will kill. If going with a Ruger that is the way I'd go.

I'd be looking pretty hard at a Tikka too. They run around $600 in blue and $700 in SS. You won't get a more accurate rifle under $1000.

Back