New reproduction Garand vs WW2 original?

Skidooman wrote:

"Looking at buying a M1A Garand. Prices look similar new Springfield repo vs WW2 vintage. Which is the way to go?"

Hi there :)

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this; the M1A is not a Garand. It's essentially the civilian model M14, and of course there were no M1As of WWII vintage

I also recommend the CMP as many have mentioned. It is very surprising to me that anyone might post the CMP sells some sort of washed up or worn out rifle; their grading criteria is posted right on their site, and believe me, they stand behind what they sell. If there is a problem, they fix it. I got a 600 dollar M1 from them a while ago, ~2007. The bullet guide had a problem. I called them, they shipped me a replacement. No charge, no argument. I don;t know if the manufacturers of rebuilt receivers such as Springfield Armory will do that, but I know for a fact the CMP will do that.

It's been mentioned that Springfield Armory sells a 'pretty gun'. That is commendable and desirable.

Here is my 600 dollar Service Grade M1 from the CMP after I stripped the original USGI wood on the stock (yes, something of a sacrilege to many. If I had taken 'before' pics you would know why I went this route). It is a Springfield, made in 1944. Barrel is a Springfield, dated 1946. Bore looks brand new. I will not shoot this barrel out in my lifetime

M1three.jpg

Here is how the magazine looked when I got it. I had not cleaned any of the metal yet

m1seven.jpg

I spent some time refinishing the wood. I didn't want to replace it as it was USGI walnut. I found good handguards locally, 15 dollars for one, 25 for the other

Here is what it looks like now, although I use an M1907 type sling now and I swapped my HRA trigger group with a guy I know for an SA unit. Of course, the CMP only sold me the rifle

m1bayo.jpg

Chris, Springfield Armory Inc. started remaking Garands a few years ago. They aren't anymore, but you can still pick them up for $1,000.

Chris, Springfield Armory Inc. started remaking Garands a few years ago. They aren't anymore, but you can still pick them up for $1,000.

That's good to know, although I'm not interested in SA inc M1s, and I put a whopping 65 dollars into my Service Grade M1 that cost 600 bucks to produce what you see in the photos. I estimate my rifle's value at 900 dollars right now... the CMP does offer a good rifle. A 600 dollar CMP rifle is not the same rifle you see at gunshows for 600 bucks. Some folks think that if the CMP sells for 600, it's got to be junk, because they have seen 600 dollar rifles at show.

For 1,000 dollars....I'd be getting a CMP Correct grade. SA inc cannot duplicate things like original cartouches- nobody can. All anyone can do now is reproduce them. Criterion makes excellent barrels but nobody can make a new, correct dated original barrel in any condition

" [CMP] Correct Grade Rifles are similar to the Service Grade (above), but will show less wear and use. Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80% or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Prices start at $950."

I'm not telling anyone SA inc is bad or not a place to buy an M1. I just don't want a modern rebuilt rifle from a place that by definition does not produce USGI rebuilds, even if it were a fact that SA inc does it 'better'. SA inc owns the name but they are not the real armory. The real armory closed in 1968

I would however buy an M1A SOCOM from SA inc, in a heartbeat :)

Beautiful gun ChrisB! I would be more than pleased with one just like it!

Thank you. :) I get a lot of satisfaction from it because of all the work I did on the wood

M1s that nice or better are out there, no doubt, no matter who you buy from. prices aren't going down for them but they aren't prohibitive yet. I'm struggling with an M1 carbine purchase because I see that soon the prices for them- and the M1s- could be prohibitive

On one hand I don't really have the money- I bought a 22 pistol a few weeks ago. On the other, I may not have a chance to buy an M1 Carbine again.

Maybe I'll sell my Rickenbacker 4001, I haven't been in a band in ten years, that would pay for a carbine...

I personally would go with the old USGI rifle with the markings over a new rifle.

The new ones do have cast receivers and thats a bit of a no no in my book considering the forged receiver is much stronger.

We also have to realise that the USGI rifles have probably been rebuilt a dozen time each and likely to contain parts that originally were in dozens of other rifles over the decades. If it been rebuilt decently you have a rather good rifle.

If you have access to the CMP then that is easily the best way to go. I am not a citizen though so don't qualify. :(

We also have to realise that the USGI rifles have probably been rebuilt a dozen time each and likely to contain parts that originally were in dozens of other rifles over the decades. If it been rebuilt decently you have a rather good rifle.

There have been two major M1 rebuild programs. I doubt very much that there's been a single M1 out of 6mil that has been rebuilt a dozen times.

I'm not telling anyone SA inc is bad or not a place to buy an M1. I just don't want a modern rebuilt rifle from a place that by definition does not produce USGI rebuilds, even if it were a fact that SA inc does it 'better'. SA inc owns the name but they are not the real armory. The real armory closed in 1968

I would however buy an M1A SOCOM from SA inc, in a heartbeat

Great minds think alike :D

I have a CMP service grade HRA and just bought a SOCOM 16 from SAI. Putting the SOCOM in a USGI wood stock and slotted handguard, should look pretty cool.

It should be noted that the SAI reproductions also have cast recievers unlike the forged of the USGI from CMP. CMP rifles will always go up in value, and will last lifetimes if properly cared for.

skidooman603,
Be very careful of the CMP - they have too much "VERY" cool stuff.
It's like the old LAY's potato chip commercial bet ya can't eat (own) just one:eek:
Here's my tribe:
Mil-surprifles001.jpg

Top to bottom
44 Springfield Garand
53 HRA Garand
43 Remington 1903A3

A friend and I are driving to NYC in a week and the route conveniently takes us 6 miles away from the OH CMP store!!!

Are there any special requirements when buying from the store?

OK latis that is cruel and unusual punishment. How bout I move in next door and come borrow stuff from time to time? GREAT lookin rifles :D

skidooman603,
Thanks for the kind words!
I did not buy these all at one time; it was over a period of years - similar to what your doing. I'm not wealthy just weak when I go to the CMP store. ;)
Hey if you lived close, we'd definitely run a few rounds through em.
The guys at the CMP will guide you well!!!

Back