New reproduction Garand vs WW2 original?

Funny how in the Browning High Power it is just the opposite. The newer cast frames are stronger than the older forger ones. Users are cautioned not to use 9mm+P in the old forged ones, but the new cast ones are OK for 9mm+P and even offered in .40 S&W.

I am pretty sure my cast frame M1As and my cast frame M1 Garand and my cast frame BHPs will outlast my kids.

Recently on the M14 forum someone started a post on a bolt failure in a SA M1A Socom 16 complete with pics. Everybody jumped on the anti cast bandwagon until someone pointed out that the bolt in that gun was forged and not cast. Oooops. Kind of blew that cast sucks and forged is invincible argument out of the water.

Wow so much great info! I just became re-affiliated with a CMP approved club. Now I have to decide if I want to go that route and refinish or buy one from someone like the "GarandGuy" who has already redone the rifle. Call me a freak but I like my rifles to be in pristine condition. :D RT your Garand is SWEET! One just like that I could deal with!

I like the Service Grade rifles myself. Nice enough to win a casual match, but I don't feel like I'm destroying a rarity shooting it.

If I really wanted to spend some money and make a flat-out match winner, I'd buy a Rack Grade and have it rebuilt by Clint Fowler.

If you like your rifles in pristine condition (like I do) check out miltech in California. I got a 1943 winchester with all win. parts a few years ago. Their fit and finish are first rate. I think my next one will be a CMP correct grade though. Guys are getting some great rifles from them right now.

New reproduction Garand vs WW2 original?
Just to throw a wrench in the gears of reasoning here, there are no reproductions, only rebuilt military receivers. The "new" SA M1s are refurbished military receivers from foreign countries, built on tooling provided by the US governemnt to NATO member countries during the 1950s and 60s. They are brought in, stripped, receivers are rollmarked with SA info, then rebarreled and restocked, and out the door. So, you want a piece of war memorabilia, get a CMP rifle. You want a rifle that has never fired a shot in anger or self-defense? Get a SA. The SAs look nicer, that's all. Apples to apples, they are essentially the same thing.

A correct or collectors grade will be in almost new condition, there have been quite a few on the CMP forum posted that appear to have never been fired. The new SA inc. Garands have cast recievers instead of forged like the USGI ones.

Just to throw a wrench in the gears of reasoning here, there are no reproductions, only rebuilt military receivers. The "new" SA M1s are refurbished military receivers from foreign countries, built on tooling provided by the US governemnt to NATO member countries during the 1950s and 60s. They are brought in, stripped, receivers are rollmarked with SA info, then rebarreled and restocked, and out the door.

Everything I've ever read says that SA Inc used surplus Italian receivers for a short time waaaay back in the 70's and since then, has contracted with one or more firms to produce new receivers. The Lithgow marked SA Inc receivers I've seen was less than impressive in fit/finish.

Leaning towards getting the least expensive CMP I can get then sending it out to some place like "GarandGuy" and having it refurbished. Smart?:confused:

Leaning towards getting the... ...CMP I can get... ...Smart?
Extremely. I applaud the way you cut through all these posts and got to the fact of the matter.
I bought one of the $600 CMP Garands. Most rifle I have got for my money yet. Of course I do think my $250 Cherry's imports SKS is second, so maybe I am crazy. It is the best looking SKS I have seen.

Good luck.

Thanks John62. The more I read and watch utube videos ect, the more I want the original. Cool history. I'm only about 5 or 6 hours from Camp Perry, maybe when the confounded snow finally leaves I will load up the son and go pick one. Wonder? Do they let you do that? I see CMP is in same town.

Just to throw a wrench in the gears of reasoning here, there are no reproductions, only rebuilt military receivers. The "new" SA M1s are refurbished military receivers from foreign countries, built on tooling provided by the US governemnt to NATO member countries during the 1950s and 60s. They are brought in, stripped, receivers are rollmarked with SA info, then rebarreled and restocked, and out the door. So, you want a piece of war memorabilia, get a CMP rifle. You want a rifle that has never fired a shot in anger or self-defense? Get a SA. The SAs look nicer, that's all. Apples to apples, they are essentially the same thing.

That was a long time ago for a short time. Most if not all SAI garands that you will see for sale these days are built on a cast receiver.

CMP North Store is on the grounds of Camp Perry, and you can go there to pick out your rifle. That's what I did when I bought my M1 carbine. They have racks of rifles on the floor for you to pick through and examine. The only hard part if deciding which one to get!
Check the CMP website for store hours, and get there early.

i gotta a SPECIAL from CMP and as far as im concerned, it new. do not shoot store bought ammo out of it. shoot mil-surplus. and its 1/3 the price of new stuff

Those new SA ones look nice. I would like one of the Fulton Armory ones, but they are mucho expensive.

GarandRifle-after-cropped-600.jpg

Fulton Armory M1 Service Rifle

I like mine, it is an SA that was made in 4/44. I put a chrome lined .308 barrel on it and all the parts are like new. I once read an article that said the 'all original' M1 is almost non existent, because constant use in training and battle necessitate the replacement of parts. Most WW2 era models have probably had many of the parts replaced, maybe multiple times. Its possible to gather together all the correct parts and restore one to like original condition, but there are very,very few M1s that actually have all original factory parts.

attachment.php

My SA M1 that was made in 4/44, pictured with my 1943 Smith-Corona 03A3, original WW2 PAL Blade & Tool 10' M1 bayonet and Colt WWI Reproduction from the first run.

100_0187.jpg

Last edited:
Note that the HRA's currently being turned out by the CMP are in extremely good condition. You have significantly better chances of getting a shooter by going with an HRA service grade over the Springfield and HRA's are regarded to have the finest fit and finishes of the 4 original manufacturers of Garands.

Check out the CMP forums and you will pick up a lot of useful information there.

Mr BeCoole

I like the Service Grade rifles myself. Nice enough to win a casual match, but I don't feel like I'm destroying a rarity shooting it.

Sir: You cant destroy a M1 buy shooting it. I got my 1943 ventage M1 from CMP (then DCM) in '82. You'd be supprised the number of rounds I put through it, back then I was running Sniper Schools for the National Guard using M1C/Ds. I shot tons of ammo through my gun and it still shoots (actually shot a 1000 yard match with it last year).

With proper care, you can shoot them forever.

DCM%20M1.jpg

Last edited:
Back