New reproduction Garand vs WW2 original?

Depends on what's important to you. If you want an original weapon with flawless finish, then maybe new would be the way for you.

However, if you prefer a weapon with some history, character, charm perhaps, then you really want a vintage piece.

Just my .02, eclancy is very educated in the way of the M-1. Might not hurt to pm him.

musher, reasoning behind your preference? Thanks for info. Really want one but don't really care if it was battle used for the authenticity per se. want a quality flawless function weapon for high power shoots ect.

I prefer USGI myself, have two of 'em. I love the history thats attached to the GI rifles. You can literally spend hours upon hours looking up markings on the metal trying to figure our the story behind them. The GI rifles also have forged receiver as compared to a cast new receiver. Nothing wrong with a cast one, but different than what John Garand intended.
Springfield has discontinued the Garand, but you get a lifetime warranty if you buy one so take that into consideration. Also consider though, that they have no more receivers should you have a serious failure. If you search around, you'll find an article of a new Springfield Garand that had a catastropic failure. I just read a few days ago that Springfield could not replace it for him, but would credit him towards an M1A.

USGI; no question about it. Buy a service grade, and have it restocked and refinished if you want it to look new. It'll be better and still cheaper than the SA Inc one.

Why do you suppose SA Inc stopped making reproductions?

skid....try this idea. If you can find a new Springfield Inc. M-1 (have stopped making them) good. They cost about the same as a HRA/Springfield Correct grades from the CMP. This are post war rifles.

I ordered a HRA Correct grade not so long ago. I recieved a rifle with low, low rounds through it, a LMR barrel and nice correct wood. I took it to a ole Navy gun plummer who said the rifle was worth $2500.00. Could be worth more. I would say it was a nice investment. Heck, I should order another one.

You are not going to do this with a New Springfield Inc rifle.

True TimR. Kind of a horse trader and always buy something that has potential to stay even or rise in value. any brand in particular from CMP? Grade to price I should expect? Thanks a TON!

www.odcmp.com

Check rifle sales. I know I did alright with a H&R correct grade. I also bought a field grade Dane return while at Camp Perry in 07. Turns out this rifle was only about 3 parts from being WWII correct right down to an uncut op rod. I would suggest a guy always buy the best grade he can afford.

Yeah you do have to jump through some hoops for paper work, but once done you're good for 3 years.

USGI from CMP. No question about it. Mine was rebarreled in the 60s and put away until I bought it from the CMP. Shoots 1" at 200 yards with surplus ammo if I do my part. Best $520 I have ever spent.

The springfield rifles are top notch 100% good rifles and they dont have the round count or abuse that the used USGI rifles do. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The springfield rifles are top notch 100% good rifles and they dont have the round count or abuse that the used USGI rifles do. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

My HRA Correct grade has had a very few rounds through it. The LMR barrel, (best of the USGI's) cleaned right up. Bolt face showed no signs of wear, stock had few dings in it, blue is good and is correct for 1954 being 100% HRA. I would put it against any new Springfield Inc M-1 for value and target shooting. I was in the 10 ring on the 3rd shot on a reduced 100 yard target. I was shooting late Lake City ball which is not known for tack driving. I was thinking of using it for an up comming Korean War match which was won by a another HRA.

I decided to use my green M-1 which is in 308.

Attachments

• Green M-1308 003.jpg
    Green M-1308 003.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 110
CMP Garand- SA, six digit serial #, 1942 production
Own a piece of history!
IMG_4114.jpg

100% good is a stretch. The reciever and barrel might not have the round count, but you can rest assured that most everything else came off a USGI rifle and was reparkerized.

Some field grades I got from the CMP. I put a new stock (unfinished--$75) on the left one.
DSCN1306_edited.JPG

Abused Service Grade I picked out at the N. Store
1521329502_368cbf3863.jpg

Last edited:
Springfield has discontinued the Garand, but you get a lifetime warranty if you buy one so take that into consideration.

Who honors the lifetime warranty?

Will the new SA honor the old SA products?

(unless you mean that the new SA will honor the new SA Garands warranty?)

regarding Springfield Armory, as per Wikipedia:

In 1968, in a controversial economic measure, the Defense Department closed the installation. For almost two centuries the hilltop overlooking the Connecticut River had been an important place for the development and manufacture of arms for the American soldier. The facility evolved from a place where skilled craftsmen built, piece by piece, one musket at a time, into a center pioneering mass-production techniques, and finally into an institute famous for its research and development.

The site is now a museum run by the National Park Service, as the Springfield Armory National Historic Site. Some of the Armory buildings house Springfield Technical Community College (STCC).

In 1974, the Springfield Armory name was used by Robert Reese, who formed a new company to manufacture semi-automatic versions of the M14 rifle. This company, now owned and run by Reese's sons, manufactures a wide array of firearms under the Springfield Armory name. However, this company is not located near the former armory site and has no connection with the original National Arsenal. It is now located in Geneseo, Illinois. Springfield Inc.'s motto "The Oldest Name In American Firearms" while technically true, is misleading since the company has no connection whatsoever with the original Springfield Armory in Springfield Massachusetts.

Last edited:
This really is a no-brainer.

The M1 is the last US service rifle that you will ever be allowed to own without special paperwork that was actually used by USGIs.

Why do you suppose SA Inc stopped making reproductions?

They ran out of their supply of USGI parts. Also they probably found it hard to compete with the CMP and there was really no other big manufacturers making M14 clones so they decided to concentrate on that.

Who honors the lifetime warranty?

Why don't you Wikki Springfield Armory Inc? It seems pretty obvious that SAI will warranty SAI rifles like their version of the Garand. The OP asked about "new" M1s which we all took to mean ones made my SAI on their own receivers but with USGI parts and that have lifetime warranties much like their M1A rifles.

Back