New project 250-3000

Looks nice, Bill!

Try heating it, (not burning) with a propane torch. Really brings out the lines in the wood!

Of course if you don't like the results, your sanding it again. Lol

I'm still waiting on my stock builder for my bench rest rifle.

Waiting to see what it looks like before i decide on stain, or paint.

After playing with the Rifle Basix trigger, i finally got the pull down to a consistant 8 ounces with the safety still functioning properly.

Last edited:
Very nice, now which stock is that?

The Field Trekker looks very similar to the Wolverine that Colorado Redneck posted. Only it is not a thumbhole design.

I have a bottle of aqua fortis that I planned to use on the maple flintlock I've been working forever. That's one of the old ways: acid wash and warm it up. I need to think about that. Right now, I dug out my checking tools and am reviewing technique. I have an old "try" stock that I practiced on the last time, and I will do it again before I take a cutter to this one. I've only checkered one stock, and it worked fine, but it's very time consuming for an amateur. Maybe I'll just "whisker" it and hit it with the stain. Then she'll be ready for deer season, and I can get back to my Chambers militia musket on my other bench.

PS: It's the "Modern Classic" on Richards list.

That is gorgeous Bill--please post pics as you go--I'm especially interested in your hand-chequering. I too love the lighter toned woods--I adore a high grade yellow maple in particular.

OK, done (for this season at least). I used a Laurel Mountain walnut stain and TRU Oil finish. Yes, I wimped out on the checkering, maybe a winter project. Fit on this Richards "Microfit" was pretty good, but you'll be sanding tool marks for a long time. Myrtle as a stock material: This was not a fancy piece. It does have some figure, but not a lot. Pretty easy to work with. Sands well and where wood removal is needed, a sharp chisel makes easy work of it. (I did not have to remove much.) I have now done three of these Richards stocks: one each in claro walnut, maple, and now myrtle. If I do another, and I would buy another (sanding is good for me), I would spring for a fancier grade of American (not claro) walnut. But this one is going hunting.

Attachments

• Myrtle 4.jpg
    Myrtle 4.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Myrtle 1.jpg
    Myrtle 1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 11
Your rifle--but I would have bypassed the walnut stain to keep the natural beauty of the wood. But you need to get her out in the woods--I get it. ;)

Great looking rifle, you did a fine job . I really like how your stain blends with the caps . The whole package is a nice combo, not flashy but very classy .

Thanks for the comments. If I ever do a myrtle stock again, I will order a higher grade with more figure. Maybe pass on the stain altogether. As it is, I like this one, and I will probably use some winter downtime to checker it. Right now, I have a Chambers Militia Musket (10 ga.) to get back to, and I do want to take the 250-3000 hunting this year.

I took the rig to the range today with some 100 gr. Remington CoreLokt over Re-15. The scope is a "vintage" Redfield 3-9X, and it seemed off on the adjustments I dialed in. Finally, being close to where I wanted, I just ran 5 downrange, and they landed in about an inch. I have a newer Leupold 6X fixed that I might try. FWIW, my African PH recommended I set my variable on 6, and that worked fine for me.

I think you made the right choice by staining it , the myrtle did not have enough figure for my eyes . I like light colored stocks as long as they have some contrast in the wood . My favorite rifle sports a birdseye maple stock by Bishop done many years ago .

Sound like you will have no problems dialing it in from your initial results . Congrats.

Not so sure I would have stained it, the beauty of myrtlewood is in its lightness and grain. That said, a very light stain to accent the figure usually works nicely. Like this.
6CS0CsD.jpg
AAA myrtlewood from Richards, Mark X Mauser 98 action, 22-250, 28" barrel

Sorry, but I don't see "figure" in that stock . The OP's stock has more going on than that and looks better to me . Just my opinion of course .

Photos don't always capture the look. You have to let the light play on it. I'm actually a little disappointed in my pictures; it looks better in person. But hey, if everyone agreed, this would be a boring forum.

If you hold it in your hand, it's figured from one end to the other.
Ok, I could not see any , enlarged it also . Like you say, when it's in your hands it's very different . I meant know offense, just could not see it. It is a fine looking rifle for sure .

Back