"(New PA $25 bounty) on coyotes

You'd get more than $25 for the fur. Trapiing is the most effective way to get rid of yotes. Lots of guys catch 50+ a year.

Another possible negative is in something I have read stated that increased hunting pressure leads to increased breeding. Has anyone else heard that, or confirm that it happens?

I've read a couple of papers that said coyote's response to heavy hunting pressure was to increase litter size. :eek:

"Litter size significantly increased in the removal area 2 years after the beginning of exploitation.
However, changes in litter size were confounded by changes in the prey base. Litter size was
significantly related to rabbit abundance, while rodent abundance was less of a factor influencing
reproductive effort. Accounting for both changes in prey abundance and coyote density, litter
size was significantly related to total prey abundance/coyote. With increasing prey and reduced
coyote density, mean litter size doubled in the removal area compared to pre-removal levels" http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1118&context=icwdm_wdmconfproc

Last edited:
With increasing prey and reduced
coyote density, mean litter size doubled in the removal area compared to pre-removal levels"

In reading the paper, it sounded like they studied and area that was hunted hard and then hunting was stopped. Then they observed the return of more coyotes. I also noted from the paper that the increased litter size was linked to an increase in the rabbit population following the removal of the coyotes.

Based on their findings, I suggest that as PA hunters begin lowering the coyote population, they should also increase their rabbit hunting. This will keep both the rabbit and coyote populations in check. :rolleyes:

I havent seen a rabbit on my piece of ground in at least 20 years. But, we have plenty of coyotes. Its not just rabbit. Grouse, turkey, fawn, etc...

Back