"(New PA $25 bounty) on coyotes

The increased breeding thing might work with herd animals like deer, but not fox or coyote. I used to trap heaviley when I was younger and fox and coyote are "Spill over" animals. The youngsters disperse in the fall and sometimes go for miles looking for "Their place". That is how PA probably became overrun with them to begin with.

The Brush Wolf was the original animal in the east and is long gone .The coyote has taken it's place.
There is an interesting study that shows in the NY and PA coyotys 20 % have wolf genes !! That explains those big ones we see in the east !
The tests included DNA and visual exam of the skulls .Yes the difference is obvious !
The coyote is efficient hunting alone for small animals and in packs for deer sized animals.

I see you are from Allentown. If you know where the old Zinc mines are (Near the Promanade ), I remember a guy catching one there about 30 years ago. They were around, but not overrun with them like now.

Yeah, quite a few more now. In the fall of 2012 I was out for archery in Schnecksville. While it was still dark I just sat there listening to five different coyotes howling. I would say just about every time I go out I see at least one. Called one in with a distress call and have also called one in by accident while out for spring turkey. So much for my turkey calling skills.:rolleyes:

Hmmm...

I may have to get aquainted with this. Atleast it could be a good excuse to get in the woods a little more.

DCNR put up $700000 for the bounty. That's based on 28000 coyotes killed. I don't think it has passed yet, and from what I've read the PGC is against it.

Any details on how to collect? I just need to know what part of the 'yote I need to keep and who to take them to. In Utah its the head or bottom jaw.

That's the first I've heard of it but I unfortunately spend the majority of my time on a gas well pad.

We do have some big ones here though! A few years ago I killed a female coyote that tipped the scales at 62 pounds! I sold it to a taxidermist friend who was looking for a pretty yote. For his shop.

She was healthy too. Next time I see him I will get a picture of the mount and post

There you have it. The bill was passed allocating the cash, but nobody is giving it out. Still a rumor until I see where to get the money.

The fashion designers just need to make coyote fur coats popular.
That would take care of things in a hurry.

You hit the nail on the head there. The collapse of the US fur trade has created overpopulation problems for several species.

I smell a coyote tag coming up.

My thoughts also. I also don't like the state putting taxpayer money into the game commission.

I have a nice plot in Tioga Cnty, less than a mile from NY.. Years ago we had a fair number of hogs and it was very rare to see or hear a yote. Now its hard to sleep some nights with all the yotes, but no pigs at all. Out of 12 guys hunting 260+- acres last year we pulled 2 dear in a week. The question is, if we blast all the yotes back to earlier numbers will it give a chance for pigs to move back?
Either way I will be looking for yotes on the days im on the property. Bounty or not they are killing the hunting. Deer, grouse, turkey are all getting to be a rare sight.

It is almost funny to think the same group of folks can, with the stroke of their mighty pens, declare an animal "endangered", and thereby protected from human endangerment....or declare the same animal a nuisance, and even pay to have it killed. Oh to imagine a life devoid of politicians....

Back