New mini revolver from Inter Ordanance

The Ranger was a VERY limited production of top-breaks. Basically a test run. My understanding is that the time required to hand fit them made production less than feasible for NAA.

Understood... but like I said, if they come out with it again, I would buy one.

If Rangers weren't going for $2,600 on GunBroker... I'd consider finding an original.

The cast frame looks rough..... I wonder if it could stand up to 22 magnum power.

I want a swing out mini in 22 mag.

NAA is rethinking a top break IIRC to be more reasonable to produce.

From what I've seen, MSRP on the originals was $499. If they increased it to $799, I'd probably still consider it... mainly due to it being so cool.

Top breaks aren't a hard design to produce, but shrinking it to that size, and keeping it strong to handle .22 Magnum makes it a little more challenging. But I don't like pulling the cylinder completely out for reloading. The Sidewinder is a great option, but a top break would go along nicely with it.

Look, I can only evaluate what I see. The gun pictured looks crudely finished. I especially don't like the screw in the middle of the frame.

In my opinion, single-action mini-revolvers are meant to be eye-candy more than a practical self-defense weapon. So, if someone makes one of these, I'd expect it to be sweet-tasting to my eyes, or really unique for me to even consider purchasing one.

To bring such a crude looking offering to the biggest industry show in the world is really curious. Especially if they plan to "clean it up" before bringing it to market. If they plan to clean it up before bringing it to market. As-is it looks more in line with something having a MSRP in the $150 or less range.
If I spend $200+ for a novelty range toy I at keast want it to look pretty too. Yes, I have cheap guns with a low end finish. But I didn't pay the same price as my nicer guns for them.

The biggest issue with anyone releasing a new mini-revolver is NAA.

They really have that niche carved out well and I doubt anyone can produce the same quality they can for the same (or lower price).

The biggest issue with anyone releasing a new mini-revolver is NAA.

They really have that niche carved out well and I doubt anyone can produce the same quality they can for the same (or lower price).

That is correct... anyone that has handled a NAA revolver knows it will last pretty close to forever. It is a similar quality that companies like S&W used to be known for.

A fun gun to shoot.

CEB8CCCA-B8F8-4815-93EB-F3C43FFB9C89_zpstvp2rjcy.jpg

NAA revolvers are not that great...
The one I owned had to go back for barrel replacement after part of it broke off, and it took over three months.
When I called them asking about it after a month, they were rude to me.
As soon as it finally came back, I sold it, and never touched another NAA products t.

I find the price e of NAA mini revolvers to be ridiculous, and the price of this IO offering even more so.

Im not going to condemn the IO just yet. At a price of admission a hundred plus dollars cheaper than the NAA, it could be worth a first hand look.

A lot are commenting on how NAA's quality is top notch and compared to the IO Valkyrie. Remember, the selling point of this revolver is it is basically an NAA Sidewinder design of a mini revolver with a swing out cylinder at over $100 less than the Sidewinder is and on top of that, it's in .22 LR, not .22 Mag which means it's going to be cheaper to shoot.

I'd argue that it will also be noticeably unnoticeable in power to the .22 Mag from such a short barrel.

If you get an NAA Sidewinder and want to shoot .22 LR, you'd have to pay around $200 more than the IO for the .22 LR cylinder.

Loaders with swing out minis

I wonder if the new IO mini cylinder swings out far enough to use my little loaders?

They won't work with the Sidewinder, they hit the grip.

If you get an NAA Sidewinder and want to shoot .22 LR, you'd have to pay around $200 more than the IO for the .22 LR cylinder.

And you'd have the .22 Magnum capability... where as you don't with IO. Can't go bigger in a gun that was built to only fit a LR round.

Pros/cons to whichever angle you want to look at it.

The .22 magnum is not much more (if any) effective than the LR from a mini revolver.
It's just a lot louder.

I don't have any controlled experimental data but I have shot more than one possum with my NAA mini using both the .22LR and .22 Magnum cylinder. The .22 Magnum has been much more effective.

Darkness, shot placement, and various other factors all present confounding variables but it is more than one or two with each and the difference is noticeable.

I'll even go one further than that!
The .22lr version is hardly more effective than the .22 short.
The short was designed as a handgun cartridge. The LR and magnum are rifle rounds. The LR is OK once you get to 5"-6" barrels-but it develops max velocity at around 16". At 1.5" it's pretty weak.
Even the .22 WRM "short barrel" rounds need about 6" of barrel to show much improvement of standard WMR.

Back