New in box Winchester 94 shoot or not?

I have yet to purchase a Winchester 94 that I didn't want to shoot and I have 8 pre-models and one onlyest 70s 94 model. The 70s model I felt obligated to purchase from a widow to which I gave w-ay more $$$ for than its actual worth. :)

Take that 30 wcf Winny out and shoot it. Then come and tell us the results of your enjoyment.

What's the big deal about the Angle Eject models? So they milled about .75" off the right side of the receiver opening, drilled and tapped the receiver in 2 different places and changed the location of the ejector. Most people wouldn't know it was any different from a regular M94. They also tightened up the lever to keep it from rattling so much when open.

I'm not sure that 10 year old gun holds any value being new in box. Now a Pre 64 new in box probably would.

That's probably true, at least for now.

OTOH, that valuable pre-64 NIB gun got that way because nobody took it out of the box and shot it when it was 10 years old.

I bet if he'd asked the same question in 1968, everybody would have said to shoot it then too.

So to address the OP's question, it depends. The gun isn't enough of a collector's item to be worth saving now. It is one of the last Winchester 94s made in the US.

The real question is "How much do you need a hunting rifle?". If you have a real use for it, shoot it. If you don't, don't. I wouldn't shoot it just because you can't stand owning a gun you haven't shot.

Also, a word of caution, about slinging the term idiot around. Personal attack are against forum rules. You can consider an opinion idiotic, but not the person who voices it.

44AMP,

"STAFF" and/or resident "GURU" as you deem yoursef...I called no one an idiot...and you know that.

The performance of that gun was not affected by the change...everyone knows why the changes were made....just like changes have been made to most everything in this society, over time.

Most of us have guns made prior to these changes being made. However, many have come along since they were made...why is it necessary to make them feel like fools if they happen to have these later guns...that function just like they are supposed to. Does it make the detractors feel good to make people feel bad about owning these guns that there is absolutely nothing wrong with. Does is make the detractors feel BIG...because they have the original design of the model.

I just do not understand the constant deriding of this gun and the Marlin. It just makes no sense...but, I guess I need to take into account where this happens...and by whom.

It would be much more constructive and make more sense to stop beating this dead horse. Honestly...this change was made more than 2 decades ago for the Winchester and more than 3 decades ago for the Marlin...stop mentioning this NON-ISSUE that has no bearing on how the gun functions.

Last edited:
So to address the OP's question, it depends. The gun isn't enough of a collector's item to be worth saving now. It is one of the last Winchester 94s made in the US.

The real question is "How much do you need a hunting rifle?". If you have a real use for it, shoot it. If you don't, don't. I wouldn't shoot it just because you can't stand owning a gun you haven't shot.

I don't really need to shoot it, I could let it sit forever which was my original plan when I bought it. Then I started doing some reading and as stated previously it seemed that people would rather have a used one with no safety which seemed to negate any benefit of having this one new in box.

So if the safety "ruins" the gun and keeping it new box isn't going to add anything I thought maybe, just maybe I would shoot it. But I do keep thinking that there aren't going to be anymore of these and maybe it should be left as it is.

I appreciate all the input so far.

?????

Sell the one in the box, shoot the one ya already got.

Or store the one in the box away, and shoot the one ya got.

Why would shooting the NIB gun even be considered, given you already have a 94?

Seems pretty simple to me.

One more thing to consider is if it is an AE and you are inclined to use it hunting or shoot at distant targets, then you could mount a scope low (kinda) and over the bore. A little 1X4 Leuplod would go nice on it.

If I did take it out to shoot it I think it would feel strange considering the guy before me was holding onto for so long.

Well see? Wasn't that nice of the original owner to buy a gun and never shoot it so someone else can have the pleasure of firing it for the first time?

Its not a high dollar gun like a Purdy or some custom made firearm. I would shoot it. There are lots of old 94s for sale that have been shot a bunch and still bring good money. So shooting them didn't really hurt the value.

This reminds me of the scene in Open Range where Robert Duvall went into the store before the big shoot out and buys cigars and a couple of candy bars. He takes a bite of the candy bar and remarks how good it is. The store owner says he has never tried them because he can't afford them. Robert Duvall says "its right here in front of you and you never tried it".

Go try your gun. Don't save it for someone else to shoot. Would I shoot it? You're dang right I would.

It has never occurred to me that guns are bought to be sold. There are many things that are bought and sold with the objective of making a profit.
Well, I'm not speaking about "buying guns to sell them", I'm speaking about guns being MADE... for the select purpose of being SOLD. People constantly profess that guns are made to be shot, and I simply don't agree. Guns are made to be sold.

What's the big deal about the Angle Eject models? So they milled about .75" off the right side of the receiver opening, drilled and tapped the receiver in 2 different places and changed the location of the ejector. Most people wouldn't know it was any different from a regular M94. They also tightened up the lever to keep it from rattling so much when open.

They don't look right and I don't want the top of my 94 receiver D&T.

No real reason to shoot it if you have one you already shoot. The question should be whether to sell now or sell later, and what are your prospects? If it's a $600 rifle now and a $600 rifle in 5 years, I'd probably sell it now and get something I like more, or something that will appreciate more.

They don't look right and I don't want the top of my 94 receiver D&T.

Well my Marlin Texan 30/30 looks fine to me....

attachment.php

Deaf

Attachments

• 20161118_141623.jpg
    20161118_141623.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 521
Marlins don't really excite me. I had a couple of Marlin 1894's in .44 mag but didn't keep them long.

"I'll keep my old top eject Winchester thank you very much."

I would not have an old top eject winchester....if it was given to me.

Back