New Hi-Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Hickok45 had repeated problems with the one he tested jamming. See about 8:35 in video. Hardly what I would call well above average performance and reliability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNx0Ql2ZZw

Any tests like this with the Hi Point Pistol? SIG SP2022 shot 5000 rounds flawlessly about as fast as the guy could shoot it. Measured temperature inside slide got to almost 350 F. I guess that is why the thick gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWxtXFy9FSQ

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/flVBPpKG4zA

If the Hi Point fans can stomach the gentle ribbing in some of his comments, I think this is overall a fair review.

Again, I don't hate the pistols. I just won't go so far as to say they're as good as anything out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Like I said I understand why people buy them and I don't hate them. But that doesn't make them the equivalent of other firearms. Is it better than not having a firearm? Sure and I think many are surprised how well they can work. But if the argument is they're the equal of anything on the market then we've gone passed appreciation and entered the realm of denial.

To go to Fishbed's earlier point, here is a S&W Shield for $250 shipped https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...ld-9mm-centerfire-pistol-with-no-thumb-safety. Now that's about $90 more than I can find the Hi Point. To me the difference in ergonomics, size (making concealment an option), trigger, sights, and in my experience and from what I've seen elsewhere reliability I think the cost difference is worth it. Someone may say, "I can't afford the $90". I get that, but I have to comment that $90 over the life of a firearm isn't much. If the argument is also that the person can barely afford $160, then I have to ask can that person afford ammunition to actually practice with the pistol? Because without any practice or instruction a pistol may be of limited use. It's absolutely your right to buy one, but just understand the limitations of trying to use a tool with no experience.

Last edited:
Any tests like this with the Hi Point Pistol? SIG SP2022 shot 5000 rounds flawlessly about as fast as the guy could shoot it.
But if you do wear out a sig do they re place it with a new one? Hi-Point does.

Any Sig Pistols torture tested like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4&t=10s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HXtEvjlGg&t=85s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE
Or this?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZdUgBzh7Y
And this with warranty coverage?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3KnoiheeGbM
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...966620AA19CE5AD3AB32966620AA19CE&&FORM=VRDGAR

If the argument is also that the person can barely afford $160, then I have to ask can that person afford ammunition to actually practice with the pistol?
So now there is a financial test to exercise your Constitutional rights?
BTW, my C9 runs perfectly on the cheapest Chinese steel cased crap I can find. So I'm sure that after the $160, or less used, someone on a tight budget can get a box or two of ammo to learn, and practice.
I will bet there are plenty of Smiths, Rugers, Walthers, and even Sigs that get maybe one mag full, if that much, shot through them then put away. The price of the gun doesn't always relate to the amount of training and practice the owner does.

I wonder if the take down is easier on the new model for a basic field strip. I've often thought if I had current model, I would just lock the slide back, put some CLP on the rails and shoot it. Then when I needed to clean it, I would run a brush through it backwards, and spray it down with CLP and wipe it as best I could and let the CLP do the rest.

I also wonder if the current C9 will go away and this model will replace it. Or if the new model will be sold for a higher price? If they discontinue the C9 and this one sells for $159, they will sell a bunch of them.

But if you do wear out a sig do they re place it with a new one? Hi-Point does.

Any Sig Pistols torture tested like this?
So your answer is no to such relevant tests on the reliability and durability of the Hi Point pistol, mostly silly YT abuse videos.

The SP2022 comes with a lifetime warranty and the French have bought over a quarter million of them for their police agencies after very extensive testing. Never heard of a SP2022 wearing out and rarely hear of any problem with the SP2022.

Warranty does one little good if the pistol craps out when you need it most.

Last edited:
So now there is a financial test to exercise your Constitutional rights?

BTW, my C9 runs perfectly on the cheapest Chinese steel cased crap I can find. So I'm sure that after the $160, or less used, someone on a tight budget can get a box or two of ammo to learn, and practice.

I will bet there are plenty of Smiths, Rugers, Walthers, and even Sigs that get maybe one mag full, if that much, shot through them then put away. The price of the gun doesn't always relate to the amount of training and practice the owner does.
It's fun that you ignored the point I make in the following sentence that explicitly says it's your right to own a firearm regardless.

It's my right in my state and locality to buy a katana and use it for home defense. If I never use or train with the katana my chances of doing well with it aren't as good as they might be otherwise. Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to own one? No, as I explicitly said about firearms above. One does have to be realistic though. If someone came to me and said they were going to buy a handgun, and IDC if it was a Wilson Combat, and told me they had neither the time or money to shoot or train with that pistol then I might suggest something else, even another firearm. Proficiency with firearms, especially handguns, isn't usually innate. This isn't the Music Man where we can think it in our heads and we'll play perfect music. It's our right to do whatever is within the scope of the law, but it's also prudent to consider our own limitations.

You're right that the cost of the firearm doesn't always directly indicate how much someone spends on ammo, but just because a person such as yourself exists it doesn't mean that the norm is to buy a Hi Point and then put hundreds of rounds through it either. If someone is willing to spend the money to shoot hundreds of rounds, then I'd again point to my comments above where I note that for not much more you could get a pistol that has, as I laid out, what I think could be seen as a number of advantages. Compared to the costs of hundreds of rounds of ammo that price difference starts looking less significant, at least to me, over the life of the firearm.

I've noticed a tendency in this thread to regard potential negatives about the Hi Point or cost considerations as judgements about the people that would buy them. The Hi Point is an inanimate object. It doesn't care what I or others think about it, and despite thoughts to the contrary it is possible to judge an object based on its merits without judging the people that buy it.

Last edited:
Just silly YT abuse videos
Those "silly" youtube tests aren't done on a Sig, or any other "approved" brand because they know it wouldn't last past the first one!
I am neither knocking Sig (#1 for my IWB carry is a P320 Carry), no claiming that a Hi-Point is a superior weapon. Just that they are not the total junk that some insist. They have a place as an affordable pistol for those that for various reasons don't want to, or aren't able to pay more.
Do I recommend one to someone I know can afgord more for a first gun? No. Will they do the job for someone who can't pay more, absolutely.
I think I mentioned earlier that I bought a new C9 just to see if they could possibly be as bad as some claimed. Then was very supprised how accurate, and reliable they actually are.

I completely agree with Glenn and Cheapshooter. The difference in price of a higher end pistol and a Hi-Point is insignificant to many here. For those who live on edge of survival, that difference may determine whether a self defense handgun is available. TunnelRat $90 is a lot of money if you don't have it.

I see/hear people all the time criticizing poor folks for not taking advantage of all of the wonderful gun and ammo opportunities that depend on having cash readily available. While buying smart is a great practice at all economic levels, there are many who are just trying to live from day to day. Most of us have no idea of that struggle.

Many of these people live in areas where poverty and violence are endemic. The need for a self defense weapon is very real. Hi-Point offers a decent firearm at a good price to people of every socioeconomic status. I think that is as American as apple pie.

I completely agree with Glenn and Cheapshooter. The difference in price of a higher end pistol and a Hi-Point is insignificant to many here. For those who live on edge of survival, that difference may determine whether a self defense handgun is available. TunnelRat $90 is a lot of money if you don't have it.

I see/hear people all the time criticizing poor folks for not taking advantage of all of the wonderful gun and ammo opportunities that depend on having cash readily available. While buying smart is a great practice at all economic levels, there are many who are just trying to live from day to day. Most of us have no idea of that struggle.

Many of these people live in areas where poverty and violence are endemic. The need for a self defense weapon is very real. Hi-Point offers a decent firearm at a good price to people of every socioeconomic status. I think that is as American as apple pie.

Nothing I have said criticizes people of different means than myself. What I do is make points about cost as they relate to the differences between Hi Points and other firearms and the cost of firearms over time. I honestly think some people are reading a lot more into what has been said than was there to begin with.

TunnelRat my use of your $90 was just to make the point that value and cost of ownership are often secondary to urgency and necessity. I mean no disrespect.

Then there are those....

Try having health issues, and affordability. Someone making six figures is generally considered to be making a decent living.

I know of such a person, they brought their prescription to the pharmacist to fill. Surprise, the cost for one prescription.....4,100.00

My point in keeping with the thread is there are fairly high income individuals who barely survive due to medical costs.

It ain't how much you make, it's how much you get to keep. So you order your meds from Canada, where the above prescription costs....410.00 dollars. Ya 410.00 bucks a month beats 4,100.00 bucks a month. It still puts a real crimp in your style to have that med expense monthly.

Sorry for the thread drift, point being you can be making a nice living and still be poor. Insurance is of little help when they deem a drug as experimental. They pay nothing on many drugs that save lives.

Over time being the fatal flaw in this line of thinking. Amortization being completely foreign to the economics of someone just barely getting by.
I don't see pointing it out as a fatal flaw. Cost over time is something all of us need to keep in mind, it's not just a concern of the wealthy.

If the gun is to be used only in the rare emergency and not used for practice/competition, the cost over time is irrevelant as compared to the initial cost.

If the gun is to be used only in the rare emergency and not used for practice/competition, the cost over time is irrevelant as compared to the initial cost.
Then that still ignores the differences in features for the price (whether those differences matter to the end user is certainly a question, but the differences remain). As for purchasing the pistol and then never practicing with it, I have comments on that above.

Again, my whole argument has been yes a Hi Point works and works better than many expect, but saying it is as good as other more expensive options seems a bit of an oversell to me. I'm a bit at a loss as to how that's an unreasonable argument. Nothing I have said says that Hi Points are terrible and that people that can't afford more aren't worth considering or shouldn't be allowed to have them (despite some comments above).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back