New Hi-Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here.

It's just a re-warmed version of the same old design with some questionable additions (grip safety).

I purchased a brand new S&W M&P Shield for $215 not very long ago, and it's a better firearm in every single respect than this new Hi Point. Unless this Hi-Point undercuts that price by a significant amount ($100?), I don't see where it's relevant to anyone putting any thought into the purchase.

Which admittedly may be be Hi-Point's primary market.
Right but Shields aren't always $215. You're comparing a very good sale to a standard price. The best I can find the original Shield now is $249 at PSA. For a retail location it's likely a fair amount more than that. Not sure what the cheapest Hi Point online is.

To be clear, would I save and spend the extra? Yes. But I'd also go further than a Shield. Different price points always exist.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Right but Shields aren't always $215. You're comparing a very good sale to a standard price. The best I can find the original Shield now is $249 at PSA. For a retail location it's likely a fair amount more than that. Not sure what the cheapest Hi Point online is.

To be clear, would I save and spend the extra? Yes. But I'd also go further than a Shield. Different price points always exist.

Agreed.

But here's my point. With a little bit of research there is almost always going to be a better budget option for your need. <$200 surplus Star BMs & CZ-82s (granted - no factory support on those options), $250 new Shields and SD9VEs. Plenty of other used guns.

The Hi-Point, as I see it, has two market audiences. Those who are looking for a new pistol with the absolute cheapest price, with no other considerations factored in and no will to do a little research or forethought, and those knowing exactly what they are getting and wanting them for the fun/irony/internet notoriety of the design.

I imagine the features like the threaded barrel, optic mounting point, and accessory rail play well to that second demographic. Considering the thought of a $500 optic, $200 weaponlight, and $800 suppressor on a $150 pistol makes me chuckle. Honestly, I hope someone does it and puts it on the web for us to enjoy.

Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. Just my observations and worth what is paid for them.

One thing to consider with the new magazines is that they were designed to be used with parts also used in the C9... probably the bolt. So, what I'm thinking here is Hi Point has a plan in the works to use these same mags in updated carbines too. Since they're also going to make larger capacity magazines, they'll be a perfect fit for the carbines.

If you like the current carbines Hi Point makes, imagine that same carbine with straight 20 round factory magazines.

Very smart move by Hi Point, they're setting themselves up for long term success.

Fishbed, I think I am in catagory 3. Or maybe what you could call 2.1
I bought a Hi-Point C9 a few years ago. At a time that Hi-Point hatred seemed to be at a peak, and before the Torture Test videos proved the naysayers wrong. My reason? Simply to see if they could possibly be as bad as the haters all claimed. Most of whom had never owned or even shot one. What I found was a very accurate, fun shooting, reliable 9MM pistol.......So I bought a used JHP (45acp) model to go along with my C9. Incidentally, I found the same to be true with the JHP. Now it needs a big brother in a 4595TC Carbine.:D

Now it needs a big brother in a 4595TC Carbine.

I won't lie. I've been tempted by the thought of a Hi-Point carbine, but that 10-round capacity has always been a deal-breaker.

And between 9mm ARs and a CZ Scorpion Evo3, I'm set on that front. ;)

Thanks to the link to the video of the new Hi-Point. Nice to know that same things stay the same --- it's a butt-ugly gun. :)

Obvious you want to bash the gun. I find your comments totally unnecessary and frankly low class.
As far as tactical, well maybe, I would say most are. Or it could be a way to get a nicer balanced carbine that is easy to shoot. I do not know much about he HIPOINT carbines, other than the time I was at the range and a guy was shooting one with excellent results. And this guy was no slouch to guns. I only wish I had his collection of CZ's, Sigs, and on and on. He had a lot of positive things to say about the Highpoint carbines. Seemed to know then inside and out. A very interesting conversation.
What a shame you could not have been there to debate him. Maybe you know more about HiPoints than he does, sounds like it. Maybe you have a Carbine 9mm that shot better. Would have loved to seen yours.

Dress up a pig.....

You still got a pig.
All be it a rugged, reliable, accurate pig.
Were vehicles built by the Checker Cab Company ugly as a pig? Darn right. But just like a Hi-Point pistol they did what they were designed and built to do. Did it well, and did it reliably.

Thinking of getting one.

I am thinking of getting one, to be used as a sometimes shooter at the range but more for home protection. After reading about how the police can seize a gun if someone is shot and killed during a break in and maybe returning it later I am less likely to use my Glock 21 now. If it is a lone burgler I will use my Ruger LCP as it is the older model and inexpensive. if I have reason to believe the intruders are a mob and armed, heck yeh, I will use the Glock. But it would be nice to use the Hi-Point instead.

For 14 years (650 rounds put through it) I carried and shot a Raven (pot metal) P-25 chrome plated .25 ACP pistol and it served me well, sold it to a friend after the slide started to stretch and he wanted it for shop protection, the accuracy had fallen off but it was still 100% reliable. Best deal for only $65.00 new at the time. Got my money's worth.

Some people have to count every cent. That's the answer and they seem to work.

If you think someone with limited funds should have a better gun, buy it for them.

Some people have to count every cent. That's the answer and they seem to work.

If you think someone with limited funds should have a better gun, buy it for them.
Sometimes, it is not a matter of whether you can afford better or not. I bought a Hi-Point because it was the most affordable tool to do the job I bought it for. Why buy a more expensive higher quality tool when a more affordable tool will do the job? I retired debt free at 55 because I am a cheapskate and proud of it.

Sometimes, it is not a matter of whether you can afford better or not. I bought a Hi-Point because it was the most affordable tool to do the job I bought it for. Why buy a more expensive higher quality tool when a more affordable tool will do the job? I retired debt free at 55 because I am a cheapskate and proud of it.
Because sometimes there are differences between the tools. I don't have anything against Hi Points or the people that buy them. They are not, in my experience, as reliable as other firearms. That has more to do with the magazines than the action. There is also the fact that for the size and weight you're not getting much capacity. As others have pointed out, there are some options that aren't that much more.

There's a line between recognizing that something works and not being willing to recognize its limitations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I see Hi Point pistols as the Harbor Freight brand of handguns. They work OK usually, are very affordable, and have a great warranty but they are not as good performers or reliable/durable as Milwaukee, Bosch, or Makita. Not everyone can afford, has the need for, or appreciates tools like Milwaukee, Bosch, or Makita.

Oh my goodness! That's hideous! I don't mind the way the Hi Points look, kind of an obese Hk P9 without rollers, but that new one really does look bad to me.

As far as the rest of it goes, its neat to see them make changes and add features without changing the price, they still have a better business model than just about any other manufacturer out there.

They work OK usually, are very affordable, and have a great warranty but they are not as good performers or reliable/durable as Milwaukee, Bosch, or Makita.
The Hi-Points I have work far better than "OK", and do it always, not usually. Yes, they are quite affordable, and have an unbeatable warranty. As to performance, I have a C9 that is probably the most accurate 9MM I have. Amongst pistols from Walther, Beretta, Kahr, Glock, Star, FNH, and Sig. I also have a Hi-Point FMJ that shoots as well as any 45acp pistol I have from S&W, and Colt.
Harbor Freight afordability, with reliability, and performance well above average would be a much better description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back