New Henry Dirty Barrell

Personally, I'd be embarrassed to ship a gun to have somebody else clean the barrel. :)

Run some jacketed through, use a brush, try some JB.
If it doesn't come out sparkling clean but still shoots fine, I'd just go with the flow.
Denis

^^^
Running around buying cleaning stuff can easily be preferable to dealing with the post office or the common carriers when it comes to shipping a firearm.
Far too many clerks don't know their own company rules, let alone the laws.

In response to the question originally asked, yes. I too recently bought my first Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 magnum. I am 56 and have owned hundreds of firearms. My Henry was by far the dirtiest "New" gun I have ever owned. I used Hoppe's original twice a day for about a week. After the first twenty-five or so rounds she cleaned up fine. But I thought it was weird.

Definitely seems weird to me.
It is nice they fire a couple rounds, testing not just basic function, but also feeding. Many manufacturers clearly do not do any testing(chamberless cylinders and solid barrels are proof).
Still, I've let guns sit for quite sometime without cleaning and still been able to get it cleaned out with a few patches.

In some ways I think people get the idea a barrel has to swabbed to a point where its last swabbing patch has absolutely no trace of any residue what-so-ever to be considered acceptable.
In all the years I've swabbed barrel bores. Non of my long guns ever produced such a swabbed patch. One that was as white at the end of a cleaning as it was prior to its first plunge.
Maybe some of you Jr. gunsmiths here have seen that peculiar site. Hooray for you if you have. Like I've said. I never experienced such a patch.

So long as my home weaponry tags what there aimed at and don't get rusty inside or out from one year to the next in storage> Hell, I'm a happy camper :D

I'll typically go till a patch comes out just light gray, never cleaned till a patch came out completely white. :)

The brass Henry .357 I tried a couple years back put 3 holes under an inch at 100 yards out of the box.
I've NEVER cleaned a new Henry bore before shooting it.
Never saw a need.
Denis

I've NEVER cleaned a new Henry bore before shooting it.
Never saw a need.
I didn't used to and still don't always, but I do think it is a very good idea to clean a new weapon before firing it. Some say the rust inhibitors aren't lubricants and one range session could tear the gun up. I don't think that is a real issue.
After seeing a picture of a revolver with a solid barrel I do think a decent inspection is a good idea because they can obviously miss anything at that point(How'd that fired case end up in the box?). If I am going to field strip it, I might as well do a little cleaning.

To answer a previous question, the gun does not group at all, 35 yards. Not sure if it's the filthy barrell or my loads. I ordered some JB from Brownells and will try that route for now.

To answer a previous question, the gun does not group at all, 35 yards. Not sure if it's the filthy barrell or my loads. I ordered some JB from Brownells and will try that route for now.
It's definitely not "the filthy barrel" after all that cleaning.

If it won't group at 35 yds, send it back to the factory and tell them it won't shoot as it should

When I bought my Henry Evil Roy the included instructions said to run a swab down the barrel. I did it was a bit dirty but a couple of swabs cleaned it out and it shoots like a dream.

The load is 60 grains of IMR4895, 350 grain hard cast, CCI Large Rifle Primer. New Starline brass trimmed to spec and full length resize prior to loading. Loads chamber nice and easy ejection after shooting. Shooting the carbine short barrell. Loads maybe too hot, severe recoil, after 8 shots my shoulder was pretty much hamburger. Started to flinch at that point and quit shooting. Examining primers I did not see any signs of excessive pressure. One strange thing I should mention. I was shooting into a 15 miles per hour head wind. Right after each shot I could feel fine degree hitting my face. At first I thought it was unburned powder but did not see any unburned powder on my cleaning patches. Not sure what that was all about?

Back