Just bought 45-70 Henry from
Cabelas. Used half a bottle of Pro
Shot cleaner, practically wore out
A new copper brush and a good hour
Cleaning the barrell, and patches still
comming out dark black. Finally gave up
due to fatigue. Has anyone out there
experienced this.

That sucks and I don't know your answer but I would contact Henry. Maybe have the serials ready so they can tell you age and other things that might answer why you have a dirty barrel from the start.

Unless Henry admits to some sort of contamination it is up to you.

I would let time and chemistry work. Leave it wet with solvent, wipe and reapply every day or so.
I like Wipe Out Foam.

Are you sure its "new"?

The best stuff I've ever found for cleaning a bore is RB-17, but its tough to find today, if its even still made.

Either it's not actually new (in which case you'd likely see some form of wear elsewhere) or it's some combination of oil, grease, swarf, etc.

If you're not concerned about it being the former then I'd start cleaning the barrel by sending bullets downrange.

Henry test-fires their guns before shipping.
They don't clean the bore afterward.

Have you actually fired it yet?
Rather than sit there for an hour trying to get a clean patch, I would have (and I have, repeatedly) just gone out & shot a new Henry. :)

Go put a few rounds through it, zero it, learn it, clean it, and go from there.
Denis

Henry test-fires their guns before shipping.
They don't clean the bore afterward.
Is there a Henry/webcite/employee article confirmation you can point us to on that?
...patches still coming out dark black....
I experienced that same thing with Lyman BP rifles -- they were shipped w/ a black
barrel protector/preservative that was a BEAR to get fully cleaned out. (Never did,
actually, and so finally just said the heck w/ it and loaded it up)
Half-dozen patched balls later -- absolute mirror.

Bottom Line: Shoot it. Clean it. Then let us know the 'after-action'results

Thank you for all the replies I appreciate it. Yes the gun was new out of the box. According to the ammo inspection tag, the final inspection was done 2-26-16. I bought the gun last April. I contacted Anthony Imperative and he suggested I send the gun back to Henry and they would clean it. He did not say how they would clean it but I did appreciate the offer but probably won't send it back. I have already shot some hand loads thru it, shooting 350 grain hard cast but this did not seem to clean the barrell out. What do you think about using JB on it? Thanks for the responses.

Take cleaning gear to the range and clean while warm from being shot.
It isn't magic but it will clean more easily. You can get out the day's fouling and some of the factory muck with reasonable effort. Don't worry about the rest, some of it will come out the next time.

Because you asked :
New rifle. You were told to send it back. I see no reason why not to do it. That's the answer to your resolve.

Last edited:
Never saw the benefits of trying to get guns all that clean, unless it's going to be stored away for a long time.
They just get dirty again.
If it shoots and functions well, don't sweat it.

Mehavey,
I am pointing you to me.

This issue came up re a .22 Henry elsewhere & I know people at Henry, so I asked what their practice is.

Typically 5 rounds fired to test for function, possibly more if a glitch is encountered.
After which the gun's shipped.

It's pretty much a non-issue.

Splat,
You could us JB paste, if it continues to bother you.
How did it shoot?
Problem?
Denis

Time and chemistry being the magic you need. Endlessly running patches and brushes though a barrel will just make you tired. Stop up the muzzle and fill the bore with solvent(which one makes no difference) and leave it there for at least a few hours. Dispose of the dirty solvent at a hazardous material site and clean as per normal again.
"...shooting 350 grain hard cast..." Nor shooting anything else will ever clean anything.

They said they would clean it, get a Return Authorization and shipping label and let them take care of it. How difficult is that compared to your running around getting different cleaning compounds and spending your time doing their job?

Back