New gun owner needs advice

I didn't follow the fallout of the Chattanooga shootings, while the Navy didn't bring charges that doesn't mean that nothing happened. Here it is a over year later and the news has been extremely quiet since early August 2015.

Your memo on LEO carrying on installation is only relevant if the OP has been an MP with six years of cumulative experience (para 4) in the military. Since the OP is only 18 he wouldn't be able to posses a handgun to carry concealed or otherwise off duty on a Federal installation. That still doesn't change the fact that as a soldier living in the barracks, all privately owned weapons will be stored in the units arms room.

All I can say is military laws don't govern interstate highways, as long as the vehicles stays on those highways that intersect bases. However, pull off the interstate on an installation and get caught with an unregistered firearm and see what happens.

I am this > < close to buying a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Looks like an amazing and handy short range hunting gun.

I'd say save up for a few months... then buy the gun you really want. Better to wait and save up for this beautiful walnut/steel gun than to settle for something bland and plastic now.

[RE-JackStrawIII]

That was the firearm I have also been looking forward to purchasing with greedy eyes. The only problem I have with it would be magazine replacements should one malfunction/break. Replacements can be hard to find sometimes :(

And in regards to the military associated posts regarding my choice in enlistment occupation, I've already determined I wish to join as an MP. So I'd more than likely be allowed to have a POW on base or at least in my living quarters on base. Off base POW's do not need to be registered with the unit armorer as long as they remain off-base. Any weapon that comes on-base needs to be registered and only on some posts, checked out from the armorer. But this is primarily up to the post commander's position on it and their policy.

I have family that would hold onto the firearm for me until i am in a position to require and store it legally.

Now on a seperate note, could someone please explain the differences between .308 and 30-06? Also, why no love for the .303 brit?

Thanks all again,

-MM

.308 is a shorter cartridge than a .30-06. It generally fits in a smaller rifle (short action receivers) versus the longer .30-06 cartridge (which requires a long action receiver). They are close in power with modern loads although .30-06 takes the edge in power and may also generally be loaded with heavier weight bullets than .308.

.303 Brit is, in my opinion, more of a collector or sporter's cartridge. There are no modern production rifles made for the cartridge that I'm aware of and ammunition selection is somewhat limited. It's not something you'll be guaranteed to find as easily, gives you fewer choices, and generally has no benefits over .308 or .30-06. If your goal is to have commonly found ammunition, even 7.62X39 or 7.62X54 make more sense because at least a large number of people in America have those.

If the goal is common ammo availability for hunting and general use, .30-06 is versatile and widely available. If, as your name implies, it's for another purpose related to militia purposes, it's my opinion .308 is more likely to be found due to its proliferation in both bolt action rifles and semi auto "tactical" rifles. I don't know if that's as true in California as it is in the gun-loving south, though.

If mil-surp rifles are your thing, the Spanish produced two Mauser models (FR-7 and FR-8) chambered in 7.62X51mm NATO, but I am not sure if they play well with standard .308 ammunition and that would be an issue for hunting purposes.

I think you should get a .22 rifle to practice on. My CZ 452 has been one of the best investments in my shooting, but you can find a suitable .22 for much less. For your centerfire rifle, I don't see any reason you couldn't do what you're wanting with a Savage Axis, Remington 783/700, or Ruger American in .308/.30-06. 7.62X39 is a cool cartridge (I have a VZ 58 that shoots it and I've thought about doing a bolt action in the same caliber) but I don't really see its benefits as your primary and only bolt action centerfire long gun when .308 is an option.

Just my thoughts.

303 ammo can cost anywhere from $15-33 for 20. It's a roundnose heavy bullet and I believe designed for roundnose. I sold a #1 Mark 3 Enfield in December. Just didn't grow on me even though I have a 1899 Remington Lee in 30-40 Krag. It's a nearly identical round.

Price wise both of those are costly vs 30-06 and 308.

MilitaMatters said:
And in regards to the military associated posts regarding my choice in enlistment occupation, I've already determined I wish to join as an MP. So I'd more than likely be allowed to have a POW on base or at least in my living quarters on base.

It isn't rocket science, google and read Army Regulation (AR) 190-11. It clearly states that all POW will be stored in the arms room if the soldier lives in the barracks. There are no exceptions for MP's or any other MOS. Also you need SIX years of cumulative MP experience to carry off duty on an Army installation according to the memo that was linked, look at paragraph 4 item h if I remember correctly. So no as a single soldier on base you can't have a POW in your quarters.

I know you want to be an MP but don't be surprised if that MOS isn't offered. The Army has quotas for schools and if they don't need any more MP's they won't offer the job to you. Do you know how you placed on the ASVAB and were your scores high enough to qualify you for MP? You'll need an ST score of 95 or higher to qualify for MP.

ASVAB scores needed by MOS

It isn't rocket science, google and read Army Regulation (AR) 190-11. It clearly states that all POW will be stored in the arms room if the soldier lives in the barracks. There are no exceptions for MP's or any other MOS. Also you need SIX years of cumulative MP experience to carry off duty on an Army installation according to the memo that was linked, look at paragraph 4 item h if I remember correctly. So no as a single soldier on base you can't have a POW in your quarters.

Unless he joins the Air Force that is.

Old Bill Dibble said:
Unless he joins the Air Force that is.

Doesn't matter if he joins the Air Force as Security Police or not, he's still under the age of 21 and can't carry off duty on any Federal Installation. While it's true the Air Force has removed the cumulative experience, but it used to be 10 years before they could carry. However, as enlisted you must reach Skill level 5 which is considered journeyman. I'm guessing this will be a minimum of the rank of E5.

1.1.1.6. Meet all Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) requirements identified in DoDI 5525.15. Security Forces 3P031 must obtain a 5-skill level; 31P must obtain the rank of First Lieutenant; DAF Officers must have received qualification training.

Here is the standard for keeping personally owned weapons on Peterson AFB. I found this to be pretty much the standard Commander's Policy on other AF bases such as Tinker, Hill, Warren, etc.

Dormitory, Visiting Quarters, and TLF Residents: Residents are required to store their firearms in the 21st SFS Armory. Required documentation includes Air Force Form 1314 and DD Form 2760 available at the 21 SFS Armory or online, must be filled out and returned to the armory. Information required includes the firearm's make, model, serial number, caliber and gauge. Because these firearms must be stored in the 21st SFS Armory, additional paperwork is required in order to document the firearm's condition. Privately owned firearms are prohibited from the dormitories, TLF, and VQ at all times, regardless of whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded.

Transport: When entering the installation, personnel must notify the entry controller when they are in possession of a privately owned firearm or ammunition. Transporting privately owned firearms and ammunition on the installation is prohibited, except to and from authorized storage or shooting areas. Firearms and ammunition may only be transported directly to the 21st SFS Armory, or their owner's residence in base housing. As a reminder, no firearms or ammunition may be present in any temporary living quarter or dormitory.

Then there is the fact that the OP listed MP and Cav Scout as the two military occupations he's most interested in. Cav Scout is distinctly an Army profession. However, MP can also mean Marine Corps. My bet is that the OP is talking to an Army recruiter.

Last edited:
Back