New Deer Rifle Caliber

Olympus, glad you found a new rifle/cartridge. But, you should really start shooting your .257 Roberts. Your searching probably would have ended there. You did get a new rifle to tinker with tho. Have fun. But, shoot that .257.

Cheap, marketing had less to do with it than putting a twist that would not stabilize 100 gr bullets in their barrels .....
In not going into a lengthy explanation at the time I meant that the original round that became the 6MM Remington, the 244 Remington, was marketed as a varmint cartridge with no intention of it being a deer, or multi purpose cartridge. By the time the mistake was realized, and corrected with the 6MM Remington the Winchester round already dominated the .243 caliber market. Remington almost included the magnum moniker on the new round calling it the 6MM Remington Magnum. I wonder if not doing so was also mistake. Differentiating the Remington as a more powerful round. Which it is.
My own, built on a K98 Mauser action with a heavy varmint weight barrel and an in between twist of 1 in 10 is a tack driver with pills from 75 to 105 gr.

Olympus, glad you found a new rifle/cartridge. But, you should really start shooting your .257 Roberts. Your searching probably would have ended there. You did get a new rifle to tinker with tho. Have fun. But, shoot that .257.

Thanks. I think I will this year.

FWIW, own and shoot almost all of the cartridges suggested. Don't hunt, just shoot paper at range I'm a member two or three days a weeks with mostly other retired gents. One of my favorites is the 6.5x55, followed closely by the 250 Savage and 257 Roberts. Problem with the 250S and the 257R is availability of factory ammo and sometimes finding the reloading brass for them is a problem too. Own a couple of 6.5CMs too and the 7mm-08, they're worthy of consideration.

Am aware of a fair number of our range members that prefer using the 7mm-08 for deer hunting. Had a laugh one day at one of our board of directors checking the zero on his 7mm-08 rifle shortly before deer season. I comment to him about the 7mm-08 being a good cartridge for deer and etc. His reply was to comment, yea it took me about 5 years of using and getting beat by the recoil of a 300 win mag., to realize a 7mm-o8 killed a deer quite well.

300 magnum for deer. That's always funny. I suppose that The 300 using a partition will probably pop right through most of the deer I see around here,doing about the same amount of damage as the 7-08.

Brother in law bought a 7 Remington magnum for deer, and he wanted I just for one field. His stand was at one end, and it went out to about 400. He needed to shoot anywhere from point blank to quarter mile. The rest of the time he carried a 30-30.

Brother in law bought a 7 Remington magnum for deer, and he wanted I just for one field. His stand was at one end, and it went out to about 400. He needed to shoot anywhere from point blank to quarter mile.

He could do the same thing with about 10% less powder (and no stupid belt on the cases) with a .270 or .280 .........

Nope, it's what he wanted. He didn't want a .270 caliber or a .30 caliber, and the .280 is a dead number. At the time there were no other 7 mm cartridges that he could buy over the counter any day of the week anywhere in America.

That's pretty simple, isn't it?

Here are some photos before I get the scope mounted
49a0e09d54c2b012d257bf1baaec1a16.jpg
00ae3144bdb7bd6e829def47bbb5ccd6.jpg
eff257f824448131548282062cb053fa.jpg

Good looking rifle. I got to play around with one at Cabela's. It's amazing how light and handy it is. Really falls into your arms. hard to convey without holding one.

Olympus,

Glad you found the CZ you were looking for.

When I read your original post, I was kinda worried. The 120gr. bullets for the 7mm are varmint bullets.

As for the 257 Roberts. You really need to shoot it more. I buy 7x57 Mauser brass and neck it down. Much cheaper and more readily available than finding 257 Roberts brass.
Using Hodgdon Hybrid 100V I'm shooting 100gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3127fps, and 115gr. Berger Hunting VLD to 2984fps. This using the non SAAMI +P pressures. (58,000 PSI).

120 grain 7mm bullets are NOT Varmint bullets. At least all of them aren't.

I wouldn't say the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter, and the 120 grain Barnes TTSX are Varmint bullets. In fact the 120 Nosler has a thicker jacket than the 140 Nosler and the 140 Nosler isn't considered a varmint bullet. Making a blanket statement like that is just plain wrong.

They also make a 120 grain Core-Lokt and a 120 grain Federal Fusion...neither of which are Varmint bullets.

I just built a pistol upper in 300 AAC, now i can change from 223 to 300 AAC. The 300AAC is a decent deer cartridge if you stay within 150 yards.

oop, I stand corrected, Carjunkie...

I forgot about the 120gr. Ballistic Tip. Probably because I don't shoot them. The 120gr. bullets I have are the Hornady HP varmint.

Thanks..

That CZ is a beautiful rifle. Maybe when we get this country pointed in the right direction we will get back to building rifles like that for the working man.

That CZ is a beautiful rifle. Maybe when we get this country pointed in the right direction we will get back to building rifles like that for the working man.

I agree, but I think the working man's rifle has become something like the Ruger American. Inexpensive, accurate, and cheap to manufacture.

This week I will purchase a Mossberg Patriot in 308 for my son-in-law. It's a gift for his graduation from Med School. He has been wanting a bigger caliber to compliment the 243 he has.

My point here is.....I am super impressed with the Patriot as an affordable gun that is shooting very well in most hands.

Since you have a 243, and you don't want a 308.....and the 270 was more recoil than you wanted, consider a 7mm-08 Patriot in wood stock. It's under $400 and it is such a nice looking gun.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...oducts_id/97048/Mossberg+PATRIOT+22+7MM08+WAL

Or....if you want something really cool.... Research the Howa 1500 Mini Action in a 6.5 Grendel. Very low recoil and the balistics are pretty darn impressive....a real deer killer out to 400 yards. I own the gun in the 7.62x39 and absolutely love it. Harvested a nice deer this year with a 265 yd shot.

Last edited:
Back