New Deer Rifle Caliber

I have one of the early remington model 7s with a walnut stock, factory open sights and an 18.5" barrel. A very lightweight rifle with Leupold 2X7 on it. I have let a young girl (16) use this rifle on two youth hunts at school and she has killed 4 deer with 4 shots. I loaded 120gr bullets down to a start velocity of 2600fps. It doesn't have anymore recoil than a 243.

I have killed most of my deer with a custom Mauser 98 built by my grandfather. Most of the time I was using hornady 154gr spitzer bullets.

I not too long ago picked up a remington mountain rifle in 7x57. Without a scope it weighs only 6.25 pounds. Not much heavier than the model 7. I haven't hunted with it yet. I may never hunt with it. I think my hunting days are about over. But what a nice rifle it is.

Looks like I'm going to be selling a pistol I've had for a while and never shoot, so I'll have some extra money that I can put toward another rifle too. I've found that I can buy a Howa barreled action only in 6.5 Creedmoor that comes with a 20" sporter barrel for $350. I can slap a Boyd's stock on it and be in for about $500 total. I might give that route a try and keep checking GunBroker for another rifle in a more unique caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're doing that I'd say buy a bare Rem 700 action from pacific tool and gage and then buy a Bartlein or rock creek or benchmark or (insert brand of choice here) barrel and a Timney Calvin Elite trigger and stock of your choice. Then all you need is bottom metal, mags, scope, rings, and a base and you're set. Oh yeah, almost forgot, you also need the smith fees to spin the barrel for you and fit to action, need a recoil lug too, then cerakote...this is how I got my custom rifle haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been looking hard at getting a rifle in 6.5 CM for a while now .. 270 Win & 30-30's have been my go to cartriges for a long time .. The 270 Winchester is hard to beat .. 130gr spritzers for long range.. and 150gr RN for Black Bears & hawgs ... No fancy bullets needed ... Federal blue box always performs perfect !

But the 6.5 Creedmoor seems like solid performer .. 260 Win performance ..less recoil and Hornady is producing both target and hunting fodder .,,,

Consider the 260 Rem. It's a great round.

You can make your own brass out of (cheap and abundant) 308 brass and load it up with any of the great 6.5 bullets out there. It's a winner, as long as you can find a gun you like that's chambered in it. Not sure what kind of guns you're into and there aren't tons of choices in 260. But there are some good ones out there.

Or you could go with 6.5x55 in a CZ rifle. That's a killer combo too.

deer don't take much. Anything from a 223 (with heavy bullets) on up. Just depends on how much meat you want or want ruined.

Some have mentioned the 6.5 CM (an excellent choice). Last fall was the first time. I really like the 6.5 CM but don't do like I did. I wanted a long range round so I went the 143 Hornady route. Accurate but at 356 yards it leaves an exit round you can drive a truck through. Good for elk but I'd go lighter bullets.

I tried them all, and they all work. But I've found the 243 or 257 Rbts with 100 gr. bullets are the best conpromise between long range and bullet performance without tearing up meat. Plus light recoil in light rifles.

What about a 6.5x47 Lapua?

Light recoiling, great barrel and brass life, short even by short action standards, can reach similar velocities to the 6.5 creedmore, and .260 if pushed to it.

Designed to be as inherently accurate inside 300 meters as Lapua could design, and from the targets I've seen, in a well made rifle it doesn't disappoint.

Plenty of energy to kill deer and hogs at father ranges than 150 yards, still moving supersonic at 1000 if you ever want to try to lob them out that far, it'll do that too.

What about a 6.5x47 Lapua?

After you special order the barrel, pay to get it put on and headspaced .... and the dies, and the brass (or make it) ..... what does it do that more common rounds (even the Creedmore has brass on the shelf at my local big box store) ...... after all that extra expense and bother, what does it do that more common competitors do not? The answer is : Bupkus......

^satisfies the want for something uncommon. Could load the longest 6.5mm bullets you could find and they'd still feed from the magazine where this might not be the case for the 6.5 creedmore or .260 in a short action.

But now that Lapua is making large rifle primer 6.5 creedmore brass, it's less novel. But everyone and their mother is getting a creedmore, I wouldn't call it unique or uncommon, so I kind of figured all those things would be necessary in anything that was.

If you are going that far to be different, get a custom reamer dies and name your wildcat after yourself ..... or your cat ...... that'd be different.....

I can't imagine anything that defines classic medium bore medium velocity medium game medium range short action rounds better than .250 savage. Back when Remington used to sell their annual classic edition, the .250 was number four, in 1984. It is still available in component brass or loaded ammo

With a maximum of 150 yards, what about a .44 Magnum? I picked up a Ruger 44 Carbine (tube magazine), and it is a very nice rifle.

I got a Carcano in 6.5mm Japanese (Type I), which got me interested in the round. It was shortened, so figured that the rifle would be a nice beginner rifle, or something light for my girlfriend. For $149, it was hard to pass it up. Problem was that it also got me into Carcanos... which resulted in an Oswald replica rifle (in 6.5mm Carcano).

The Carcano calibers, 6.5mm and 7.35mm, are similar to the Arisaka calibers... if you want something different. Just the 6.5mm is more common than 7.35mm, being it was brought back when Italy couldn't transition to 7.35mm in World War II.

Well, you do have a 243, but.......
6MM Remington. Be it not for Remington's mistaken marketing, the round that would have made the 243 Winchester obscure!

Well I found a deal on the CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39. It has been on my want list for a long time now, so I let the money burn a hole in my pocket for too long. I also ordered a little Sightron SI Hunter scope for it, so it should make a handy little woods deer hunting rifle. I think I will also get some reloading components to reload my 257 Roberts. I'm thinking that rifle should be big enough for any kind of hunting I'm likely to be doing for the next several years.

Cheap, marketing had less to do with it than putting a twist that would not stabilize 100 gr bullets in their barrels ..... that and parent cases for the .243WIN were as common as military surplus anything, and the parent case for the 6MM was a Eurometric special order thing..

Back