New Contender barrel

What load do you shoot in your 45-70,
I haven't worked up any handloads yet, but have been shooting Hornady 325gr. FTX Leverevolution factory rounds. When I first got it I had some 300gr. JHP "1886 safe" loads, but after shooting them all, I have been told they are too hot for the Contender.
Can't say I noticed much difference in recoil between the two.
I've since gotten a Lyman 335gr. mold, and will work up some cast bullet loads for most of the Contender's uses.

I would think those Hornady's are pretty stout! The 405's are not so bad, I think Speer sells a 405sp for duplicating the low speed factory load.

Hornady says the Leverevolution 45-70 is "Trapdoor" pressure, so it's should be OK for the Contender.
I probably won't buy any more at two plus bucks per boom just to blow big holes in things though. That's what I got the mold to pour my own cast bullets for.:D

Last edited:
http://www.pennbullets.com/44/44-caliber.html
I have been testing these in a Ruger 77/44 rifle and in several single action. The thunder head is one of the most accurate bullets I have ever put through the 77.
Its good hard lead and under 1300 you don’t need a gas check. I have had them a faster due to the rifle barrel but since I don’t have a crono that is only a guess.
His 320 will drop deer like a mortar.

Back