New Contender barrel

There was a special grease to protect the threads, but it's been so long I can't recall the name.

The grease is just there to keep the choke from seizing in the barrel

It's not going to protect the threads from damage if rounds are fired with the choke removed

When I bought my G2 Stainless it had a Super 14 35 Remington, and a 14" 22 LR Match barrel. Since, I have added a 14" 223, and a 10" 45-70.
I have bids in now for two of my most wanted barrels. Both 14", one in 22 Hornet, the other, 7-30 Waters.
They are habit forming! :D

yes... very addicting... I have 29 barrels, several are custom "one offs" & 4 actions...

sadly... I've been thinking about adding a Encore... slowly sliding down that slope...

I think I may be done, 3 complete guns, 44Mag, 357Max and a very pretty old 25-35. I would consider maybe a 375Win, or a 32-20, we'll have to see. A 22 Hornet would be a lot of fun though.

I've always wanted a Encore. My grandfather has a Contender that I've shot a bunch and really like the concept. Does anyone know if you can even get a .44mag 16"-18" rifle barrel nowadays? With irons?

7-30 Waters is a great cartridge in the Contender... you can shoot factory ammo, or handload with pointed bullets & faster powder... ( I actually used mine last time I went P-dogging ( many years ago ) & was able to get hits out over 400 yards out of my 14" barrel, & a good rest...

... & I'd have to have a Hornet barrel also... but between the 2 I'd probably buy the 7-30 1st ;)

as far as any caliber... I guess I'd add within reason... obviously some of those should only be available in the Encore, because of pressures... I have always wanted one in the old 50-70 Government cartridge, as I have an old Martini in 50-70... I've never found someone that would make me one... there just might not be enough room ???

years ago a friend of mine had a 50-70 barrel for a contender. I don't know who made it and I wouldn't load it any hotter than factory spec. one thing for sure is that after you put a 50 caliber hole in a contender barrel there sure isn't much left. I think that if you pulled a tight cleaning patch through it you would probably feel it pulling through

I don't load hot in my Martini, with the 50-70... so I was hoping I could use the same load in both...

would like to find out who made it...

Last edited:
back in those days I don't think that TC had their custom shop yet. I wonder if it was Bulberry or Ingram? those names might not be spelled right but this was back in the early 1980's. there were several custom barrel makers of TC's back then.

I've looked at several of the current custom manufacturers... to no avail...

not sure if I've heard of Ingram barrels before...

off to the www I go... thanks

Looking like SSK is still my best option, most they make currently are for the 50-70 case with a 750 grain 50 Browning bullet, with I assume a fast twist rate... I may have to contact them & see if I can get a traditional 50-70 chamber, with a slower rate, so I can use my cast bullets effectively???

got this reply from SSK, when I e-mailed them this morning...

We chamber over 200 calibers in Contenders—including 50-70. This is an iron sight only barrel. Have blue barrels—can cut to and length desired. Barrel only $500. , sights?? depending what you want. Muzzle brake—$i75 about 6-8 weeks delivery. JD

Last edited:
... & I'd have to have a Hornet barrel also... but between the 2 I'd probably buy the 7-30 1st
Yeah, I still have time to up my bid on the Hornet barrel. But with the Charter Arms Bulldog I ordered, and paid for yesterday, the 7-30 barrel on the way, plus three Trout tournaments on Taneycomo, and a trip to Florida coming up in the next month and a half I was kinda glad I got outbid.:eek:

I think that SSK does pretty good work but for $500 for the barrel and another $175 for a muzzle brake that is a lot of money for just a TC barrel. for the loads that I shot I don't think you need a muzzle brake for the 50-70. it wasn't nearly as bad as a 44 mag in a TC contender

ya... I don't think I'd put a muzzle break on it... can't be worse than my 375 Winchester barrel...

sights might be an interesting thing... I'm guessing the barrel is quite thin, so no dovetails, & even screw holes would have to be quite shallow... may have to build up an area to have enough thickness to drill & tap...

hmmm... wondering if I couldn't work with either or both, my fabricator buddy, or my retired machinist buddy to come up with some sort of scope mount... perhaps scout scope style, where I could use a wrap around mount ???

MY 35 Remington Mag-Na-Ported Super 14 barrel definitely let's me know it's there. My SSK 10" ported 45-70 really let's me know it's there.
You learn real quick to be certain how you are holding it when you let fly.:D

What load do you shoot in your 45-70, I've shot the old 405SP and the factory 300grHP. There was a very big difference between those 2!

if I remember right a super 14 barrel was about .812 dia. and you put a half inch hole through it that leaves a wall thickness of about .156 which ain't very much. the 50-70 I shot had iron sights but I sure don't remember how they were mounted. I would think they would have to be silver soldered on

Back