New Colt Revolvers!!!!!!

Why are they selling the same old side plate revolvers?
I would think that they would want to upgrade and modernize their revolvers to join the 21st century. Those side plate revolvers date back to the early 1900s.

Colt intends to impress...keep looking, and stay tuned. It's going to be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had sent an email out to my guy at the LGS, a couple of weeks back, inquiring on his ability to order the new Cobra... i'm guessing by his lack of response, together with DPris' indication that 2017 production is spoken for, means i won't be fondling one anytime soon... bummer.

i'll just have to keep my eyes peeled in case there's one that finds it's way onto a shelf somewhere and hasn't found a home... there oughta be LOADS of them out there... cuz' as we all know, revolvers are SO last century... nobody wants them anymore :rolleyes:

Just went to Davidson's Gallery of Guns:

They're allocated.

Don't know how truly truly true but I've been told by a couple dealers/LGS owners that the Colt MSRP is NOT far off from what they have to sell Colts.
Not much wiggle room as that given by Ruger and Smith & Wesson.

Fiber optic front sight, rubber grips, fixed rear sight, and a trigger guard that looks like they dropped it on the factory floor, a DA pull that stacks if history is any indicator, and all for half again what the leading competitor charges...Need I mention that at 25 oz. empty, it's no pocket gun. What's not to like? Rod

Last edited:
Fiber optic front sight, rubber grips, fixed rear sight, and a trigger guard that looks like they dropped it on the factory floor, a DA pull that stacks if history is any indicator, and all for half again what the leading competitor charges...Need I mention that at 25 oz. empty, it's no pocket gun. What's not to like? Rod

Rod,
On another forum Bret from the Colt Custom Shop made a few comments regarding this new gun. Among them, there will be other sight options for those who desire them and there will be no stacking in the triggers of this gun due to the redesigned inner works. People who have handled and shot it report an excellent trigger with no stacking, and currently produced wood grips from Colt will fit this gun for those who don't like the rubber grips. And I have read that the redesigned trigger guard profile is designed to accommodate people who have large hands or wear gloves. And finally, the 25 oz. empty weight falls right between the S&W 36 and the S&W Model 10 snub. My 1975 steel-framed Detective Special weighs in at 27 oz. fully loaded.

Good points Tex & glad you like it...but it's not for me...grips, sights, trigger & price, it's a Smith wannabe...case ya forgot what real shootin' irons look like, here's a pic of a pair of mine. (Whoops, dam, forgot to hide those rubber grips!) LOL, Rod

"Oh Ye of little faith"

Over on the Coltfourm one of the members has said "The Old Farts Club" doesn't like anything new that comes out. I'm a member of that club but I'm willing to take a serious look at this gun when I can lay my hands on one, then make a decision on it. If I don't like it, I still have my '75 D.S. and my S&W snubs that I have always preferred. By the way, nice looking S&W's. What's that little hole over the cylinder release on the bottom gun?? :D:D:D
HTML:

Last edited:
it's a Smith wannabe...
If the trigger is better than the one in the j-frames, no. Also, people with just a bit of statistical knowledge who understand the low likelihood of a one shot stop realize that "that all important sixth shot" provides much more than a twenty percent improvement.

I would like to see any statistical evidence of "the one shot stop" and how often the bad guy leaves the home before a shot is fired. The stuff I read tells me that more often than not the perp leaves when confronted.Yes there are lots of stories about the three thugs breaking in and multiple shots are fired or exchanged but it is much more common for the home owner to be left with all his firepower unused.
Most of the time there is no need to shoot at all. Does this mean that I want a gun with less ammo? NO, but I am not wearing a five shot snub nose around my home either.

Man o man, there is so much carping going on about Colt's new Cobra that one would think that we were on Cannery Row.

Don't like the new gun? Then don't buy one.

If the trigger is better than the one in the j-frames, no. Also, people with just a bit of statistical knowledge who understand the low likelihood of a one shot stop realize that "that all important sixth shot" provides much more than a twenty percent improvement.
I think the J-frame's trigger is pretty bad. I have three but only carry my Model 38 Bodyguard because it has such a small grip and I can easily conceal it in a pocket. When I carry using a belt holster, it's my Colt Agent, a first cousin to the old-style Cobra.

I don't remember how many samples of the new Cobra Colt had on display at the SHOT Show. Suffice it to say, "a lot." And I dry fired most of them. I concede that I'm not basically a "revolver guy," but I do own a Colt Detective Special, an Armscor M200 and an M206, and a couple of Tauri. So I'm not a complete stranger to revolver triggers. My estimation is that the new Cobra trigger has essentially zero stacking, and the DA pull is both smooth and comparatively light for a DA revolver. What was more impressive to me was that, for however many I tried, they all felt the same. Which tells me that quality control is probably fairly decent.

Standing around the booth waiting to talk to the Colt people I know, I overheard a lot of favorable comments on the trigger, and NO unfavorable comments.

They still need to make a revolver that has a vented barrel, stainless steel, and .357 magnum. I wonder what that is? Hmmm.....

Back