New Colt Revolvers!!!!!!

I don't think these will sell well.

Besides not having a bobbed hammer, the only reason to carry an all steel gun is to take the bite out of .357 Magnum.

.38 spl is just fine, but I'd rather carry a gun with half the weight if that's my only option.

Super Sneaky Steve said:
Besides not having a bobbed hammer, the only reason to carry an all steel gun is to take the bite out of .357 Magnum.

Yeah, but it also takes all the pain and suffering out of shooting .38spl. I have a 2" S&W 64, and it is astonishingly easy to shoot (recoil-wise) compared to my S&W 642.

I'm not sure I have a driving need for this Cobra, but if I saw one, I might well be interested if it was going for under $600 street, if for no other reason than to be along with the renaissance of Colt's DA game. I wouldn't plan to carry it, but it could happen.

The gun intrigues me. I am interested in seeing one in the steel.

Yeah, but it also takes all the pain and suffering out of shooting .38spl. I have a 2" S&W 64, and it is astonishingly easy to shoot (recoil-wise) compared to my S&W 642.
Pain and suffering are not the only issues, although repetitive trauma can lead to permanent nerve, tendon, ad joint damage. The other issue is rapidity of controlled shooting.

Personally, I see no reason to use .357 magnum ammunition for self defense.

Bobbed hammer? That's an easy fix. I had it done to a Ruger SP 101

.357 Magnum defenders make sense with a 4" or longer bbl.

For a snub? Forget about it. Too much recoil, blast n' flash. Loud. Stupid. A good .38 +P will do the job IF you can do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve
Quote:

As I see it, the only reason to have any handgun made out of a light-weight alloy is for ease of carry, especially while being carried concealed. Reason enough for me to accept a little "pain and suffering" (though I'm not especially sensitive to recoil, even +P .38 Special ammunition gets a little tiresome after a box full has been fired through a Smith J-frame Airweight).

dgludwig said:
As I see it, the only reason to have any handgun made out of a light-weight alloy is for ease of carry, especially while being carried concealed.

Depends on mode of carry. Pocket, yeah. That weight may matter a lot. Belt, not so much. It's always a personal choice for the user. I can understand those who want it as light as possible. I can also understand those who appreciate a little more weight so it's more comfortable to practice.

I have a Colt DiamondBack and a S&W K-22 Masterpiece and the Colt has a much, much better trigger than the S&W does. I asked around at the LGS's today and as of yet, nobody has seen one of the new Cobras. The guy behind the counter said that they ordered some, but have no idea on a delivery time, and that whatever they do get in is already spoken for. Local collectors I'm pretty sure.

I'm not especially sensitive to recoil, even +P .38 Special ammunition gets a little tiresome after a box full has been fired through a Smith J-frame Airweight

YMMV. I can't go past 15 standard pressure loads in my Airweight before it gets too painful to continue on. I made up some mouse-phart loads with Trail Boss for practice.

Does anyone know when the new Colt Cobra's will begin shipping? haven't seen many comments or updates since the initial flurry....

just curious...

I want one. I would probably pay double the price of a J-frame to get one. If its more than that I just don't think I could justify the price though.

Whenever we do finally see new Colt Cobras, we'll have to fight "The Kuhlekterz" to get the first couple batches. Those guns are destined for a life of being safe queens.

Whenever we do finally see new Colt Cobras, we'll have to fight "The Kuhlekterz" to get the first couple batches. Those guns are destined for a life of being safe queens.
Unless a Colt Cobra is the gun of some TV hero down the road, I don't see them having significant collector's value until well into the second half of the century. Even if they aren't on the market for long. NIB Colt A-A 2000s aren't going for any significant money.

If Colt stops building them, they WILL become collector's items. I also checked the spec sheet on the new Cobra. It weighs 25 oz. unloaded, or quite a bit more than a J-frame. I think I'll stick with S&W. I'm also betting that the price paid for the Cobras initially, will be over the MSRP or $700+.

So I was able to attend SHOT show today and handle the new Colt Cobra. Very impressed. Trigger was about 8 pounds and pure silk. Single action was perfect. Like a performance center revolver. No creep or anything. Finish is very nice and I love the size of the trigger guard and the sights.
Downside is they only had one on display, which tells me they are likely still a ways a way from full production. I hope the models coming off the line have as nice of a trigger.
Here's a pic

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 81
Back