New Colt Revolvers!!!!!!

Jackmoser65 said:
How many Colt revolvers have YOU owned? Since you're one of the most vocal critics in this discussion, perhaps it's because you've been burned by a bad Colt? Or are you just repeating interweb nonsense?

I've had Colt's that lacked in every way imaginable. I've had 1911's that didn't work without gunsmith tuning, Pythons that needed too much maintenance and single actions that were gritty on the inside and poorly polished on the outside. Those days are long gone. The current crop of 1911's, SAA's and New Frontiers are among the best to ever bear the Colt name. The past is irrelevant to all but interweb critics who seek to find fault so they can sound like experts but fall short on real experience. What matters is that right now, Colt builds a very good handgun and I expect this to be no different. From $1500 1911's to $5000 factory engraved SAA's, I buy all my guns to use.
I've never owned a Colt and don't plan on ever owning one made in the last 70 years. The only Colt's that interest me are the Police Positive in .32 S&W Long and the New Service in .45 Colt, which haven't been in production since before my parents were born.

By the way, the way you talk up the new Colt's makes me think you work for them.

Love Colts.
Have some over 100 years old, some made during world wars, some made this century, and they've all been great so no reason to think the new revolver won't be a good gun, too.

Love that Pony

When I finally decided to get an AR, the Pony had to be on it.
I have yet to fire the darn thing I bought it while I still could. Our WA state AG is working on a ban.

If I choose not to keep it I think the Pony will help out a little at resale time. I really like my 03 in .32 ACP. Traded in to it from an old Police positive special that would not hit a barn door, from inside the barn. It's getting hard for my 60 YO eyes to pick up the sights on the 03, but when I can it's quite accurate.

One can see the bones of the 1911 in the 03.

By the way, the way you talk up the new Colt's makes me think you work for them.
Unlike yourself, I don't feel the need to either deride or defend a brand based only on blind loyalty or uninformed opinion. You must have missed the part where I said I've had several bad Colts. You know, from the days that they turned out a few turds? :rolleyes:

Some of us know from experience. Others think they know because they googled it. :cool:

The new Colt will have removable and replaceable front sight, and some older D frame wood grips will fit this model as well.

You made the right choice. The Pony sees all, and would be displeased with you if you chose another brand.
They Pony must be completely irate, then, about me assembling an AR from the cheapest parts I could find, including a [gasp] polymer lower receiver; chopping, hacking, and modifying as desired; using it for two years; and then making a 40% profit.

That poor Pony.
So over-hyped that it can't see past its own arrogance.

Every person in my family, except for myself, has owned at least one, but generally two to five Colts.
Where are they now?
Other than the SP1, they all got dumped for better designs and better reliability. :rolleyes:

If Colt is going to succeed in the current market, they're going to have to compromise on quality, and fit and finish; and trade heavily upon their legacy (the "quality" and desirability legacy -- not the mile-long list of bankruptcies, reorganizations, and stupid decisions ;)).

Truth Teller, from now on just live up to your name. Any discussion of Colts just post "Don't like 'em."
Well Pig, tell me, why SHOULD I like them?

Because... Colt?

Honestly, you tell me something it does better than a Smith or a Ruger LCR other than having an extra round and a Pony on the side and I may change my mind.

Honestly, you tell me something it does better than a Smith or a Ruger LCR other than having an extra round and a Pony on the side and I may change my mind.
You apparently do not fully appreciate the advantage of that sixth round.

In a real defensive action that does result in shooting, a five round capacity significantly limits the chance of success for the defender; six is a lot better, and seven is better still.

I have settled on eight, and frankly, I would prefer more.

The best application for a five shot defensive revolver is for backup, or as one of a pair.

Quote:
Some of us know from experience. Others think they know because they googled it.

so very true!!

As of right now, none of us know anything about the new Colt from experience, only what we have Googled or seen in pictures.

One thing I do know from experience is, that the fanboys will love it, even if it turns out to be a remarked Taurus. The haters will hate it even if it is indeed hand wrought from rare unobtainium from Mt Olympus. The rest of us will have a personnel opinion that is derived from neither of the above, and that is all it will be....our opinion.

OldMarksman said:
You apparently do not fully appreciate the advantage of that sixth round.

In a real defensive action that does result in shooting, a five round capacity significantly limits the chance of success for the defender; six is a lot better, and seven is better still.

I have settled on eight, and frankly, I would prefer more.

The best application for a five shot defensive revolver is for backup, or as one of a pair.
Hey, if it's all about that extra round, Armscor/Rock Island .38 is a 6 shooter. Costs about $250 after shipping and FFL transfer.

Looks beautiful, may buy one, may not, but the best thing about this is that Ruger and Smith & Wesson will cut their revolver prices to keep Colt out of their domain. Remington brought a small .380 to market and Ruger lowered their LCP price to below $200 because they can and still be profitable. Should be some good deals soon.

I've never owned a Colt and don't plan on ever owning one made in the last 70 years.
LOL. That's because they cost more than $200.
Bashing a gun you have never seen and is not even on the market yet... yeah.... Truthteller my a@@.

Jim

Truth Tellers- First of all please don't call me pig. My member name is SaxonPig, not pig. Calling me pig is insulting and I know you don't intend to offend a fellow forum member intentionally.

You seem a little touchy bout this. I am not trying to start anything. You don't like Colts or anything else that's fine. You have every right to your opinion and your preferences. I just don't see any need to jump in with negative comments when we already know how you feel.

Have a blessed New Years.

It'll be a plus in the revolver world.

A six-shot D frame sized gun is virtually ideal in handling and in concealed carry.

Handling a J-frame and a D-frame sized revolver are two different worlds and while I'm very much a Smith man, I've always liked the mid sized Colts.

Colt seems to be wisely jumping into the end of the revolver pool which Kimber hoped to capture but heck, where are the Kimbers.

I'd love to see the lock work diagrams and I'm eager for test reports.

As stated, the Smith J frames do nothing for me although I do have a Model 36. When it comes to Rugers, I love the GP 100 but to me the 5-shot SP 101 has always been clunky, heavy and with way too difficult a DA trigger (might as well just use and carry a K-frame Smith).

Truth be told if Colt came out with a Python just like the ones produced in the 1960s and put a magical $500 price on it, complaints would arise that its timing was somewhat sensitive and not suitable to rough DA usage like a Smith 586.

My thoughts are Smith and Ruger have been making DA revolvers that way for decades now where Colt hasn't. Smith and Ruger employees know how to build them where the Colt employees don't, so there's an experience gap and a learning curve that Colt's going to have to go through.

Whilst a lot of what Truthteller has said rings true I will point out that Kimber also has had no revolver building experience (not even historically speaking) yet they seem to have turned out a decent product if initial reports are anything to go by.

So it is always possible that these will be nice pieces and worthy of the admiration of old.

Hey, if it's all about that extra round, Armscor/Rock Island .38 is a 6 shooter. Costs about $250 after shipping and FFL transfer.
I have played with one in a store. It didn't impress me.

I carried a model 642 for a while and relegated it to a back-up role. I did not like the trigger pull. Tendonitis and arthritis conspire annoy me.

The new Colt, or the Kimber, would also serve for backup--both to mitigate the risk of a malfunction and to give me a left-hand pocket gun to carry while driving.

Which one? That would come down to grip, trigger pull, and dollars and cents. Haven't handled either one of them.

Back