New Colt Revolvers!!!!!!

I suspect the new Colt is pretty much a slightly changed transfer bar safety-ignition "SF" frame like the SF-VI, DS-II, and Magnum Carry.
In those models the old Colt "Vee" spring was used, but it only powered the hammer, not the the trigger too.
Those models had the lightest DA trigger of just about any SA revolver ever made.

What this does is give Colt something to sell to people who don't want a small auto to carry, and don't fool yourself..... A LOT of people are quietly carrying CCW revolvers these days in preference to autos.
As for "why Colt"...how many small frame, stainless, 6 shot revolvers are available today?
Colt always captured a lot of buyers with that 6th shot to everyone elses 5 shots.

It's not a Magnum.
How many people really shoot Magnums from a small revolver? Most people, especially people who aren't that much into guns shoot .38 or .38+P ammo even in the Magnum revolvers.
If there's a market, it can probably be made in .357 just like the Magnum Carry was.

Another thing to consider: This opens up potential new markets with 3 and 4 inch versions, hammerless versions, and a frame that can be used for other things.
How about a new "Diamondback II" with adjustable sights, or a few .22LR models?

This looks like a revolver Colt is very smartly going to market to the CCW carrier, especially the fast-growing women's market.

The one positive thing I forget to mention that I like about this revolver and Colt's decision is to make it a .38 Special, not .357 Magnum. We saw Glock do the same thing with the .380 G42, before they came out with the G43 even though everyone wanted the 43.

Starting small and working your way up is the way to go. Had Colt decided to skip the .38 and make a .357, that would have increased the price by $200 and the gun's would have a faster time til wear and tear set in.

Not a good business practice and personally, I don't see .357 Mag out of a snub barrel as a huge improvement over .38+P unless you like using the fireball as a sort of short range flamethrower.

Looks like the front sight has a thing on the front. Reminds me of Ruger's front sight removal plunger. I wonder if this new Colt's will be able to swap the sights? And have a change of grips?

If so, I might buy one. But not with that ugly sight or those horrid grips. There better me some measure of customizationabilitation with this new Cobra.

Thanks a lot Denis!;)
If I had only known then what I know now!

Here you went and got me all excited about this new pistol so I went and got two of these new Colts in post 16 and
now as I read it, just 31 posts later, I find out from all the folks in the know that I've bought two pieces of crap
from the absolute worst gun company in the world
with actions falling apart after a box of ammo and am left
with two sick ponies that only highly specialized vets can cure.

P.S. Do you know if Colt will still repair these under warranty?

JT

Last edited:
Real cute, JT.

Just because others wish to express dissatisfaction with your pet brand doesn't mean you need to be facetious.

Dfariswheel said:
This looks like a revolver Colt is very smartly going to market to the CCW carrier, especially the fast-growing women's market.
Agreed. Someone commented on the lack of target sights, which are pretty much wasted on a snub nose revolver. This gun (based on the photo) has a fiber optic front sight. Semi autos with fiber optic front sights generally don't have adjustable rear sights. That's a setup that's intended for the CCW market, and that's certainly the market that will be interested in a snub nose revolver.

Word I'm hearing is that the MSRP is $699.

If that's true, that's not bad at all.

That's wild.

I was honestly expecting some ridiculous $1200 price tag. I never would have thought that Colt was willing to throw down with S&W and Ruger in the revolver market.

To me, all prices go up over time, especially when people find out something is a good value for the low price. It happened to the SKS, it happened to the Mosin-Nagant, and it'll happen to other guns I'm currently trying to add to my collection before people figure out they're not crap for under $200.

Those are poor examples. US SKS prices are artificially high. Chinese and Russian SKS's have been banned from import, and the remaining nationalities dried up. Current import SKS's in Canada are still somewhere around $150.

Mosin Nagants are military surplus of finite production and have been under $100 for almost 100 years, even corrected for inflation. They've only dried up in the past several years, leading to recent price increases.

Here's the ad. Knew it would be stainless, knew it would not be as elegant as the older models. But very excited to see Colt back in the DA revolver market.

standard.jpg

The only way Colt could have gone was with a revolver to compete with Smith & Ruger, as I've said along the way.

Nothing surprising about it. :)
Denis

Knew it would be stainless, knew it would not be as elegant as the older models.

I dunno, IMHO, still prettier than a Ruger.

Those touches and with such a low entry price causes one to lack optimism about the true quality of design and materials or finish.

I dunno again, IMHO, a $699 MSRP on a .38+p only revolver is not that low.

Of course, maybe they can justify it as only a snub nose for close-in duties.

I think that is exactly what they are doing. Again, the biggest market for DA revolvers right now is for SD/CWC use, and this seems to be the market Colt is targeting with their first DA introduction. Smart choice and a great way to test the waters, cause of they can't make it there, odds are they won't make it anywhere in the DA revolver market.

Maybe I'm being hard on Colt here, but I'm not like some people here who value a gun on it's collectable ability or potential value in the future. To me, all prices go up over time, especially when people find out something is a good value for the low price. It happened to the SKS, it happened to the Mosin-Nagant, and it'll happen to other guns I'm currently trying to add to my collection before people figure out they're not crap for under $200.

Do I base a lot of my dislike on people's experiences with Colt guns in the past? Yeah, but for the prices people paid for them, I expect them to receive a product that's not defective. I remember last year on another forum someone was asking about whether to get a Uberti SAA clone or a Colt SAA. Of course, everyone on a gun forum being hardcore enthusiasts, all except for me and a few others said get the Colt because... COLT! And because of the difference in the steels which is a pointless statistic to me as I've never heard or read of anybody complaining about the Uberti Cattleman in any way other than it wasn't a... COLT!

Someone who spends $1500 on a Colt is putting that right in the safe and you know what? Guns should be bought to be shot. I know, some must think that sounds silly.

Given Colt's recent financial issues and lack of ingenuity, those who really want to get their hands on a newly made Colt might want to grab these up quick, because if they don't sell, Colt's going to have put a lot of money into something that didn't sell and they may never bother with DA revolvers again, if not just close its doors for good.

If you want my guess on the quality Colt will deliver, I expect it to be on par with that of good Taurus with a price tag more than a S&W.

I liked Colt, the Colt of the 1800's and early 1900's that were literally on the cutting edge of firearms technology and were of the highest quality. Then at some point in time, Colt rested on its laurels and lived off the military contracts and left innovating alone. While it's nice to see Colt getting back into the DA revolver market, I know if I went to the Colt booth at SHOT show next month and asked them what makes it better than what Smith or Ruger make now, I'd get the same answer... It's... A... COLT.
How many Colt revolvers have YOU owned? Since you're one of the most vocal critics in this discussion, perhaps it's because you've been burned by a bad Colt? Or are you just repeating interweb nonsense?

I've had Colt's that lacked in every way imaginable. I've had 1911's that didn't work without gunsmith tuning, Pythons that needed too much maintenance and single actions that were gritty on the inside and poorly polished on the outside. Those days are long gone. The current crop of 1911's, SAA's and New Frontiers are among the best to ever bear the Colt name. The past is irrelevant to all but interweb critics who seek to find fault so they can sound like experts but fall short on real experience. What matters is that right now, Colt builds a very good handgun and I expect this to be no different. From $1500 1911's to $5000 factory engraved SAA's, I buy all my guns to use.

Colt making revolvers again, no matter how ugly and/or expensive some seem to think they are or might be, is a very good thing, imo.

If the MSRP is $699 that's 2x the price I paid for my S&W 638. I strongly doubt the Colt will be 2x better. No thanks...I'll stick with the Smith.

The Colt's has three things working for it that the others just don't have:

1: One extra round
2: Pony
3: COLT'S.

While the first point is a bonus, the last two are why this revolver will be automatically better than anything else in production. It is the only way.

The Colt's has three things working for it that the others just don't have:

1: One extra round
2: Pony
3: COLT'S.

While the first point is a bonus, the last two are why this revolver will be automatically better than anything else in production. It is the only way.
Armscor/Rock Island M206 is a 6 shooter, so it's not like the Colt is the only snubbie on the market with a 6 round capacity. Honestly, for the price though, if I wanted to part with that kind of money, I'd rather... pony up for the Kimber K6s in .357 Mag.

Back