New Colt Python?

attachment.php

late 60's blue job

IMO older Pythons were works of art, but rather shoot an older 586. Seem to remember the older pythons had gain twist barrels, but never actually measured one. From my limited experience, they are exceptionally accurate. Much prefer the da pull of well tuned older S&W.

"I'm hoping they bring back the Python snub!"

The only gun company I've had any luck at all in guessing what's next is Colt.

I strongly suspect a 2 1/2 inch Python will be next up, probably followed by a 3 inch version.
An 8 inch would be down the line if there's a big enough market.

I'd also be looking for distributors like Talo offering special edition versions.
A good one would be a new version of the super rare 2 1/2 or 3 inch round butt model.

I ordered in a NIB Colt Combat "Commander" Elite last June specifically to preserve its cosmetics, which swiftly degrade in a LGS display case. The pistol was observed to have extraordinary cosmetic damage direct from the box, including an idiot scratch which was something I had never observed before on a factory fresh 1911.

There were tool marks just under the Colt address and just above the serial number on the right side of the frame, really ugly tool marks! The two tone slide(stainless/ion bond black)had scratches running the entire length of the slide right along the dividing line between the two finishes on both sides of the slide.

Colt was contacted and for two months I could not connect with a human being, 30-40 minutes each morning on hold, and ditto for the afternoon, often I would be on hold for 30 minutes or more and suddenly a recording would play stating that Colt's was now closed for the day!

Ultimately it took a highly detailed letter and the threat of immediate legal action to produce a result, and a doozy it was, Colt after evaluating everything I had experienced and offering their profound apologies hand picked me a new sample direct from the factory floor and we exchanged the two with each other.

This was the first time in 40 years of dealing with Colt's awful customer service wherein they coughed up an entirely new firearm as a replacement for what was obviously a sample which never should have made it off of the conveyor belt, let alone ship from the factory!

While I like the looks of the new Python and hope the fella in post 7 has nothing but greatness out of his sample, I'll still be passing on any new Colt wheelguns, Cobra, King Cobra, and especially Pythons until Colt's shakes them out for a few years....

I wouldn't buy the new Python. My 1978 4" Python 4" blued is in great condition & I fire it once a month. I would & did buy the 3" King Cobra & it's a great carry but has a weird quick fire feel to it. Took me awhile to get used to it.

I definitely do not like the new incarnation of the King Cobra, the original was a very handsome wheelgun, the recent sample just has no soul, its to linear vs the original revolver.

Well, I had my first "problem" with the 2020 Python yesterday. At one point it skipped advancing the cylinder and the hammer fell on an already fired cartridge. A brief stop and it continued to function in dry fire mode, so I went back to shooting. In a couple of cylinders, it did the same thing.

This time I stopped and looked things over closely and found that the two screws on the left side of the gun were loose. If you look at the pictures I posted earlier, of the left side, you'll see a screw about middle of the trigger guard, and there is another under the grips that you can't see. The one in the middle of the trigger guard was so loose, the sideplate was starting to come up. Since the sideplate is used to hold all the internals in place that was allowing them to come out of alignment with each other. (This is as I understand it from what people who know a lot more about the internals tell me. I ain't that smart.)

It took about thirty seconds to find a screwdriver in my bag, a minute to remove the grips, and a few more seconds to snug each screw down, and flip the gun over and check the one on the right side. It was OK.

I had 450 or so rounds through it at this point, almost all of them being 357 Magnums. After I tightened up the screws, I went back to shooting with no more problems and have dry fired it another hundred or so times. I'm sure that was, and has resolved the "problem." I have purple locktite on order and will put a dab on those screws when it arrives.

So, other than that, I'm up to 500 rounds with no real problems. No, I don't consider having to snug a screw to be a "problem."

Last edited:
Back