New Colt Python?

Congratulations on a beautiful revolver . Personally I would rather have one to shoot than one sitting in a safe worrying about firing for fear of lowering value.

To the Nay Sayers who say it is not like the original DAAAA! Everybody knows this and no one is claiming it is . No revolver today is built like it was years ago. I can remember people complaining about the fragile lock work and the original ones going out of time.
Try to find someone to repair your hand fit lock work today.

If I remember correctly the originals were twice the price of a Smith.

C. Bass enjoy and please keep the range reports coming . Oh ya I know that dud felling . I took my CMP M1 Special first trip to the range. I had a small group around me for the first shot and click. A lot of chuckling was heard. I had 200 rounds with me and the first one had to be my only dud. :o

The hickok video does concern. It is just one, but the whole platform is new...

Take a bunch of 686s (like being sold right now). How many are posting about issues? I think I am the only one with a binding issue brand new. S&W returned it fixed in a week. Otherwise, I haven't heard anything.

Cost half that and had 7 round cylinder...just as pretty :)

Time will tell. I do think there is a market for these though.

Case in point, Hickok’s review of the new S&W 19 Classic.

What happened? It locked up on him.

Bad things happen, especially when something is a very new design.

It’s been that way since the beginning of manufacturing.

“Another Youtuber posted the exact same issues before Hickok did his review of the Python.....it’s the identical problem that would be concerning to me.”

Could you please post the link to this as it may be helpful to other members.

It’s in the comments section of Hickok45’ video.

“Another Youtuber posted the exact same issues before Hickok did his review of the Python.....it’s the identical problem that would be concerning to me.”

Could you please post the link to this as it may be helpful to other members.

This guy is a bit tough to watch but the problem is the same https://youtu.be/y0dJPxXmhtc. My thoughts on this are that it’s not a huge deal and I would imagine that most of these guns will work fine like CajunBass’s Python. I do intend to buy one of these but I will let the few teething pains (like a lot of new handguns have) get worked out and also to see if these things start to sell under MSRP, of course it doesn’t make it easy to wait when CajunBass post pics of that gorgeous revolver with a outstanding range report...:D

Cajun bass scored again !
They look like a python to me , probably made better with some improvements too...
I want both the 4" and the 6" I think they are gorgeous revolvers , this is just what I have been waiting for ...

After my experience with the NEW Colt Cobra there is no way in blue blazes I would be in any hurry to buy a NEW Python. The Cobra looked like a blind monkey with palsy had assembled it. Colt will be assembling these as fast as possible, quality control be damned, and ship guns with skewed, bent, and outright mutilated parts just to get them out the door, and rake in unsuspecting Colt lover's money. If you either just can't wait, or you have already committed treat buying these guns like buying a really sketchy military/LEO trade in gun, and have a gunsmith check it out BEFORE you even take it home. I mean have the gunsmith open it up and look for springs that were rebent with pliers and jammed into the action, and other super stupid mistakes, shortcuts and other grossly unacceptable manufacturing defects. Yeah, the old Pythons I have do go out of time, just like the tires on my car go bald, but once upon a time you got a new hand, a file, and you fit the gun with a new hand. Has anyone even tried finding Colt revolver parts lately? Colt might have them, but no one else does, so if you enjoy owning a gun the spends more time at the factory than in your possession, go for it. I am going to wait until all rush to keep up with demand and learning curve for the Colt assembly line employees abates a little bit, so they can get up to speed with making a decent gun.

Been shooting my Python since about 1985 or so. I have had not one problem with it. Because it’s so valuable, I recently retired it to the safe and bought a 686+ for the grandkids to shoot.

Early in my first marriage, my then wife and I each picked out a handgun we wanted, and we saved for them. She was an experienced shooter and she wanted a 6" nickel Python. Hers was bought a year before my first choice, probably 1980 or 81. After shooting a box, we had a list of issues that needed to be addressed. We were both disappointed since there was a 'reputation' with the Python. I wrote a 3-page letter, describing the issues, and attaching quotes from one of their latest gun magazine advertisements. Their response was simple: "Send it back". So we did, they had included a shipping label. In a couple weeks, our friendly neighborhood UPS driver dropped off the reworked Python. Although we split up in 1987, from what my son tells me, it's still in pristine condition even though it gets shot occasionally. So, I would be OK with picking up one of these, I figure Colt is putting a lot of effort and $$ into this so they will make any problems right, just like they did in the past. Should ours been right the first time? Yes, certainly. But it wasn't, and once we found issues it was taken care of quickly. I personally have no arguments with Colt.

To be honest, I haven't heard convincing reasons why revolvers years ago where built any better than today. Hand fitting was LACK of precision of mass produced parts.

If a MIM part doesn't break, there actually isn't a "feel" difference or strength issue.

Simple fact is, a revolver action is more complicated than the internet would lead you to believe and is shooting a hard round. I simply don't buy that revolvers were even marginally better way back when.

Collectable different? Sure. I get that. Strength wise or timing wise? Please.

I have three of the original type Pythons, but only shoot them rarely. I plan on getting a new model Python but will wait a year or so for a couple of reasons. One reason is to let everyone else work out the bugs. I've learned over the years that practically every new model of a handgun (not just a variation) seems to have some issues, some minor and others not-so-minor. I recall that when Colt switched to CNC-machined 1911s, there were all kinds of complaints. They stood behind their product and then worked out the kinks. I can tell you that I have been very pleased with my new-model King Cobra and think the trigger on that is as nice as I have experienced.

Just an update. Another 100 rounds of my 357 reloads downrange today. No malfunctions or bobbles of any kind.

Not even a dud round. :D

Another range trip. Another 80 rounds without a problem. That brings me up to about 240 or so. The only "problem" being that first dud round.

How does the new python trigger stack up against a performance center trigger?

Well...to tell you the truth, I've never used a performance center gun, except for a 642-1, J-frame, so that's not a fair comparison really.

I have used a number of Smith and Wesson's over the years, dating back to at least WWII, and I don't recall any that I thought had a much better trigger. About all I can say for sure is the 2020 Python has as good a trigger, out of the box, as I've ever experienced.

On the other hand, you might not think so.

I can second that, my new Python has an amazing trigger. Minimal stacking, clean break. Amazing for out of the box and more accurate than most shooters will ever be..

Since this is back up I will add that I did another hundred or so rounds of mixed 357/38 through mine yesterday bringing my total to 350 or so without an issue.

About 3000 pythons in the wild now

I have recently laid eyes on serial number in the 3000 mark so hopefully the growing pains are a little refined by now.
Word is the first pythons were shipped in December in the 6 inch model to select dealers. After the new year they started shipping the 4.25 version.

The crown marks are created by the robot taking the barrel off the cnc machine and sliding it on a rod on a rack and it is not exactly aligned with the bore of the barrel. I personally have a relative that works at the factory. They also are dealing with burrs on parts and external finish issues. They are close to resolving everything if they have not already.

Colt has ruffled feathers with the ar program but I respect the fact that they recognized the glut in the ar market and decided to not Perdue the commercial side. Doubt sales were strong anyway as they had high prices for basic ar rifles.

I bought one a couple of days ago. Beautiful gun. Best trigger I've ever used. Locks up tight as a tick. I'm not crazy about the grips, but I've seen much worse. They'll probably stay if for no other reason than I like my guns to look "stock out of the box."

I've seen the Hickok45 video. The fact that his malfunctioned didn't bother me too much. It happens. I'd be disapointed of course, but if it breaks I'll send it back and get it fixed. I haven't fired mine yet, but I have gone through four or five hundred dry fire cycles (with snap caps) with no problems.

I would have preferred the 4.2" barrel, but I said I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 6" one if that's what turned up first. That's what turned up first.

The price was at MSRP, $1499.99. Maybe that's too much for some people, but I've wanted a Python since I had to sell the last one I had when I was out of work for a year or so, some time back now. I figured with prices over $2000-3000 and up I'd never get another one. I might could have waited for the price to drop, but I'm an old man and might not live that long. :D

enhance

enhance

I understand the internals are different. Considering one of the grips against the "old" Python was that their lockwork is weak, that might be a good thing. As I said above, the trigger on this one is VERY, VERY good. I handed it to my wife, who frankly wouldn't know a good trigger, from one on a garden hose. Her eyes just got big and she said "WOW! That is NICE." And that's in both single and double action. And no, there is no stacking at all.
Nice there Cajun Bass, post some groups the next time you take it shooting.:)

Back