New changes to Az Gun Laws "No Dry Ice"

Looks like a crime before the passage of this new law.

Really? Before dry ice was "proscribed" as the case may be, would crime would they have been convicted of?

So, Wild.... in Arizona I can have them charge you under this statute if you grab a piece of dry ice and drop it down my pants and it causes any kind of frostbite burn?

Reductio ad absurdum

This is the big trend with lawmakers -- don't outlaw the actual act, outlaw anything leading up to the act and/or the mere possession of something.

Really? So in your view inchoate offenses should not be allowed, nor posessory offenses that can form the underlying basis of a malum in se act ?

Further, can you emprically demonstrate this purported "trend" absent reference to the ever increasing technological means of doing harm.

WildthisgetsinterestingAlaska ™

I think I am safe from from this law as I have no idea where to get dry ice. As far as I know it would be about as easy to obtain some nuclear feul for a bomb than a dry ice bomb. What would be the involvement of dry ice and guns?

Just ignorant down here in the South.

Maybe they think the Dry Ice will lock up the Hydrocarbons and make detection by sniffer dogs less effective!

I can't think of why you would want dry ice near a firearm!

I suppose if it was in a container, Like Nitrogen it (Co2) would prevent rusting.

Eaaa?

ufo_1-1.gif

WildAlaska said:
Reductio ad absurdum

Read the statute again, Ken. All that is required is that you possess dry ice with the intent to cause injury... to another person. A dry-ice burn/frostbite is an injury. It is plausible that just the attempt to drop it into someone's clothing could justify charges, depending on the size of the piece of dry ice.

WildAlaska said:
Really? So in your view inchoate offenses should not be allowed, nor posessory offenses that can form the underlying basis of a malum in se act ?
I did not say that. I said that it seems the trend (of the last 3 decades of the 20th Century at least) of legislatures has been to ban the possession of many items rather than to prohibit or punish acts committed with the specific items.

If the same MS-13 members, in AZ, carry the same materials - a dozen glass quart jars, nails and a note saying Here's a gift for you white guys substituting a gallon of water and 2 pounds of calcium carbonate, could they be charged with an offense?

You betcha, but only if the police officer knew that calcium carbonate in water produces a lot of flammable gas. At the very least, he has probable cause to detain and investigate these individuals. The same would apply to the dry ice.

One of my local hardware stores sells dry ice, especially for early morning fishermen heading south. So, if I decide today I'm going to wire in new cabinet lights in the kitchen and purchase a pound of sheet rock screws, wire, some mason jars for the wife's pickle project and 10 lbs of dry ice to keep the fridge cold while I work, a police officer might believe your theory of possession forming "intent" for some malum per se act.

Further, can you emprically demonstrate this purported "trend" absent reference to the ever increasing technological means of doing harm.
Probably, given some time and as part of a different thread. ;)

I think I am safe from from this law as I have no idea where to get dry ice. As far as I know it would be about as easy to obtain some nuclear feul for a bomb than a dry ice bomb. What would be the involvement of dry ice and guns?

Around here, dry ice can be purchased at just about any grocery store.

There doesn't appear to be any involvement between dry ice and firearms, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for all of the input...this is the very best place to get all of the opinions (and they are free *smile*) no pun intended.

Back