New ccw semi auto 9mm

ammo.crafter

As above, I'm looking for a CCW semi auto in 9mm with a barrel around 3 to 4 inches.

My present CCW is a Browning Hi Power which is flawless and a joy to shoot. As I get older, the Hi Power seems to get heavier and I was considering one of the poly semi autos under $500.

All suggestions/opinions are gladly welcome.

I have a few SD9VE made by S&W. Good reliable accurate defensive arm.

Most people bitch about the trigger, but I DO NOT want a light trigger on a defensive firearm. The trigger can be learned on any firearm if you shoot it enough.

Prices were all less than $300 at Academy.

Just to note, the wife chose this gun over all the others that were in stock, without prompts from me.

My thoughts were that if I were ever unfortunate enough to have to use it for defensive purposes, the LEOs would take a cheaper firearm from me than one of my more expensive semi-autos.

IMHO, the poly semiauto with a 3-4" barrel is about as versatile as you'll find. Fortunately, in the "up to $500" category, there are LOTS of good choices. Just off the top of my head:
Glock 19
Ruger SR9c
S&W M&P 9c
S&W M&P 2.0 Compact
CZ P10C
Springfield XD or XDM

Those are just the ones that spring to mind. Please remember that the only one of those I've ever actually owned is the G19. So . . . YMMV.

Yeah, USNRet93 reminded me of something. As little as I like the idea of being a beta tester, I'd give the G48 a close look for CC.

Glock 43 is light and thin. I’m not a Glock guy, but they are a decent carry gun that you totally forget you even have with you.

I really like my Shield for EDC. Very easy to conceal with the right holster, it shoots nicely for the size and it does a good job filling that middle ground between a pocket pistol and double stack. It's also been totally reliable.

Spats has a good list, but I would add the Walther CCP M2 and PPX to that. Those have differing operating systems and hence trigger pull, which is why Walther has both in the lineup. These are the lower-priced models from Walther.

My personal choice in that size is the CZ P-10C. However I am having a hard time selling off the Glock G19 Gen 4. It is such a nice pistol and I improved the sights and trigger into the "just right" category.

Bart Noir

Sig P365 10 plus 1 or 12 plus 1 shoots great,comes stock with night sights,is 9mm and very easy to carry.

Glock 43 or Sig 365. I have the Glock 43, but the Sig 365 managed to squeeze 4 extra rounds in the mags, yet stayed very close in size.

I'm in the same boat, looking for a smaller, lighter daily carry. I've rented and test fired several and I've decided on the S&W Shield for me. I guess there's a reason that S&W has sold over 2 million of them. YMMV so I recommend you find a range that rents guns and test drive a few if you can.

I keep flipping back and forth between the G43 and Ruger LC9 (striker version)

The Ruger feels thinner for ccw.

As above, I'm looking for a CCW semi auto in 9mm with a barrel around 3 to 4 inches.

My present CCW is a Browning Hi Power which is flawless and a joy to shoot. As I get older, the Hi Power seems to get heavier and I was considering one of the poly semi autos under $500.

All suggestions/opinions are gladly welcome.

The S&W M&P pistols will feel like your Hi Power since they have similar ergonomics. Their barrel lengths of 3.6" or 4.0" would suit your needs. And, they can be had with or without a frame mounted manual safety that operates just like the Hi Power.

I'm frankly shocked how well my P365 shoots and fits my largish hands. It's not a target pistol by any means but chewing the center out of the 10 at 7 yards is more than enough. 13 rounds on board is a real plus.

My P01 has been flawless but gets a bit heavy at times.

I shot and owned several. I finally chose a Glock 43 and like it very much. In fact, I eventually bought the double-stack version (G26) to keep it company.

Back