New Browning X Bolt 30-06 owner need advice from previous owners

Burt, I am shooting at 100 yds, that is the limit at the club I am in. I know what your saying about the Tikka, I have one in 223 but it didnt come into its own till about 100 rounds had been down the barrel, "I did buy it new" I am pretty sure the Browning will get tighter, I am still working with the loads and oal, So far I am very happy with the rifle as far as a hunter, I checked the Timney website and they say they keep working on triggers for the newer production rifles, they make one for the A bolt already, I think its just a matter of time for them to come up with one for the Xbolt, when they do I will have one.

Interesting to know that the rifle gets more accurate as more rounds pass through it. Browning should learn from other gun makers though, its what hunters want. I just adjusted an already good out of the box stock Profire trigger on my cheap Marlin Xs7 .308 and now its simply amazing, probably the best trigger Ive handled on any gun period!

tho not a browning X-bolt, i own a 700 rem 7mm-8 and the scope i put on it is a leupold 2.5x8 verix 111 and i liked it so much i bought another, the load that i use is 44grs varget with a 120gr nosler BT and have shot groups less than a inch at 200yards from a lead sled. i own other browning firearms,just not a X-bolt yet. eastbank.

Thanks eastbank, I will give that load a try..Question, How far from the lands to you seat your bullets?

Last edited:
Bolt question

Question, Im not sure if its only my X Bolt but do you guys notice that when you close the bolt with a round in the chamber, do you have to push it extra hard to lock bolt lever down?

Its kinda hard to explain, Im not sure if im wording it correctly. The action and feeding of the bolt is smooth but when you put a round in the chamber and then try to lock the bolt down it doesnt lock (lever movement down) unless I push a bit harder and further.

I did notice that also Burt, I thought it was maybe the fact that I use reloaded ammo and it wasnt fully resized but if its happening to you it must be the gun itself. I was shooting with a guy today that had a 270 A bolt and he didnt have that problem.
I will have to add, went shooting my Xbolt again today and I tried a load that Eastbank suggested. 1/2" group at 100 yds..very pleased.

Last edited:
Its mind boggling what goes on in manufacturer's/engineer's minds when designing products, expensive competitive products! Do they not field test it before mass producing it? Do they not take notes of hunter's feedbacks on how to improve their products?

If I were to design something I'd at least field test it several times first myself before releasing it to the public!
Guess common sense aint common these days....

Mine was pretty stiff when new but after using it has become much easier to close. Work the bolt like you mean it and it will get better. I do wish the bolt knob was bigger and more spherical rather than flattened.

What caliber is yours in Burrhead? What kind of accuracy are you getting?

I have a .308. Using 150gr. Sierra Pro Hunters with Varget, I get consistent sub MOA five shot groups off a front bag. I've shot about a dozen deer with this load from 50 to 225 yards and they've all been one shot bang flops.

I agree with Omaha, mine is getting easier and once you get used to it there are no issues, rather have it tight than loose.

Back