New Browning X Bolt 30-06 owner need advice from previous owners

I have a leupold vari x 3i 3.5-10x50 and I used the medium height rings, perfect fit for rifle and scope..I got the Talley 1 piece base and ring.

My main reason for getting this is the 60 degree bolt lift. I just hate when my thumb bangs against the scope so this should take care of that
If your thumb hits the scope, it's not so much a problem with clearance as it is with technique.

Use the flat part of your palm to lift the bolt and your little finger to pull it back, keeping your thumb away from the rifle.

Push it forward with the heel of the palm and use the base of the thumb to push it down.

I imagine there are Youtubes showing the method.

The main thing is you never grasp the bolt handle with your thumb and fingers.

I've sighted-in several Browning rifles and always got excellent accuracy. We don't see as many at the range as other popular makes like Remington, Winchester or Ruger.

The things I haven't liked about Browning bolt rifles are:

*Triggers haven't been as crisp or as easily adjustable as others;
*Stocks and metalwork are kind of shiny for deer hunting.
*The "Boss" (if so attached) is too noisy at the range.
*Rifles are heavier than I like.
*Bolt lift is shorter than all my other bolt-action rifles, so it feels weird.
*Bolt handle feels weird, but I could get used to it.

If these, or any other peculiarities don't bother you, enjoy...because it's a really great rifle.

Picher, I know what you mean about the trigger, feels real good dry firing but in actual firing it is a bit heavy. I got the eclipse thumbhole stock so it is not shiny at all, I do like the bolt throw but it will take some getting used to, as far as the weight, I bought mine as a stand rifle, for walking around I still have my model 7 Rem.. Have you had any experience with the x bolt in 7-08?

@Snyper, well I have my Marlin xs7 and it has the usual 90 degree bolt lift and I use the normal way to work the bolt with the left side of my palm but Ive never gotten used to that and not comfortable with that way. Also if the scope has a cover on it it just makes it even harder. When Im doing my quick follow up shots then the 90 degree bolt doesnt work for me.

@Picher The rifle is only about 7lbs or so, I wouldnt take any lighter than that.
I will definitely adjust the trigger down to the min 3lbs because that is still heavy trigger for a hunting rifle. As I read in the manual online here its simple to adjust the trigger. Just unscrew the trigger guard and find that screw in front of trigger to turn anticlockwise to lower it. Does yours have a different method?

@NHSHOOTER, I just bid on ebay on a set of xbolt rings which you suggested :)

Burt, I bought my rings on ebay shipped to me for $51.00..from "fuddlebucks", just checked and they are just at 53 bucks today. Free shipping. I have adjusted my trigger down to just about minimum, would really like 2.5 but I am sure I will get used to the 3 lb..

one other thing burt, when you take the trigger guard off to adjust the trigger, mine was coated with a epoxy type glue, had to pick it out before I could get the allen wrench in..

I found a few other sellers on ebay and amazon selling for around $38 otd.
Not sure why these are so expensive.....man they sure do rip us hunters/firearm owners off on everything!

How much do you turn that screw anticlockwise to get it to 3lbs? does it stop turning at the lowest setting?

I didnt keep turning the screw until it hit any kind of stop, afraid it would come free and do some kind of damage..Did get 3 lbs with a trigger gauge.

I would use Locktite on it once I loosen it. Ive heard some rifle owners mentioning that they loosened theirs (on various rifles) too much and the rifle would fire when closing the bolt or when dropping it lightly on the butt pad causing an accidental discharge.

I have an x-bolt in .308 and man is this a tack driver. If I do my part, I can keep my rounds touching at 100yds. The action is super smooth and it has been a reliable gun. The only thing I have to say is be sure to locktite your scope mount bases. The little screws will back out if you dont.

Yep, Locktite everything. I had a screw come loose on my Marlin Xs7 .308.
Its a pretty accurate rifle too I was shooting cheap Tul ammo with a stock cheap scope on a wobbly rest and getting MOA @100 yards for first set of shots. Then later I think the barrel heated up after 20 or so rounds and lost accuracy.

Burt, you can find bad reviews online for Schmidt and Bender scopes. That is proof that some people will gripe about anything because S&B scopes are perfection.:D

Well, finally got the delivery of my rifle at the FFL today:)

Its a nice looking rifle. The scope mounts havent came in yet so havent shot it yet. Got browning X Locks and won a bid on Ebay for $25 shipped.

Just wish the wood was a bit lighter color and the trigger definitely needs to be adjusted down to 3 lbs.

Not sure why everybody complains about the trigger.

My buddy bought a new Hells Canyon X bolt and has been complaining ever since--even though the rifle is very accurate----and all the gripes in this thread.

The trigger on mine barely even moves and that works for me---my other bolt actions are a Ruger Hawkeye with stock LC6 trigger and a TC Venture with stock trigger-----both quite accurate. The X bolt trigger is much better than the Ruger trigger.

Ordered the Leupold DD rings and bases plus a spare magazine for mine so far----still deciding on the scope. I just like the trimmer look of the steel rings vs the clunky-er looking Talley aluminum.

I will tell you Omaha-BeenGlockin, I have several rifles with adjustable or timney adjustable triggers and they all go much lighter and are as crisp if not crisper than the xbolt I just purchased. I am not complaining about the x bolt trigger just sayin it just doesnt adjust light enough for my liking...

Yup, in a hunting situation that stock trigger will do just fine. But I also like going to the range and practice my groups to get consistency so thats where a lighter trigger helps.

Burt, Just returned from my second outing with my x bolt, trigger is still not light enough but the groups I am getting are pretty impressive for a new rifle. 1" groups from 2 different loads and a 1.5" from the third. New scope is tracking well also..

NHShooter, I hear ya man. I just adjusted it down to the minimum, dont have a trigger gauge. How many yards are you getting the 1" groups? I've heard so many Tikka rifle shooters having an impressive .5" group @ 100 yards on their rifles right out of the box with factory ammo! That is the usual MOA for those rifles.

I wonder if thats the cold hammer forged rifling in the Tikkas making them more accurate versus the Browning's button rifling?

Back