New Browning X Bolt 30-06 owner need advice from previous owners

Burt

Inactive
Hello Fellas!

New Browning X Bolt owner here and I need advice from previous owners. So I just ordered an X Bolt in 30-06. Have not received it yet but coming soon. I got it for deer hunting and target practice at the 100 yard range.

I got it in walnut stock 22 Inch barrel 30-06 for $660 out the door so not sure
if thats a good/average price for this rifle.

After I ordered it then I found some bad reviews from many people on it and found better opinions/reviews/experiences from many hunters on Tikkas and Weatherbys:(

How do you guys like it so far and any issues advice etc?

This will be my first Browning rifle and a first 30-06. I own a 308 Marlin Xs7y
and its a decent rifle for the money($330 otd)

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• browning_x-bolt-30-06.jpg
    browning_x-bolt-30-06.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Hello Burt, I myself just received a browning x bolt in 7-08, just finished reloading some rounds to try it out tomorrow, I like the way the rifle feels, just have to see how it shoots..Will report tomorrow..

Allright brother, hope yours shoot excellent and is a tack driver. Cant wait to get mine in and try it. Just hope mine doesnt disappoint!

Going to pick up my Composite Stalker X-bolt .270 as soon as I take a shower.

Guess I'll post more details when I get home.

You can say I nearly stole this rifle---they had a slightly shop worn new rifle marked at $549 that I asked them to hold till came back the next day---go back the next day and they had sold the rifle out from under me---but offered to sell me a completely NIB rifle shipped in from one of their other stores for the same price----I took them up on the offer and only had to wait 2 days.

I just put in for the $75 rebate---so basically got it for $475.

I have a couple old scopes I could put on it but I think I want to go completely new with a Leupold VX2 or VX3i. So saving up for a new scope and haven't decided on either the Talley or Leupold mounts yet.

So that's where I'm sitting at with this rifle---and it is very nice.

Last edited:
Have you had experience with x bolts before? Ive read a few complaints from hunters on the 270 wsm not ejecting cases when fast actioning the bolt. Let us know your experience when you get yours, thanks

Burt - I shoot a Browning X Bolt Medallion in 223.. You got a good deal $ on your 30 06 imo.
I enjoy my rifle -- accurate, the mag and action work together nicely plus the fit and finish is, well, a Browning. I have a 9 × 24 - 40 on mine.

Good luck.

David. :)

After I ordered it then I found some bad reviews from many people on it and found better opinions/reviews/experiences from many hunters on Tikkas and Weatherbys
Pay no attention to what others say is "better".
Browning sells millions of rifles and has just as many satisfied customers as the other brands.

Internet "reviews" are often fiction anyway.

Trust but verify.

See how it does, take it from there.

Thin barrels are not going to shoot very well over 3 rounds.

For target make sure you get a lot of in between shots cool down.

Just remember Burt, Most rifles will shoot better after several rounds have been put down the barrel, some believe in barrel break in, others dont, read up on it and make your own decision, I have made mine and will break in my rifle as I have read it could be done, nothing ventured nothing gained..

I absolutely love my x-bolt white gold medallion in .223.. possibly my favorite gun I own to shoot, definitely the prettiest.

Good to know, thanks for all the inputs. I will try my best to break it in as required at the 100 yard range here in North Atlanta. Thats the only 100 yard range we got here (indoor). Would love to go to an outdoor/open range to test and break in this rifle before its deer ready.

Also, hows the price at around $660 otd on this? They were available in synthetic stocks but I love how the wood looks on a nice hunting rifle:)

I bought a wood stocked X-Bolt hunter in .308 five years ago. Using my hunting load (150gr. Sierra Pro Hunter over Varget) I get consistent sub minute five shot groups off a front bag. I have a target in my reloading room that's ten rounds in 0.82". I keep it in 2 inches at 150 yards kneeling.

Beyond being very accurate, the gun handles superbly. Light, very well balanced and just seems to point itself. The stock is designed like fine shotgun in that it recoils away from your face and, with the very good butt pad, the gun is an "all-day" shooter.

I'm 64 and have been in this rodeo a long time and this is by far my favorite hunting rifle. $660 is a very good price; I paid over $700 five years ago. The only knock I have with it is the overly complicated bolt. I highly recommend this rifle to anyone.

BTW, get the Tally rings made for it. They're priced right, mount easily and work as they should.

Just returned from the range from shooting my new x bolt, I confess, I did the prescribed break-in, shoot 1, clean, etc..by the time I was done I was getting a 1 moa 3 shot group, I know it will only get better when I work up the optimum load, just wish the trigger would adjust down a bit lighter, may get better with age.. All in all, very pleased with my new purchase.

Great info from everyone. Seems like you guys are pretty happy with yours.

NHSHOOTER you mentioned that you just bought yours. Do you know they got a rebate going on these rifles? see Browning's website I think its like $75 off, do take advantage of this deal if you havent already sent in your rebate form.

@Burrhead, I will order the rings but does the x-bolt at least come with a base?

My main reason for getting this is the 60 degree bolt lift. I just hate when my thumb bangs against the scope so this should take care of that. Man I hope mines accurate because thats what most important to me.

I will order the rings but does the x-bolt at least come with a base?

The rings have their own base. In other words, one ring and one base are one piece. You get a set of two. It'll make sense when you see it. Each base attaches with four screws in an X pattern hence, X Bolt. It's a very stable and sensible system.

Burt, Thank you for the heads up on the rebate but unfortunately I ordered my rifle online on 11/22, day before the rebate..I do like the 60 degree bolt lift, I shot about 30 rounds today and got some pretty good groups but I know It will do better once I find the sweet spot I shoot it a bit more.

Sure no problem. Sadly you missed the chance to get that rebate by only 1 day! What height is your usual scope rings on this, medium, high?

I've had my synthetic stocked 3006 xbolt for about 2.5 years. It shoots consistently at a inch or better, just relax and shoot slow. I have a Leupold vari x II 3x9. You will be happy with how it performs.

Back