New ammo technology/multiple impact bullet

Wow, that guy is annoying! I know other's have mentioned it already, but I'm real interested in it's penetration capabilities?

Tim from the MilitaryArms Channel and TheBangSwitch just posted a write up on this ammo.

It can be read here:
http://www.thebangswitch.com/multiple-impact-bullet/

Looking at the ammo and the target, 3 fragments of about 40 grains each that are quite large? Looks like there would be considerable 'flutter' of the projectiles. Being that large and oddly shaped, you see the keyhole patterning on the target. They would likely NOT penetrate worth a darn. Sure, they would hurt a lot, but I bet they don't get more than 3 or 4" of penetration, certainly nothing approaching FBI standards.

Semi-lethal? What?

What a joke. I'm sure plenty of people will buy the product because plenty of people have more money than brains.

Different types of multi-ball ammo show up occasionally. Remington had a multi-ball 45acp round for bank guards ,They stopped production in about 1918.

If the cables stay attached you wouldn't need a ton of penetration. It would be more of a "slashing" round than a "stabbing" one.
I still really want to see a gel test.

Sadly, I'm guessing they haven't posted one because they're unimpressive.

Others have said it:

Three 40 gr. fluttering pieces of metal alloy held together by a piece of string. The pieces strike side on. Likely it would hurt some but there would be a lack of penetration. Penetration is important.

Would you trust this against a fellow in heavy winter clothing?

In the video they maintain that there is no danger of penetrating through a person.

Would you trust this to take a deer at 20 yards? Or 10?

Might work on a rabbit or raccoon.

Weapons Education is an odd fellow. I think it was at the 2012 or 2013 Shot Show that Les Baer (maybe Ed Brown) would not grant him an unscheduled on camera interview for his on line show. Weapons Education threatened tried to force Brown to give him an interview by threatening to denounce him to the "millions" of internet gun people who watched his show.

This is nothing like chain shot. That was fired from a cannon.

This is handgun velocities.

tipoc

LOL . . . I've actually enjoyed reading all of these posts more than I did watching the idiotic video . . . you guys all sound like a bunch of old farts sitting around the village coffee table . . . "humph . . a horseless carriage! It will never catch on!" :D

You have to admit . . . it's an interesting concept . . . BUT . . . it's not a cure all solution for someone who either doesn't or won't take the time to practice and then practice some more. Realistically, nobody knows how they will react if put in to a situation where they have to defer themselves. As I watched this video, I was thinking about the other day when I was sitting in the grocery store coffee area waiting while my wife shopped. I say this rather large and overweight young fellow come in (no offense to anyone) and what ran through my mind was a scenario with a perp that size and IF you could put someone down that size if you needed to as they were shooting at you. Looking at this round, I really question the "put down power" - they don't show penetration shots but I really have to doubt it.

I worked ambulance, fire and rescue and I've seen more than my share of gunshot victims. If it is one thing that I learned, it's about shot placement and never say "just what" will or will not put a person down and keep 'em there. Every situation is different just as the people involved. I guess I'd rather put my confidence in a proven round and hope that I can keep my wits about me enough to hit central mass than I would in a "flying saucer". That's why I shoot as often as I can on a continuing basis to keep in practice and even though I'm 61, I continue to take training and learn as much as I can when the opportunity presents itself.

As far as a "non lethal round" . . or whatever they referred to it as . . . that is contrary to everything I have been taught over the years. I was shot at many years ago and I can still remember the extreme fear, confusion and what seemed like slowing of time - but which was actually only a few seconds. I wasn't armed. I don't know how I would react if placed in that type of situation again . . but if I am in fear of my life or that of my family . . enough to draw a weapon and defend myself if someone is going to shoot me . . . I have always been taught that you shoot to put them down and don't stop until they are . . because they are trying to do the same to you.

This "new round" to me is just a bunch of "hype" - there is no short cut for practice and training . . . however, I suppose it may have possibilities for pheasant hunting up close? :eek:

You don't have to go back to buck-and-ball for that kind of thing. There was 7,62mm NATO M198 duplex load, which had two 84 grain bullets in the case; the rear one had an angled base so it would fly off at an angle. The idea was to disperse the fire from machineguns. (FWIW, the bipod was moved from the foreend to the barrel on the BAR for the same reason; the BAR would put all its bullets in an enemy's third coat button at 100 yards if there was nothing to spread the blessings around.)

Jim

If the cables stay attached you wouldn't need a ton of penetration. It would be more of a "slashing" round than a "stabbing" one.

The problem is that it is string, not cable. If it doesn't detach, it will cease the penetration of the projectiles when the string catches on bone.

Also, the flutter aspect means velocity will be lost VERY quickly.

The light weight and large size of the projectiles means penetration will be very shallow. The keyhole impact means the projectiles will enter the body in the least penetrative manner possible.

This "new round" to me is just a bunch of "hype" - there is no short cut for practice and training . . . however, I suppose it may have possibilities for pheasant hunting up close?

Sure, you could bolo their legs and catch them live that way!

Sure, you could bolo their legs and catch them live that way!
LOL!
That's pretty funny actually.

It's also not real far off the other wild claims made for this junk ;).

Back