New 1911 purchase help

Not to start an argument, but virtually none of the guns commonly called 1911s are true 1911s. They are 1911 'pattern' guns.

Currently, I don't own a true 1911, but I have a half dozen 1911 pattern guns. Which I just call 1911s, just like nearly everyone else.

My favorite right now is my S&W 1911 SC-E bobtail. it has an external extractor, which has never needed anything done to it. It's been the most accurate, and reliable 1911 I've ever owned over 30 years. My second favorite is my Para-Ordnance P13, which also has been very reliable since I switched out all the springs in the mags (springs were pretty old). It has an internal extractor. Also never had to fuss with it.

And yes, I've had several people tell me that my 1911 isn't a 'real' 1911. Who cares as long as I like them.

That said, I'd ignore what the purists say, and just get what YOU like from the options you listed above. They're all pretty good guns. But if it were my money, and my first 1911, I'd probably just go ahead and get the Colt. If you end up being a 1911 fan, eventually you're going to get a Colt anyway, so you might as well get one as your first.

I have 6 1911's

1 Colt Gold Cup I've owned for 45 years, won't shoot anything but ball ammo but it's the most accurate and reliable of the bunch. Never had a problem with this pistol, only problem is that with 45 years of use the trigger is now less than 2lbs.

3 Dan Wessons, everything you need nothing you don't.

2 Kimbers very accurate and reliable except for the MIM parts which keep breaking, reason I switched to DW's.

Over the years I've probably owned 5 or 6 Colts. All were excellent pistols I just traded them off for other things I needed at the time like a bass boat, O/U shotgun, 20 gage SXS and last but not least a started bird dog.
Obviously fishing and upland hunting are my #1 passions. :)

1 Dan Wesson

2 Colt

I forgot did you say something else?

Colt is the basic 1911. They run well despite having some mim. They are the original pattern.

Dan Wesson reengineered the 1911 as far as I can tell. Their guns are built right. I have 2 and they run....period.

Some of the other brands you mentioned have issues. Your chance of buying a gun with issues is quite low, but it is still too high, IMO. That is why I like Colt and Dan Wesson.

Over the years I've owned commercial 1911s from Colt, Ruger, Springfield, Rock Island, and Remington. Some have been more finicky regarding ammo, but I haven't owned enough of each brand to say which is "best".

I do believe that below $1000 the differences are mostly features and cosmetics as opposed to durability and reliability. The basic 1911s I've had generally seemed just as durable and reliable as the more expensive ones (below $1K). Pay extra for "upgraded" hammers, triggers, grip safeties, and sights if you really want them. But a basic model with something a bit better than tiny military sights suits me as well as the models with the "upgrades".

I also prefer models that retain the fundamental design features from a replacement part standpoint. External extractors are likely fine, but standard extractors are available from many sources.

Juancts: said:
Some purists say that if it has an external extractor, then its not a real 1911

I’ve had 2 SW1911’s with external extractors, I still have the 2nd one and I’ve never had an extraction problem with either gun!

Last edited:
There are always going to be purists who will criticize one vs. the other over something. Biggest disputes seem to be model 70 triggers (or before) vs. Model 80 (w/drop safety).

Just buy want you want. Nothing wrong with tweaking the design. Browning himself would have.

FYI - I have the Ruger SR 1911. It has a model 70 setup (no drop safety), but uses a titanium firing pin so it's highly unlikely it would go off if dropped (not enough momentum). To be honest, chances of a negligent discharge on drop is pretty low anyways.
The standard 1911 (without that goofy series 80 safety), is not likely to fire when dropped either...unless you are on horseback or up on a ladder, even then the muzzle will be pointed down. Seems like "safety" taken to the extream.

Over the years I've owned commercial 1911s from Colt, Ruger, Springfield, Rock Island, and Remington. Some have been more finicky regarding ammo, but I haven't owned enough of each brand to say which is "best".

I do believe that below $1000 the differences are mostly features and cosmetics as opposed to durability and reliability. The basic 1911s I've had generally seemed just as durable and reliable as the more expensive ones (below $1K). Pay extra for "upgraded" hammers, triggers, grip safeties, and sights if you really want them. But a basic model with something a bit better than tiny military sights suits me as well as the models with the "upgrades".

I also prefer models that retain the fundamental design features from a replacement part standpoint. External extractors are likely fine, but standard extractors are available from many sources.
You are way to logical. The high-end 1911's just have to be better or they would not cost so much. :)

I'm a big fan of Dan Wessons and own several. They are well made and have excellent triggers (all Series 70). I also like Colts, but I prefer the DWs.

dahermit said:
The standard 1911 (without that goofy series 80 safety), is not likely to fire when dropped either...unless you are on horseback or up on a ladder, even then the muzzle will be pointed down.
Field testing has demonstrated that the above statement (to which I used to subscribe) is incorrect.

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/drop1/drop1.htm

As a result of Drake's and Walt's testing, I have retired any non-Series 80 pistols I own from carry duty.

Of the half dozen plus 1911's I currently own, my hands down favorite for carry is a Sig RCS (Officer's Model grip length, & 4" bbl with an alloy frame). For me, it's the grip length and weight of the all-steel 1911, that conspire to make day to day carry of a 1911 problematic. The alloy framed Sig with its external extractor is a high quality piece that's nearly 100% reliable for me, and they're avail able on gunbroker at reasonable prices.

That said, if you're looking for all steel 1911's I'd recommend either of Ruger's SR1911s; the full 5" bbl'd model or the CMD with its 4.25" tube. Mine have been virtually 100% reliable and every bit as accurate as my Colts with their Wilson match bbl's and bushings. By that I mean, ~2" gps at 25 yds from a rest with good ammunition in the 2 that I own.

A definite plus with the Rugers is their compatibility with series 70 Colt or other milspec parts. Mine are 100% interchangeable. These are all steel guns, SS in fact and good choices for range or carry if weight is not a hinderance to you. If the latter, look into Ruger's alloy frame models...or even the 9mm if you don't object to that antiquated caliber...LOL.
HTH's Rod

My favorite right now is my S&W 1911 SC-E bobtail. it has an external extractor, which has never needed anything done to it. It's been the most accurate, and reliable 1911 I've ever owned over 30 years.

I love the looks of the S&W 1911 SC-E and it also has pretty good reviews, but its price seems to me a little steep. I don't know, but for $1,400 I think I'd better get me a Dan Wesson.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Some purists say that if it has an external extractor, then its not a real 1911.

You are buying what you want, not what others want you to have.

If you pointed a Sig 1911 down range, everyone in eye-sight would say or think, "that's a 1911."; not "What is that? I don't know what it is. Is that an external extractor? I don't recognize that style of pistol. Did that guy make that at home?"

Firing pin safeties were briefly mentioned earlier. They are another factor to consider in your choice of 1911. Designs based on the original 1911 have no such safeties, while others may have a Series 80 or Swartz firing pin block safety.

At least some Kimbers and S&Ws have the Swartz safety, and some Colt models have the Series 80 safety. Remingtons also have a Series 80 type safety. Many of the 1911s offered by other companies have neither type of firing pin block safety.

The presence or absence of one of these safeties may make a difference to you (or not).

You are buying what you want, not what others want you to have.

If you pointed a Sig 1911 down range, everyone in eye-sight would say or think, "that's a 1911."; not "What is that? I don't know what it is. Is that an external extractor? I don't recognize that style of pistol. Did that guy make that at home?"
I agree with what you say. The thing is, I want to buy a good "keeper" 1911 that holds its value, not a soon trade-in to be weird 1911. Some manufacturers make changes and inventions, some other make just crappy guns. That's why I've narrowed it down to Colt, DW and Sig. Any other recommendations are welcomed. Thanks

Firing pin safeties were briefly mentioned earlier. They are another factor to consider in your choice of 1911. Designs based on the original 1911 have no such safeties, while others may have a Series 80 or Swartz firing pin block safety.

At least some Kimbers and S&Ws have the Swartz safety, and some Colt models have the Series 80 safety. Remingtons also have a Series 80 type safety. Many of the 1911s offered by other companies have neither type of firing pin block safety.

The presence or absence of one of these safeties may make a difference to you (or not).
Definitely. I'll be carrying it.

Others will no doubt disagree but, if you'll be carrying it, I definitely recommend a pistol with a Series 80 type firing pin safety. That includes most (but not all) current Colt models, as well as several other manufacturers. But a couple of manufacturers use a variant of the Swartz firing pin safety, which is deactivated by squeezing the grip safety rather than by pulling the trigger, and many others don't use any firing pin safety. I once tried to compile a list of which manufacturers used firing pin safeties and which didn't, but I never completed the research.

Others will no doubt disagree but, if you'll be carrying it, I definitely recommend a pistol with a Series 80 type firing pin safety. That includes most (but not all) current Colt models, as well as several other manufacturers. But a couple of manufacturers use a variant of the Swartz firing pin safety, which is deactivated by squeezing the grip safety rather than by pulling the trigger, and many others don't use any firing pin safety. I once tried to compile a list of which manufacturers used firing pin safeties and which didn't, but I never completed the research.
Appreciate your help. Do you know what kind of safety Sigs 1911 use ???

Back