New 1911 purchase help

Juancts

I'm in the market for a new 1911 handgun. I've been looking at Colts, Kimbers, Dan wessons and Sigs. My doubs came while making research in order to make an informed decision. Some 1911s (Sigs in this case) have external extractors, while traditional 1911 don't. Some purists say that if it has an external extractor, then its not a real 1911.

Appreciate your help and comments.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I personally don't own one with an external extractor, but I have a Star model A in 9MM Largo and it functions fine using an external extractor, it's very much like a 1911 in appearance. If the warranty is worth anything and you want one that should be good enough I guess.

There are always going to be purists who will criticize one vs. the other over something. Biggest disputes seem to be model 70 triggers (or before) vs. Model 80 (w/drop safety).

Just buy want you want. Nothing wrong with tweaking the design. Browning himself would have.

FYI - I have the Ruger SR 1911. It has a model 70 setup (no drop safety), but uses a titanium firing pin so it's highly unlikely it would go off if dropped (not enough momentum). To be honest, chances of a negligent discharge on drop is pretty low anyways.

All my 1911s are Colt Series 70. Three of them. I have a 4th that is a WWII pistol that has a Remington Rand slide and Ithaca frame. It was an arsenal rebuild sometime or another. I inherited it from a cousin several years ago.

The Series 70s are available in used condition. Two of mine were used when I bought them.

All are still original and they function great. They are accurate as well.

With those in my safe, I have no need for any Kimbers or Dan Wessons or Sigs.

These are my opinions and mine only. YMMV.

The external extractor may be fine on the 1911, but some manufactures have tried it in the past (Kimber for one) and quietly went back to mil spec internal extractors (Kimber)

They might work fine, but I would not buy an older Kimber with the external extractor.

Personally, I will stay with the original internal extractor, because that way, I have more choices, example; I can replace it with, like a Wilson Combat bulletproof extractor.

I will concede that the original Colt extractor is probably the most likely part that might need to be adjusted or replaced during the lifetime of the firearm, that and maybe a broken firing pin, and possibly slide stop. But by staying with a 1911 true to the originals, parts are everywhere, and I am not stuck with a manufacturer specific part, that no one else supplies or might supply in the future.

But that's just me. If it has an external extract then it's not a real 1911 in truest form, but it's still close, and that doesn't mean it's not a good gun. Sig may have it mastered, but for me, if the Sig's extractor was giving problem, I wouldn't know how to fix it for sure, but the original Colt extractor; I do know how to replace, adjust, etc, if I had to.

The original, John Moses Browning design for the M1911 did not use an external extractor so the purists are correct -- a pistol with an external extractor is not a 1911. That said, "M1911" and "M1911A1" are military designations used by the United States Ordnance Department. Even Colt commercial pistols were never called "1911s," they were (originally) "Government Models." In more recent years, they have taken on a variety of different model names.

There's nothing wrong with the SIG external extractor. Smith and Wesson also makes 1911-pattern pistols with external extractors, and they also seem to function. Kimber tried external extractors a few years ago, and failed miserably at it.

Since you are considering SIGs, of more concern to me is that when SIG decided to start offering 1911-pattern pistols, they wanted to "make it look like a SIG," so they redesigned the external profile of the slide. The result is a pistol that doesn't fit in most holsters made for 1911s.

SIG does offer a few 1911s with a standard, traditional slide profile: the "We The People" model, the Match Elite, and the Fastback Emperor Scorpion.

IMHO, Kimbers are over-priced for what you get. You're paying for all those full-page ads Kimber runs in all the gun magazines.

Of the four brands you mentioned, the only two I would consider buying are Colt and Dan Wesson. I own several Colts; I don't own any Dan Wessons.

I have more Colts then anything else. And usually carry a Lightweight Commander, but I also own a couple of Springfield's, one Dan Wesson 10mm (older gun), and I have owned few Kimber's, and still have a 3' Kimber, I also have a Wilson 5 inch gun (older gun again, over 20yrs old) and I have an old Clark Pin Master comp gun, build on an old Springfield frame and Colt Gold Cup slide. They are all pretty good guns, but each has minor differences.

I recommend for the money, a newer Colt if your price range is 800 to $1,200 or so, but not exclusively, as I would not be afraid of some of the other brands if I found one that I really liked, and I would look at that Colt really close before I bought it, as quality control is pretty good as of lately, but one slips through every once in a while that isn't quite up to my liking.

For 1911's I'm pretty much always going to recommend the Springfield Armory Range Officer.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series/

It's got the stuff I like (decent accuracy, decent trigger, adjustable sights, decent customer service reputation) and none of the gee-whiz extras that I don't want to pay extra for.

If money is no object then go see Les Baer for one of his fabulous 1911 custom models.

https://www.lesbaer.com/

or if money and time are no object then go build your own 1911 here:

http://garthwaite.com/services/classes.php

(That would be REALLY fun.)

Your money, your choice. Feel free to disregard other opinions.

The Dan Wesson is more expensive than many other brands but they have a good reputation for quality.

I’ve fired a couple of SIG 1911s; they had good triggers and they were accurate.

I have more Colts then anything else. And usually carry a Lightweight Commander, but I also own a couple of Springfield's, one Dan Wesson 10mm (older gun), and I have owned few Kimber's, and still have a 3' Kimber, I also have a Wilson 5 inch gun (older gun again, over 20yrs old) and I have an old Clark Pin Master comp gun, build on an old Springfield frame and Colt Gold Cup slide. They are all pretty good guns, but each has minor differences.

I recommend for the money, a newer Colt if your price range is 800 to $1,200 or so, but not exclusively, as I would not be afraid of some of the other brands if I found one that I really liked, and I would look at that Colt really close before I bought it, as quality control is pretty good as of lately, but one slips through every once in a while that isn't quite up to my liking.
What makes Colt your first option ?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll preface this by noting that I've owned a whopping 3 1911s in my life. 2 Springfield Armory GIs (one of which was stolen after ~3 weeks) and 1 Colt. So take it into account that I am no expert. With that said, I like the looks of an internal extractor, but I wouldn't decline to buy a pistol just because of an external one. If I were looking for one with an external extractor, I'd probably be looking hard at S&W. Those are probably the busiest-looking 1911s that I like. That said, of the ones you've listed, I'd be hard pressed to pass up the Dan Wesson. Not that I've ever shot either the S&W or the DW, mind you. FWIW (which really isn't much).

I've owned 1911's with both types of extractors and a Star model PS 45 acp with the external extractor .
To be honest I didn't notice any great difference between them . They all extracted cases just fine .
The original internal type might be easier to replace if that's a factor ?

I wouldn't let an external extractor or internal extractor be the deciding factor, in my experience it's just not that big a deal.

That said , I do like the ease with which an internal extractor can be changed .

Gary

Decide on how much money you want to spend first. Then if you want a clone or a Colt. That'll depend mostly on your budget, but do not discount buying used. Prices vary a great deal for either.
Where the extractor is doesn't make much difference. What you plan on using it for might matter. Lotta variations too.
Dan Wesson is owned by CZ, if that matters to you. BNIB they're about the same as a Colt on Gunbroker.

I have three 1911's. A Colt ('Series 80' from 1984) and a Kimber, and a Springfield.

My favorite, far and away, is my bottom-of-the-line Springfield "Mil-Spec."

Had I bought my Springfield before the Kimber, I'd have two Springfields. My brother also has a Springfield; and I have shot a couple others. All of them - all of them - I have found to be very fine shooting guns.

I'm a big fan of Springfield 1911's.

Back