Negligent Discharge.

I've had several unintentional discharges with my P228, sending them into the ceiling at indoor ranges and over the berm at outdoor. They were all in the form of unintentional "double taps", and came so fast after my first shot that the muzzle was still pointed up for the recoil of the previous shot.

Took me a while to figure it out, but I was shooting a couple hundred rounds of .22 from my Mosquito before picking up the P228. Somehow the difference in trigger reset, recoil and muscle memory was causing me to pull the trigger a second time completely unintentionally. I call those accidental discharges, and I don't shoot my Mosquito before my P228 any more.

Negligence would be if I continued to shoot the Mosquito first, knowing that that it would cause an unintended discharge of the P228.

WyMark I said I was done, but I can't help but ask if it wasn't negligent after the first round went into the ceiling or over the berm? Didn't you have an obligation to figure out what was happening and why before endangering others? "Several" unexplained, unintentional discharges with those results are not simple accidental discharges in my opinion. I am glad you figured it out though.

K_Mac, I would have to agree with your assessment. I dry fired the 228 hundreds of times to try and figure it out. I fired hundreds of rounds trying to figure out if it was a problem with me or the gun. I could never reproduce it, but then every once it a while it would just unexpectedly happen. What I meant by "several" was 4 or 5 instances over a probably 2 year period, I don't normally shoot both .22 and 9mm on the same range trip.

In hindsight I felt like a total idiot for not putting it together much sooner, that it only happened when I fired a couple hundred rounds from the Mosquito before firing the 228. That doesn't ever happen any more.

WyMark I will turn 60 in a couple of days, and I can look back and find many examples of decisions and actions that if I knew then what I do now, I would have done things differently. I think that the best we can hope for is to learn from our mistakes. I like the 228, although I don't own one. Glad you were able to master the little fella!

Still stinging after a week from this.

Two more things I want to include.

Without going into detail, prior, I had had a very bad day. I was a bit frazzled.

The shell casing was " dirty " black carbon kind of, on the sides of the case. It was a subsonic round.

Tired and frazzled -- I will always be aware to be more aware in that state now.

The case - I have no idea. It was a clean chamber and the round didn't go in that way.

Bottom line -- I didn't properly confirm.

Back