Need list of .32 DA/SA revolvers made for the past 70 years

You are probably going to have to wait a long time!
The pressure of the .327 needs that steel frame, so it will not come out in the aluminum frame. That's why the current .357, 9mm and .327 all are the steel frame and slightly heavier LCR.
Then they make one in a steel frame, not difficult considering they make the LCR in a steel frame.

All they'd need do is open up the spot where the hammer would be, make the POLYMER grip longer (which they already have the molds to do this with the .38 LCRx 3 inch), and make the barrel shroud longer, again something they already do with the .38 LCRx.

Making more chamberings in the 3 inch LCRx is so simple and easy to do that Ruger could do this within a month if they wanted to. They plain just don't want to, I believe.

HVR raises an excellent point. Unless the current .327 Federal SP101 turns out to be a runaway hit, I doubt that Ruger will be in a hurry to produce a steel-frame LCRx, especially considering that the SP101 should more comfortably fire this cartridge.
Well the thing there is that the .357 would likely be very popular in the LCRx, so I'd imagine that they will eventually make it. If the gun holds up in .357, then a .327 will eventually come.

Yeah, the LCRx with 3 inch or longer barrel kind of competes with Ruger's SP101 line, but Ruger has two different series of semi auto pistols in the SR and American lines, so it's not like Ruger doesn't already do this.

TruthTellers: you asked about customer service....but are asking about types made over the last 70 years. For many brands.. that is a gunsmith proposition as the brands may either be gone, merged, or reorged so that they won't even look at the old stuff.

As stated before.. name the country and chances are that one or more of their makers made a 32 S&W long. Czech, Poland, Germany, G.B., France, Spain, Italy, etc. etc. etc.

Arminus, EMGE... ever heard of them? Made in Germany.

Alfa Proj...Czech

Webley

make the POLYMER grip longer (which they already have the molds to do this with the .38 LCRx 3 inch),

FWIW, the polymer tang on the 3 inch LCRX is not longer than any of the others.
Only the supplied Hogue grip is longer, but you can put the same short Tamer grip that comes on the LCR's onto the 3" LCRX grip tang.

Oh, so the polymer grip of the LCRx 3 inch is basically the same as the LCR? Well, that makes it even easier to make more of the 3 inch LCRx models.

I expect a .22 by the end of the year.

Dont hold you breath for a LCRX in 327 any time soon. I e-mailed Ruger last week about just such a gun and they said the do not have any plans to make the LCRX in any other calibers. It is beyond me why not especially since they already have the parts for the other models.

smee78 said:
I e-mailed Ruger last week... and they said the do not have any plans to make the LCRX in any other calibers.
Of course they're going to tell you that, since they surely want you to buy one of their existing models NOW, and not wait for a new one that might turn out to be vapor! :rolleyes:
TruthTellers said:
I expect a .22 [LCRx] by the end of the year.
I'm not so certain about the timeframe, but I'm confident that Ruger will release this model as well. .22LR presumably wouldn't require retooling the LCRx to use the steel frame, and the result would fulfill the role of a lightweight woods gun better than snubby LCR or the heavier and more expensive SP101, not to mention the expensive S&W J frame alternatives. I think it would outsell all of them.

Pardon the extended thread hijack. ;)

Truth, I know that you've been burnt by a used H&R but in the price range you list, an H&R revolver is probably your better chance of staying in price range and having a decent functioning revolver. I have a 733 passed to me by my father. It has no issues, but I would also be surprised if it's had 100 rounds run through it during it's lifetime. He wasn't a "gun guy." He had his grandfather's shotgun, which was a single shot H&R circa the late 1800's that he hunted with until the 70's/80's (probably shouldn't have been shooting modern ammo out of that thing, thinking back), and he bought that revolver for HD.

There are probably a good number of these laying around that were purchased the same way mine was, as a cheap HD piece. They were your classic "Saturday Night Special," but they were more functional than a Jennings or Bryco. At any rate, I would wager that the true "value" of an H&R 732 or 733 to be better than any Rohm, Rossi, Taurus, or Astra (Astra was hit or miss, some things were quite good... some not so much).

I don't trust S&W 32 long as a SD round, but I did buy a S&W Hand Ejector for $125 just because. It was cheap because its nickel finish is flaking, but it's mechanically sound and as accurate as any revolver with tiny fixed sights.

I am totally okay with 32 H&R magnum as a SD round. I bought two NEF (H&R sister company) snubby revolvers for less than $!50 apiece that had been shot very little and function perfectly. I wouldn't expect them to last for thousands of rounds, but they are quite effective. If I ever run across the 6" version with adjustable sights I will probably buy it.

I have a 4.2" Ruger Sp101 in 327 magnum. The trigger is so stiff that I don't like the gun much, but with a good trigger it would be a very nice piece. I paid over $400 for it and don't feel like I got a good deal.

If you can find a Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R magnum for a reasonable price, buy it. Mine had very worn finish and I got it for $300. It is as accurate as my 22 version. It will remove the middle of a paper target at 15 yards within a few cylinders.

My wife and daughter prefer a 32 H&R magnum revolver for SD. I found a Charter Arms Undercoverette for around $225 barely used. It is pink, so apparently no one else wanted to bid on it. It is accurate for a snubby, and I think it will be reliable for many years with the occasional practice rounds they put through it.

rlBQE9Lh.jpg

It is in .32 S&W Long. Korth built this revolver for the German market since .32 S&W Long is the smallest centerfire round permissible in DSB sanctioned competitions. It is a very accurate round and, while revovlers in .32 are rare for competition use, many target pistols, like the Hämmerli P240, P280, Walther GSP, were offered in .32 S&W Long WC.

Last edited:
While I have no great interest or knowledge of .32 revolvers, I was astounded that it took 23 posts before someone mentioned Iver Johnson. The owl was on a LOT of .32 & .38 break tops in the pre-WWII days.

Going back 70 years puts us just past the end of WWII, and the time when .32 revolvers were seriously in decline.

.32s were the police gun around the turn of the century, giving way to .38s within a few decades. In decline as service arms, but still very popular as compact carry guns, until production of about everything civilian ended during WWII.

After the war, the .32s simply never picked up again, as mainstream, .38 took that spot, and .357 later came to dominate the police market. The civilian market flooded with .38s and .357s as top quality arms, and new production of .32s fell to a trickle, except for the very cheapest guns, which held their popularity due to low price over all else. And even then, they had to compete with many cheap imports, guns left from the war, and new production both.

The introduction of new .32 rounds in recent years has increased interest and popularity quite a bit, but not enough to displace the leading calibers popularity, and .32 remains a niche caliber still today.

I don't trust S&W 32 long as a SD round, but I did buy a S&W Hand Ejector for $125 just because. It was cheap because its nickel finish is flaking, but it's mechanically sound and as accurate as any revolver with tiny fixed sights.

I have a 4.2" Ruger Sp101 in 327 magnum. The trigger is so stiff that I don't like the gun much, but with a good trigger it would be a very nice piece. I paid over $400 for it and don't feel like I got a good deal.

If you can find a Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R magnum for a reasonable price, buy it. Mine had very worn finish and I got it for $300. It is as accurate as my 22 version. It will remove the middle of a paper target at 15 yards within a few cylinders.

My wife and daughter prefer a 32 H&R magnum revolver for SD. I found a Charter Arms Undercoverette for around $225 barely used. It is pink, so apparently no one else wanted to bid on it. It is accurate for a snubby, and I think it will be reliable for many years with the occasional practice rounds they put through it.
While the .32 S&W Long is not a powerhouse round by any means, I have more faith in it than .22 rimfire, .25 ACP, or .32 ACP, so it's not the worst self defense cartridge ever.

But my longing for a .32 S&W L. revolver isn't based on self defense alone, I'd like a snub .32 to test reloads with and is low price, but decent quality. With the H&R I got, that HEAVY DA trigger pull was something fierce, but I'm not looking for something with this awesomely light and crisp pull.

I think I'm going to keep looking for used Charter Arms .32's on gunbroker as they show up. They seem to be the best bang for my buck.

A lot of my desire to keep the price low is because if I'm going to pay $300 for a .32 revolver, I may as well spend an extra $200 and get the power of a .327 in a reliable and well built Ruger. Unfortunately, as you have experienced, the SP101 has a bad trigger and I don't like that among other things.

It's hard to believe, but the Single Seven may end up being the .32 revolver I get and I really would rather have a revolver with a swing out cylinder.

Honestly, I would rather wait and see what other .327 revolvers come out in the upcoming years, be them from Ruger or S&W or someone else.

I totally agree about the 32 S&W long being better than the other rounds you mentioned. I am still astonished when people say they will use a 22 for SD instead. The recoil of the 32 is negligible and it throws a much larger chunk of lead.

In terms of sheer FPE, you're right, but .32 Long is more flexible in terms of bullet shape and size.
When it comes to energy, the lighter, faster bullet of the higher pressure .32 ACP will have more, but the price of that is diminished penetration. While there are a lot of people who will swear that a .32 ACP hollowpoint is better for self defense, I disagree, just like I disagree with 90% of the hollow points available for .380 ACP.

Give me a wadcutter or SWC for .32 Long that weighs 98+ grains and I consider it better than .32 ACP and apparently, so did police departments of 1900 to 1930's.

I totally agree about the 32 S&W long being better than the other rounds you mentioned. I am still astonished when people say they will use a 22 for SD instead. The recoil of the 32 is negligible and it throws a much larger chunk of lead.
They stand by .22 because it's cheaper and easier to get than .32 ammo. Also, the lack of .32 revolvers (and even pistols for that matter) makes it difficult for one to easily jump into the caliber without taking the chance on a used gun, which is generally going to cost as much as a new .38 or .22 today.

I guess I should have said appalled rather than astonished.

Yeah, to someone who is not a gun person, nothing exists between 38 and 22. And they might be afraid to buy a used gun.

Too bad. If someone knows where to look, used 32 revolvers are inexpensive.

When it comes to energy, the lighter, faster bullet of the higher pressure .32 ACP will have more, but the price of that is diminished penetration.

That's not entirely true. The 32 acp FMJ penetrates a lot more than people give it credit for. Also, in 32 S&W there is a school of thought that you should use the full wadcutter instad of the RN load for the damage that the full profile sharp edged bullet does vs. the RN. If you don't believe me just look at Buffalo Bores offerings.

If someone wants a .32 S&W/.32 S&W Long caliber revolver and will accept nothing else, then there are some relatively modern revolvers in that caliber (not .32-20, not .327; not .32 ACP). But they are uncommon and there is a serious power limitation. Those cartridges have only two advantages, low noise and low recoil; under some circumstances those may be very important, but I find it hard to believe that any apparent advantage would not be cancelled out by a lack of power. Trying to do damage to an enemy without making a noise has no advantage if there is no damage done.

Jim

In terms of sheer FPE, you're right, but .32 Long is more flexible in terms of bullet shape and size.

...and especially for a reloader when it is used in a solid revolver with tight chambers. I have pushed some experimental loads through my .32 S&W Long Korth that put the brass to the limit.

Back