Need for draw speed a myth?

mikerault

We all know the scene, two men facing off amano amano and the winner is the fastest one to the draw. Now, how often in real life does this happen? In almost every case I have read about the BG has their gun out first or you have several seconds of warning of a BG in your house, store, whatever. I don't ever recall a story of a person defending them themselves from a bad guy where draw speed was really a major factor in the outcome.

Now, if non-LEOs have some actual verifiable cases where draw speed was a critical part of their defense in a real BG verse GG situation I would love to read them!

You have no way to know what your problem is going to be, so you have no way to know what you're going to need to be able to do to solve it. The better prepared you are and the broader and deeper your skill set, the luckier you'll be.

Speed in the draw is accomplished by smoothness and economy of motion. Practice drawing from concealment for smoothness and do not try to be fast. Speed will come on its own.

Not so much draw speed, but rememeber that the more complicated the draw, it could be more of an issue of losing fine motor skills in a confrontation. Whatever you choose, make sure you practice.

You need to "get out" fast!

LEOs train on turning targets to encourage good draw speed out of the holster. We try to get trainees out of the holster in one second or less. Obviously, speed should always be a function of good form and followed through with proper sight alingment and trigger control.

But, if your asking if it really matters in a fight, then I have to say absolutely. A combat shooters ultimat goal is to be both fast and accurate.

I think it is more important to be able to move off the line of fire fast, and draw while you are moving.

The likely scenario is that the bad guy has a weapon out, otherwise why would you draw. In this case, the good guy has to be able to move or strike the bad guy and then move.

If he draws without moving or striking, the BEST outcome is they both get shot.

I think the more beneficial thing is being able to put your gun into action without your opponent knowing that you are doing so. Being a quick draw will not help much (although it's still a good skill to have I suppose) because chances are the BG will already have his gun drawn by the time you know you are in trouble, so he already has you beat on the draw. If you make it obvious that you are going for a gun he will just shoot you then and there. Which is why I don't understand people who carry under their zipped-up jacket or in a fanny-pack. Trying to draw that gun will get you shot. I guess knowing how to shoot well from inside your jacket pocket may be a more useful skill than quick-drawing.

Practice drawing when you can. A gun in a holster is more useless than a brick in your hand.

Sharpen your situational awarness constantly. Unless you're in a high noon duel, your situational awarness is what will save you, not your draw speed.

Sometimes the badguy begins firing before the defender has yet accessed his weapon. I'd rather be lucky a few times than a lot of times in such a situation.

Here's one:
Cincinnati police said two men tried to rob the driver of a lunch wagon, and that during the attempted robbery, one suspect fired shots. The lunch wagon driver then pulled out a .45-caliber handgun, for which he held a license to carry concealed, and shot one suspect in the leg, then held the suspect at gun point until police arrived...

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Ohio-CHL-holders-acting-in-self-defense

In almost every case I have read about the BG has their gun out first or you have several seconds of warning of a BG in your house, store, whatever. I don't ever recall a story of a person defending them themselves from a bad guy where draw speed was really a major factor in the outcome.

If the bad guy has a gun out already and you want to defend yourself with a gun, then draw speed is going to be important. After all, you are starting your defense at a chronological and ballistic deficit. There have been quite a few cases where this has happened and have resulted in a successful defense.

However, here is one of your pseudo wild west quickdraw fights...
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2007-11-07/news/concealed07_1_strangers-soto-concealed-weapons

The likely scenario is that the bad guy has a weapon out, otherwise why would you draw.

Why would you draw if the bad guy doesn't have a weapon out? It may be because you know he has a weapon and he is threatening to use it on you. Or, he has threatened you and starts his own draw.

A fast smooth clean draw tells the goblins you know your stuff. A surrender or chase-off becomes more likely. This is a good thing regardless of whether or not you needed a fast draw THAT time.

---

I'm reminded of that incident in which a guy in Richmond VA shot a lunatic who came into a convenience store immediately firing. The goblin put two rounds into the clerk *immediately*, then pointed his DA revolver at the head of a 10 year old kid. One of the customers pulled out a 7.5" barrel Italian replica of an 1875 Remington 45LC and got a hit off before the goblin could kill that kid. He ended up killing the goblin with that Remmie, without taking any hits himself and without the goblin landing any other hits on anybody else.

The guy was carrying in a classic western-style rig. I can imagine he was damned glad he was able to pull that hogleg fast enough to save the kid.

The clerk survived and was back at work the next day so...overall outcome was pretty damned good.

A reasonably fast draw helps once in a while.

Not a gun, but a knife, my wife put two rounds into a BG at 18' when she saw he was going to attack her. We all know the 21' rule. Not sure she was "lightning fast" but, she came home that night.

EDIT: and it was from a purse holster.

I think Bob Munden is proof that if you can draw fast and be accurate it the way. I dont think there is anyone hear who could be drawn aimed and still squize the trigger before he drew and put 2 in you. He can draw shoot 2 targets 6 feet apart and holster in .2 seconds. Faster than you can blink.

If you do not have a gun out and someone else does you are already behind the curve.

Fingers pull triggers faster than you can draw.

A faster draw minimizes the time you are the one with an empty hand at a gun fight.

Most of us will never be able to draw and shoot like Munden or others.
If you want to read about some relatively modern gunfighters google Jelly Bryce and of course Bill Jordan.
Both could draw and fire accurately faster than the opponent's reaction times.

Read Jordan's NO SECOND PLACE WINNER.

Regards,
Jerry

Think of a fast draw in terms of "getting on target faster." As if getting on target faster is ever a bad thing, whether it be a pistol from the holster or a long gun from the slung position. No, it is not usually a deciding factor. But that doesn't make it a myth.

Last edited:
I think a more rounded skill base is alot better than speed of draw. Alot of things "could" win a gunfight..speed being one of them. Honestly, speed of draw is probably last on my list of needed gun skills.

Everyone has seen that video where the badguy and the trooper both draw their weapons at a traffic stop. They both emptied their weapons from what looks like 15-20 feet and didnt hit anything.

Back