Need feedback on cheap SxS Shotguns

Thanks for the correction. One of the gentlemen at the store did mention that it also makes it easier to shoot the two triggers. I'm glad to hear it is better made. It certainly felt much better made.

I pulled the trigger on the Bobwhite 12/26 from Bud's. I know a lot of people don't like them, but as long as they get me a functional gun in reasonable time, I'm not going to complain. My local Gander Mountain had one, and the distribution center everyone uses in this area had one, and past that, not one could be found anywhere within 2 hours of my location.

Gander Mountain had theirs for $750, which after tax would have set me back $800. I got the gun from Bud's for $665 plus $7 insurance, and will pay a $20 FFL fee. Saved $108, which is equivalent to $400 shells of Winchester bulk.

The #1 issue reported is the firing pins are too long and have a tendency to pierce cheap Winchester primers, and the rear trigger being a bit heavy. CZ covers that in addition to a trigger job under warranty, so I'm not concerned at this point.

If your looking for fun gun, the Stoeger is just that. I have a two trigger sxs and it is a blast to shoot. It's a coach gun so it would not be great for hunting but in a pinch I guess you could make do. It is not a HD gun for me but I can say that I have put a lot of rounds through it without any isssues. Again it would not be ideal but if that is what you have. I bought the Stoeger coach gun for fun shooting and it fits that role well.

Picked up my shotgun after it got delivered from Bud's.

I've read a lot of reviews saying the action is tight, and that's for sure. It will break in nicely after a while. I broke it apart and cleaned everything I could think of and lubed it up with some gun oil I had. Not a huge improvement. I grabbed my grease gun, which I had AMSOIL synthetic multi-purpose grease in, and use that on the lugs, and that smoothed it out quite a bit. All in all I'm very happy with it. The engraving is nice, the case hardened finish is nice, and the walnut stock is very nice.

With break open shotguns, you'll want to oil things that slide like ejectors and use a good grease on things that rotate like the hinge pin, the knuckles and any choke tube threads.

I just bought a CZ Sharp Tail 12g 30" barrels with 6 extenda chokes. Retail is 1,300. paid 1190 at Rifle Gear in Fountain Valley CA. Can't wait to pick it up and shoot clays!

Had a chance to finally shoot this a month ago. What a blast. Literally. Tried both triggers at once and no matter how careful I was, I nicked my middle finger knuckle. Boy was it fun though. The 3 of us ended up going through 140 shells that day shooting trap. I personally shot about 60, and yes my shoulder was feeling it. First round ever shooting trap, didn't know what to expect, and scored a 3/25. Second round, I started getting the hang of it and got 13/25. My shoulder was done though or I would have played a third game.

The reports online of pierced primers on winchester bulk ammo are true. Not on all of them, but it does make it more difficult to open the gun afterward. This happened only on Winchester bulk ammo. I had some Estate ammo and some Remington with me and those fired and ejected without any problems. Since they're only a few cents a box more, I'll be avoiding Winchester ammo moving forward.

All in all, very happy with the purchase and everything worked without any problems.

Trap

First round ever shooting trap, didn't know what to expect, and scored a 3/25. Second round, I started getting the hang of it and got 13/25. My shoulder was done though or I would have played a third game.

That was 16 yard ATA Trap at a Trap range???
One of the problems with using a field gun for Trap is recoil. SXSs tend to weigh in at 7-7.5lbs. A single barrel Trap gun will weigh maybe two pounds more....mitigates recoil. That is one reason why Trap guys can shoot 100 or 200 and not be terribly affected.
About that two triggers at once business...hopefully you have that out of your system. It is surely not the best way to treat your gun. It may have two barrels but it is not designed to shoot them both at the same time.
Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Pete

If by Winchester bulk ammo, you mean their Universals or Super Speeds, do yourself a favor and buy the Federal at Wally World. Those two types of Winchesters are the crappiest shotgun ammo ever made.

Agree with Pete about trying to pull both at once - no need for your shoulder or the breech face to take that punishment. My first time ever firing a DT SxS (being LH) I did that on a pheasant standing on a fence post. Nothing left but some feathers and a HUGE bruise on my shoulder. Took me over 35 years to try one again and I passed on buying what would have been some great guns.

Have fun but be prudent.

Friend of mine bought a Bobwhite a couple of years ago. Really nice gun for the money.

I was considering getting one in 28 gauge, but happened on a Stevens 311/5200 being sold by someone here at TFL, so I snapped it up.

20 gauge, in beautiful condition, and a WHOLE lot of fun.

It quickly became one of my favorite long guns.

That was 16 yard ATA Trap at a Trap range???
One of the problems with using a field gun for Trap is recoil. SXSs tend to weigh in at 7-7.5lbs. A single barrel Trap gun will weigh maybe two pounds more....mitigates recoil. That is one reason why Trap guys can shoot 100 or 200 and not be terribly affected.
About that two triggers at once business...hopefully you have that out of your system. It is surely not the best way to treat your gun. It may have two barrels but it is not designed to shoot them both at the same time.
Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Pete

Yes, 16 yard ATA. My buddy definitely noticed the recoil. After two rounds, his shoulder was bruised purple...for a week and a half. He's a stick skinny guy, but he had a...blast. heh.

I don't intend on two triggers at once very often. It's more of a novelty, just so you can say you've done it once.

If his shoulder was bruised, that would due to improper gun fit.

16 yard targets can easily be broken with 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads, no need for heavy fast ones

And you shouldn't shoot both at once - not nice for you or the gun

Rite of Passage

Over the years it has struck me as the above to pull both triggers on a double gun, most folks don't do it more than once. Often that's all it takes esp. with an old gun that has been weakened by oil.

I hate to think of all the fine old Elsies (LC Smith) guns that had their stocks broken that way. The biggest risk is to the stock.
In fact I'm sure that a lot of fine old guns were ruined by pulling both triggers. Esp. guns that are worth a mint nowadays, like the classic "featherweight" guns.

Still waiting to hear a real story of someone trying that with a big double rifle....that stunt could result in a trip to the ER and a broken gun.....

I did it (shotgun) once when I was young - and it was not on purpose. First time firing a shotgun, LH kid, saw my first pheasant, went to fire and BLAM..............put me off double trigger guns for 40 years......what a waste of my time....took me three shots when I bought one a few years ago to get used to shooting double triggers.

My step daughter did it all the time with my 12 gauge SXS with no recoil pad when she was 12. She won't shoot my 20 gauge at all, says it hurts too much.

Back