Nazi Germany

I don't know the ins and outs of prisoner treatment in Nazi Germany, but I do know lipstick cases could not be made into cartridges for use in Mauser rifles. (If they got the rifles, they would have gotten ammuniton the same way.) There are thousands of such stories, a few might be true.

The 1939 German gun law specifically banned possession of firearms by Jews, and their guns were confiscated. Not many Jews owned guns, given their pacifist culture and aversion to hunting. Still, one of the puzzling aspects of the Holocaust is that so few Jews fought the Nazis at all; one of the resolves on which the state of Israel is based is that such submission will not happen again.

FWIW, I don't think anyone accused of murdering an officer would have been sent to a camp; he would have been tried by a Nazi Volksgericht (peoples' court), found guilty (I don't think they ever acquitted anyone) and executed.

Jim

Last edited:
I think you would be the baddest jew in the world if you killed 20 geman OFFICERS with a petty zip gun. but it sounds like a tall tale. you would be shot,gased or beaten to death

The lipstick case story is true, except that they were used in underground Jewish arms workshops is pre-Israel "Palestine", not wartime Europe.

I have to wonder how if the guy killed 20 German officers with this gun and was in Auschwitz, what happened to the gun was he was interred? So not only did the guy kill 20 officers with it, but the gun was in a safe place when he got arrested and he was able to recover it after being in the POW camp?

If the guy was able to do such a good fabrication job, why wasn't he making zip guns for his fellow Jews?

$30,000 from a Jewish museum? Not likely - not without documentary proof.

The lipstick case story is true, except that they were used in underground Jewish arms workshops is pre-Israel "Palestine", not wartime Europe.

http://benatlas.com/2009/07/life-in-israel-in-1948-part-2/

About 1942 Haganah obtained a specimen and realised the jackpot as they had a lot of disparate rifles in their caches with little ammunition, some being 19th century single shots. These were now dismantled for the barrels to saw up to make four Stems with garage mmachinery to make the butts and bodies. Ammunition was stolen or made from bulk imports of lipstick cases for cartridge cases.

In the few places I can find this mentioned on the web, none have any actual documentation of a lipstick cartridge.

At the Ayalon "factory" near Rehovot, they explain that a large quantity were imported. Some were reformed into larger odd-sized cases for older weapons, but most were recyled into "buttons" to be made into usable cases for 9mms, etc.

Does the gun look like this?

This gun looks very much like your description.

Guide Lamp Liberator Pistol 'Woolworth Gun'
Guide-Lamp-Liberator-Pistol.jpg

This gun was distributed to German Jews by the US and made by General Motors.
http://www.genitron.com/P2Unique-Detail.asp?ID=13

Concerning the lipstick story I mentioned. I learned of this on the History Channel in that "Cities of the Underworld" series where that guy shows stuff, civilizations and interesting subjects UNDERGROUND. They showed a machine shop built under a laundry in which there were reforming die presses, priming presses all set up in series and production. The bullets were tin encased with lead. The firearms they showed were a 19teens's Mauser, 30-30 winchester of some sorts and what looked like a single shot Martini high walled rifle.

They noted there were 10 of these shops all over Europe and the mideast

I had to laugh when I watched the show because the lil old Jewish guy giving the tour told the host that the act of trimming the cartridge opening for correct length is called "Circumcision."

They made their own smokeless powder and also made their own primers that were filled with home made impact explosives. They showed a tunnel that was used for testing that they shot into.

When I was at the Hollocost Museum, there was a section on expedient weapons and ammo and they had a full work up area of the "Lipstick Case" saga and story. Some of the weapons made by hand and with simple tools like hammers, files and crude measurement tools look as good or better than some of the commercial crap being sold today. Their STENs and Thompsons were amazing and added features never adopted in the commercial / Military models.

Some of the barrels were ingenous, one was wrapped / rolled automobile steel, like from fenders, trunks and hoods and wrapped around a correct bore sized mandrel, then the seam was welded and ground.

It is truly an amazing story of perserverance and dedication to their existance and freedom.

The picture above is simply a Liberator Pistol and the one that started the thread sounded even more crude and also said it was a rimfire of some kind. The Liberator was only made in .45 and .9mm that I know of.

Sorry, but no one ever made cartridge cases out of lipstick cases unless they melted them down and started from scratch. The thin tubes would never stand any pressure and there is no place for the primer. I am confused over where this is supposed to have taken place. In Nazi Germany? In the Warsaw ghetto? In Palestine? Where would people in such dire straits get lipstick cases, and if under oppression, wouldn't the authorities wonder who was making or wearing all that lipstick. It would be more credible if someone said that ammunition was smuggled in boxes marked "lipstick" or something like that.

I have not yet been to the Holocaust Museum, but will check on that story when I have the chance. It sounds like something that started as a joke and was taken seriously.

IMHO, any article that talks about "STEM" guns has very little credibility on firearms issues, and the History Channel has even less. (They once showed an AK-47 and an SKS in a story about Bonnie and Clyde.)

Jim

If you read my post above you will see that the "underground" factory using the lipstick cases was in Israel, called "Ayalon" near Rehovot, and was in use from approxomately 1945-49. How much use was made of lipstick cases I cannot say, but they did get some, and they did use them for some purposes.

Jim Keenan: 1st if what you say is true, then NO reloaders use other ammo to reform into wildcat or needed ammo by annealing and using forming dies. I personally have taken 30-06, .44, 444 Marlin and 7mm cases and made other ammo. They do need to be annealed though prior to doing so and this is usally done with a Bernzo-matic torch with the case heads in water. I have even formed my own copper jackets at home with just copper sheet stock and a hand hammered formed chisel die I made. Then I filled them with lead. If I could do it then damn near anyone with a lick of sense could do it. Some of those Jewish tool makers were very talented and intelligent folks when it comes to making things work.

On this one Jim you are wrong and proven so via world history and documented proof.

The fact the Germans and Arabs and whoever did not realize what was happening to the lipstick cases, it did go un-noticed. The History Channel story showed the one in Palestine (now Israel since 1948). The Holocost Museum shows underground shops in Euro, and Mideast.

Just for giggles I looked at my moms lipstick cases she still has from the 30's and 40's. Of the 7 I checked, 5 were brass, 1 steel or tin and one was aluminum. I measured the wall thickness of the 5 brass ones and they ranged from .105 to just under .035. This is easily enough wall thickness for forming and reforming once annealed. NOT MELTED DOWN. No I did not try to form any bullets out of one, she would have whacked me with her walker.

Bullet cases in my experience over years of reloading and shooting "Stretch" and need to be trimmed. Sometimes they do get brittle and torn when they are stretch too thin, but that is far and few between for such failures.

Have you ever seen new ammo made at the factory? Guess what, they do it a cpl different ways. The way that is applicable here is how they take brass and/or copper billets & plates/discs and take them through a progressive die to form the case, head, neck. In the final forming they use a spinning process with a stylus to smooth out any imperfections. During this whole process the brass hardens (work hardening) and needs to be re-annealed at points for the next operation. It seems to me they work with some mighty thin case walls w/o tearing them. The primer pockets were usually done with a "Nail Header" Machine and then finished off with forming dies/punches.

They, meaning the Jewish people reworked thousands of brass lipstick cases. Once annealed, brass will do just about anything you want. The Holocost Museum is a very interesting, sad and a glorius place to learn about the struggles of humans. The museum display shows the progressive forming that was done on the cases and have many examples on display. Feel free to contact them for the info on the who, what, when and where of the "Lipstick Case into Bullets" story.

The Jewish people were not allowed to buy ammunition of any sort. They were allowed however to buy sundries and house hold goods. The museum states over 30,000 rounds were made from the bottom sections into rifle calibers and the lids were made into pistol calibers and the primers. History Channel only stated it was in the thousands.

I find the History Channel fairly accurate on most subjects. I am sure if they showed a AK and SKS it was in relation to talking about gang violence and not just Bonnie & Clyde. Please feel free to tell R. Lee Ermy to his face he does not or History Channel does not know jack shyte about something LOL. Are there extremly small details wrong of left for the imagination in some History Channel shows, yes, most likely so.

I am sure "STEM" was just a simple typo for STEN. Not all of us are perfect in their writing skills, I know I am not. Could have also meant that the cut down barrel STEMS were used to make other weapons.

Note: I shall chat no more of this issue as it is slightly off subject. So let it be written, so let it be done...* waves hand accross the land to make it so.

When anything is discussed on the net relating to the holocaust, there may be doubters on certain aspects, and then there are the very aggressive ones who seem to get very upset about any civil discussion.

Reckon this thread will probably get worse :eek:

Okay UpandAtIt, you say there is documented proof of lipstick tubes being made into cartridge cases, but you don't provide any documented proof. I looked, but did not find anything. How about you providing some of that documented proof source material?

I'm not doubting just curious on something here.

So rifle cartridges were made out of lip stick tubes, were they berdan primed, if so thats one hell of a forming job for a lipstick tube. Other question is, how did they form the head? I could see a lipstick case being made into an old style balloon head cartridge, but a balloon head rifle cartridge that handles a smokeless rifle load? That Im kinda skeptical on.

Me experience with the History Channel is...

That they get things around 90% right. Unless you are talking about something like global warming, where they don't seem to vet the programs that they air.

But the 10% that they don't get right can be little things,(usually) or big things (sometimes). One cna never tell. General History and military history and firearms in particular have been one of my hobbies for decades, the main difference between an enthusiastic hobbiest and a professional is that a professional get paid. Some times, the amateur is actually more skilled or knowledgable than the professional.

Just because the History Channel says something is so, doesn't actually make it so.
Gunny Ermy is a great guy, but while fairly knowledgable, isn't an expert on everything. Sometimes his researchers screw up too!

Back