National Parks Carry update

Okay, in effect in 9 months --
But does it immediately un-do the injunction?
The law will become effective when it says it will be effective. If the credit card provisions are immediate, I don't see why the carry provisions wouldn't be, but then I haven't read the bill.

Color me pessimistic, but I don't see anything to prevent the Brady Bunch from going back to the same judge and getting an injunction against the law taking effect because the "environmental impact" hasn't been studied, either. :mad::barf::barf::barf:

Color me pessimistic, but I don't see anything to prevent the Brady Bunch from going back to the same judge and getting an injunction against the law taking effect because the "environmental impact" hasn't been studied, either.

Unlike regulations surrounding a "change of policy" for the DOI (which include steps like an environmental impact study) the creation of a LAW on this subject has no similar steps or restrictions.

Color me pessimistic, but I don't see anything to prevent the Brady Bunch from going back to the same judge and getting an injunction against the law taking effect because the "environmental impact" hasn't been studied, either.

I think it was Antipitas who pointed out that the only reason the judge had jurisdiction in the first place, was that it was a rule or regulation, not a law passed by congress.

What did the final text say, if anything, on the subject of loaded and unlocked long guns? And is there any provision for loaded open carry? Isn't it possible to LOC in unincorporated areas in most states? If so, why not in a National Park?Perhaps this should be another thread.

What did the final text say, if anything, on the subject of loaded and unlocked long guns? And is there any provision for loaded open carry? Isn't it possible to LOC in unincorporated areas in most states?
The bill says, quite simply, that guns may be carried in accordance with the laws of the state in which the park or refuge is located.

Open carry is not specifically mentioned. Yes, LOC is allowed in many states, but discussing which states is IMHO somewhat outside the topic of this thread. Plenty of threads discussing LOC can be found on TFL and elsewhere already.

I wonder if this will apply to US Army Corps of Engineers parks like Phillpott Lake, Buggs Island etc. or is that a different animal?

I wonder if this will apply to US Army Corps of Engineers parks like Phillpott Lake, Buggs Island etc. or is that a different animal?
It's a different animal. The amendment calls out national parks and national wildlife refuges by name.

I expressed frustration about this earlier in the thread. The USACE operates parks at several popular recreational lakes in north TX, so the prohibition againt CCW will apparently continue. :mad:

Just signed by the President so it's a done deal, but not until February 2010 when provisions of the entire bill become law.

I think it was Antipitas who pointed out that the only reason the judge had jurisdiction in the first place, was that it was a rule or regulation, not a law passed by congress.

Federal judges have jurisdiction to hear cases contesting federal rules and regulations or federal laws. The issue in the Brady case involved whether an agency had followed the requirements of the Environmental Protection Act in creating a regulation; those requirements do not apply to laws passed by Congress.

What did the final text say, if anything, on the subject of loaded and unlocked long guns? And is there any provision for loaded open carry? Isn't it possible to LOC in unincorporated areas in most states? If so, why not in a National Park?Perhaps this should be another thread.

Section 512 of the Credit Card Act of 2009 reads as follows:

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

In short, if the state says it is okay - handgun, rifle, or shotgun, concealed or openly carried - it is also okay in National Parks and Wildlife Refuges.

In short, if the state says it is okay - handgun, rifle, or shotgun, concealed or openly carried - it is also okay in National Parks and Wildlife Refuges.

There's my answer, LOC permitted, if permitted by by state law, right? The way the media has exaggerated the impact of this rule change (though now actually a law), it probably won't surprise anyone much to see Aunt Bessie OCing her .38. After all, they are expecting AKs and ARs, thanks to the alarmists.

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

Anyone know if National Monuments are part of the National Park System? Here in New Mexico there are quite a few National Monuments out in the middle of nowhere and it would be nice to carry while visiting.

VL

Back