National Parks Carry update

It's now being reported that the Senate passed the credit card bill, 67 to 29, with the Coburn amendment in it.

The bill will now go to conference to resolve the differences between the two houses.

The Republicans really don't want finance reform, or we would have seen such during all those years that Bush and the republican party held the majority. So this very well could be a "poison pill" amendment.

It should also be noted that the Dems have used this very tactic to get gun-control measures passed. Now the other side of the aisle is using many of the same tactics.

Well it's good...but it strikes me that the two are so unrelated seemingly, it's definately fast and loose with legislation games and political payback these days.

I did read that the President wants his credit card legislation on his desk by memorial day to avert the crisis.

I think it's one of those "If you damn Dems want the credit card reform, we gun totin' Right Wing Extremists want our CCW's in National Parks" type deals....

I'm strangely comfortable with this one. :D

Well, if you want to buy guns & ammo on credit, I would do it now because they are going to be pulling back (actually they have already been pulling back) credit card debt before that bill takes effect. It will be interesting to see how bad they want it though :)

Something we should take heart in, is the numbers, 67 yeas, 29 naes.

That tells me dems are gonna have a hard time passing any anti - gun legislation.

I agree with kraigwy - the numbers certainly seem important. Hopefully those 67 yeas are a strong indication that the leanings in the Senate are more in favor of gun ownership and less inclined to pass new anti gun legislation.

I find it interesting that the press considers the ammendment a poison pill for the credit card legislation rather than a move to get the concealed carry in National Parks bill passed by attaching it to a bill dear to the hearts of the liberal senators.

Well it's good...but it strikes me that the two are so unrelated seemingly, it's definately fast and loose with legislation games and political payback these days.
Well, they announced they wanted to play dirty with their bought and paid for judge so I guess Mr. Coburn decided it was time for the gloves to come off.

I, for one, am tired of being the political punching bag and I think this was an extremely well placed thorn!

I don't believe so, but it does change the rules of the game. Right now the basis of the injunction is that the "rules change" didn't follow one of the guidelines (that of an "environmental impact study") A change in legislature blows that right out of the water since an EIS isn't required for the proposed law.

I, for one, am tired of being the political punching bag and I think this was an extremely well placed thorn!

Don't get me wrong i'm all for it, but i get a little worried when they pass a massive bill with no time to read them, in spite of the new era of the teleprompter's 5 day online transparency policy. Out of it comes things like the AIG bonuses shoved thru by Giethner and Dodd at the eleventh hour.(I'm not/wasn't against the bonuses, just the shell game). Unless of course they go my way, and then i'm all for it.

Don't wanna wake up tomorrow and find they snuck a total EBR ban into a healthcare bill while nobody was lookin'.:D

Strange days...

Last edited:
maestro pistolero said:
Can the legislative branch override the injunction of the judicial branch?
Short answer, Yes.

The injunction is against a regulation, not a legislated law. In this case, it makes no difference why the injunction was in place. Change the actual law, and the injunction is a moot point.

Does anyone have a link to the bill, as amended?

Can they sneak in "repeal 922(o) " somewhere? That's a mere 13 characters in what's likely to be over a 100 page bill, as they all are.

WSJ editorial: Democrats and Guns

This from a Wall Street Journal editorial entitled "Democrats and Guns":

Amid so much other news, a Senate vote last week to allow loaded guns in national parks slipped under the media radar. The vote shows how the political cause of gun control is as dead as a mounted moose.

By 67-29, the Senate passed Oklahoma Republican Tom Coburn's amendment to let law-abiding visitors carry legal firearms into national parks. This overturns a 1983 federal rule requiring that firearms be kept unloaded and in an inaccessible place such as a trunk of a car. The provision (now part of credit-card legislation) protects Second Amendment rights, and it preserves the right of states to pass firearm laws that apply consistently, even on federal lands.

As recently as the 1990s, guns in parks legislation would have provoked a Congressional uproar. But gun control has proven to be a consistent political loser, and last year the Supreme Court cast doubt on state gun bans. No fewer than 27 Democrats voted for Mr. Coburn's amendment, and the ayes included Majority Leader Harry Reid, who is up for re-election in Nevada next year.

Congressional liberals are furious, and are threatening to hold up the credit-card bill, much as they have held up Washington, D.C. voting-rights legislation to which Republicans attached gun-owner protections. Holding up both bad bills forever would be fine with us, but in any case it's clear liberals have lost the gun control debate even within their own party.

The credit card bill passed the Senate. According to an AP article, it still has intact the Coburn amendment. Of course, it has to pass in the House too, but according to the chairman of a national parks subcommittee in the House, it is likely to pass in the House, given the pro-gun rights majorities in both the House and Senate. Democratic leaders said there was not enough time to send the bill to a House-Senate conference committee — where presumably it could be removed without a vote — and still get it to Obama by Memorial Day as he has requested.

According to an article I read, many of the new Dems in Congress come from western states, and they don't have the anti-gun attitude of their eastern confreres.

It's THROUGH!

Now we see about "resolving the differences" and then to Mr. O's desk it goes.

Govtrack
H.R.627
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-627
Current status
Occurred: Introduced Jan 22, 2009
Occurred: Referred to Committee View Committee Assignments
Occurred: Reported by Committee Apr 22, 2009
Occurred: Amendments (89 proposed) View Amendments
Occurred: Passed House Apr 30, 2009
Occurred: Passed Senate May 19, 2009
Not Yet Occurred: Differences Resolved ...
Not Yet Occurred: Signed by President ...

With "Section 512" still intact and reading as follows
SEC. 512. PROTECTING AMERICANS FROM VIOLENT CRIME.

(a) Congressional Findings- Congress finds the following:

(1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution provides that ‘the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed’.

(2) Section 2.4(a)(1) of title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that ‘except as otherwise provided in this section and parts 7 (special regulations) and 13 (Alaska regulations), the following are prohibited: (i) Possessing a weapon, trap or net (ii) Carrying a weapon, trap or net (iii) Using a weapon, trap or net’.

(3) Section 27.42 of title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that, except in special circumstances, citizens of the United States may not ‘possess, use, or transport firearms on national wildlife refuges’ of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

(4) The regulations described in paragraphs (2) and (3) prevent individuals complying with Federal and State laws from exercising the second amendment rights of the individuals while at units of--

(A) the National Park System; and

(B) the National Wildlife Refuge System.

(5) The existence of different laws relating to the transportation and possession of firearms at different units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System entrapped law-abiding gun owners while at units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System.

(6) Although the Bush administration issued new regulations relating to the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens in units of the National Park System and National Wildlife Refuge System that went into effect on January 9, 2009--

(A) on March 19, 2009, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia granted a preliminary injunction with respect to the implementation and enforcement of the new regulations; and

(B) the new regulations--

(i) are under review by the administration; and

(ii) may be altered.

(7) Congress needs to weigh in on the new regulations to ensure that unelected bureaucrats and judges cannot again override the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens on 83,600,000 acres of National Park System land and 90,790,000 acres of land under the jurisdiction of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

(8) The Federal laws should make it clear that the second amendment rights of an individual at a unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System should not be infringed.

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

Last edited:
Another Update

Washington Post
House Passes Credit Card Bill, Sending It to President
http://tinyurl.com/qptvtc

By Nancy Trejos
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 20, 2009; 2:29 PM

The House today gave final approval to a bill that would prohibit credit card companies from arbritarily raising interest rates on existing balances and charging certain fees.

With a 367-61 vote, the House ensured that President Obama will be able to sign the bill into law by Memorial Day, as he requested.

The House had approved a more diluted credit card reform bill last month but chose to send the stonger Senate version to the president instead. The Senate overwhelmingly passed its bill, written by Banking Committee Chairman Christoper Dodd (D-Conn.), on Tuesday.

>>>SNIP<<<<< (see online article for full text)

The House's passage of the bill came after an unrelated amendment allowing visitors to national parks to carry guns passed on a separate vote of 279-147. This morning, White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs said Obama would sign the legislation even if the amendment, introduced by Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), were included.

>>>SNIP<<<<< (see online article for full text)

The legislation passed today, which goes farther than the Fed's new rules, would become effective nine months after signing.

The NY Times has been having hissy fits about the amendment for awhile. Why doesn't Obama stand up to the evil gun lobby? Oh, dear - he is misbehaving.

:D

Back