Name one thing you learned at your last match...

Shot my first semi-IDPA match last weekend. I was using my S&W 686 snub with thumb-break holster and HKS speedloaders. Everything was going great until I got to the line for the first stage, when I discovered that I had an ammo problem and shells had to be pushed into the cylinder. Put enough crimp on your reloads!

Fortunately I had brought a backup gun and ammo. From that I learned that while you may get hazed about your Ruger P97, it will perform flawlessly and will feed ammo that a certain 1911 choked on.

Had a great time, though.

I shot Bullseye for many years - my last match was last season and I learned I didn't want to do it anymore. Sold my guns, GunHo box and scope. I just got tired of it.

I just got the results from last month's CRAPS shoot and found out that I performed better on the classifier than I thought I did.
The key was to not get any penalties. Most of the field sent more lead downrange than I did within the time limit, but they also picked up penalties that negated that advantage.

RH & Glock,
You guys gonna be at the CRAPS shoot Sunday? I'm going to try to bring Katie (revolver girl) along.

If you're cold, your hands will shake. If your hands are shaking, you may pull a shot and hit a no-shoot even though you are aiming very deliberately to miss said no-shoot.
The moral of the story: It is better to keep a cover garment that interferes with your draw than to ditch it in cold weather.
If you do ditch it, take the precision shots first so you can get them out of the way before you start shivering.

They aren't interchangable.

When you're shooting 2 guns make sure you keep the .45 and the 10mm ammo seperate. The 45's won't feed very well in the 10. Since I wasn't the shooter it was pretty humorous to watch though, especially after he figured out the problem.

I learned that it's very important to practice movement and transitions when shooting IPSC revolver on field courses. I shoot standing stages reasonably well (3.5 to 4.0 hit factor), but having to stop to acquire targets and reload cost alot of time on the field courses.

The sights are for aiming.:o I decided to try out that particular peice of advice and got about 95% A's.:D Also, I have learned that after about the first couple of shoots on close targets in a row I can speed myself up.

I also called my shot for the first time. It was one of those Charlies, the only one on the classifier!

CPASPR,
It's a five spoke wheel with steel plates on the end of the arms and it rides on a bearing in the middle. Whenever you knock a plate off, it rotates/ swings because the remaining plates are out of balance.

Lycanthrope,
Yeah...but what if your course designer covers the top half with no-shoots? :barf:

One lesson I learned this weekend: after packing the truck carefully for your big match, don't accidentally unload it without thinking twice.

I unloaded the boxes of match loads that I needed - Didn't get to shoot at all.:mad:

Yes, the designer of our course was an evil, evil, man. That was also my first experience with a Texas star. I actually did better against it than I expected to, but I left one plate standing because I shoot L-10 and only have 4 mags. In addition to the star, there were 2 other steel and 8 paper, so I ran out of ammo with that one damn plate still twirling in front of me.:mad:

Or, in my case, D-class Limited Glock shooter who lucked into a sweet deal on a Wilson KZ45.;)

I also learned today that I need to follow my own advice from a couple pages back in the thread and dryfire. I found today that I didn't miss when I made a conscious effort to place my trigger finger correctly. I keep putting it in the spot that's right on for my G35 but all wrong for my Wilson. Your subconscious will always revert back to what you've trained yourself to do.

Misc. thoughts

I've been shooting combat matches for years. Iron sights for all three guns, can't think of too many things I'd rather do on the first Saturday of each month!
1. Always carry extra ammo in your pockets. Last match, I finally loaded a short mag. It was short because I allowed myself to be distracted and failed to upload it and let it go back into my mag holder. Yes, I was astounded at myself and that cost me time. I WILL NOT do that again!:mad:
2. Unless you are super-competitive, don't try to beat the other guys, especially those who are always in the top three places. Shoot against yourself and how you did last time. You will improve and will likely catch those other guys.
3. Remember, you're out there to have fun and become a better shooter. If you shoot combat matches on a regular basis, you're probably better than most of the other shooters out there, even if you're not in the top half of the monthly crowd. At least you're out there and they're not!:D
4. Practice, practice, practice. If you can put some rounds down range the day before the match then do so!
5. Volunteer to design scenarios. Then, design them so you have to work on those things your really suck at. You can only blame yourself for how hard it is and you make yourself work hard at making yourself better. Many of the other shooters will "complain" about "Who designed this nightmare?" but will really be glad you did because they also suck at the same things you do! Weak hand, prone pistol, weak side shotgun, etc.
6. Have fun!
7. Take your time. A 10-second round with 5 "mikes" is worse than a 20-second round with no "mikes."

Lycanthrope,
There are some pretty good L-10 guys in our group....but I'm not one of 'em. :D
I got all the plates, but I carry twice as many loaded mags as glockopop.
/needed 'em, too... :o

Back