Name one thing you learned at your last match...

frail old dudes gets extra strength, ability, vision and agility with a gun in their hands, never underestimate them

oh and i probably should get that comb raising thingy

Be more mentally prepared.

I did not hear the command to fire but my opponent did, so for some reason I decided to play catch up, which did not work out. All I had to do was ask for a re-shoot before firing my first shot.

I haven't shot a lot of USPSA, mostly IDPA, ICORE and SASS. I shot my first bigger match, Golden Bullet in Richmond,Ca., and when I look at the detailed score, I realize that I have to speed up and accept a few more C's. I shot very accurately, but I can see that it's difficult to make up 4 or 5 seconds on a stage by getting more points on the stage. I was about 97% of the available points,with no no shoots, procedurals or extra shots or hits. Just have to find the right balance to score my best in USPSA matches. Mark

Not me but if you take newbies to a match, please:

1. Give the correct magazines for the gun you lent them. Nothing like seeing some beginner with a gun that won't fire as it has the wrong mag.

2. Get the newbie a decent holster. Not some weird horror that has a mag pouch in front to the gun part, so that when the beginner has to reload, they have to reach across body - what a mess.

Even though you broke 49 out of 50 in doubles trap practice yesterday you can still soot a 22 in competition today. :o

Don't short pull my wheelgun trigger and expect the stage to go as planned, at least as far as round count is concerned. Pulling trigger 3 extra times for that last round to go raised a few eyebrows and used extra time. Oh well.

My first 3-Gun match

I just shot my 1st 3-Gun match on Saturday. Specifically, I shot at the "Choate Multigun Melee" at the Mountain Valley Sportsman's Ass'n outside of Hot Springs, Arkansas. I'm sure I could name a dozen things that I learned, but I'll just hit the top few, seeing as how this thread is "Name one thing that you learned at your last match.

1) A $600 Mini-14 with cheap, substandard magazines is capable of a malfunction.

2) So is a $2,000 AR using quality mags.

3) High-capacity mags count. Reloading takes longer than I thought, even in a semi-auto.

4) It's good to achieve all of your goals, especially when they are: (a) don't shoot anyone; (b) don't get shot; (c) arrive home with vision and hearing intact. :D

I learned that just because I used only five rounds on the first string, don't count on needing only five for the second; replace that half-empty 10-round mag after each string!

I seem to relearn this at every single match i go to.

I shoot in Military Rifle Club down here in Australia in which we have to shoot at targets at 100m, 200m and 300m usually (special matches go to 500m) with iron sights and we're given 3 minutes to fire 15 rounds at the 100m target during which i blaze through the 15 rounds in under a minute.

I score decently, but im sure id do better to take my time about it.

I witnessed an accidental discharge @ the last match

I shot in an indoor USPSA match at my local club last weekend.

One of the shooters had an accidental discharge. He's new to action type shooting, and got a little ahead of himself and was trying to move and release a magazine at the same time while his finger was in the trigger-guard, and he put a round into one of the prop walls used as part of the stage design.

This resulted in an instant match DQ. He was quite mortified. However, to his great credit, he had a good attitude about the whole event, took it as a learning experience, and stayed for the rest of the match and helped paste targets.

(I guess a few of the guys worked with him a little bit after the match was over. He also came to our informal club match on Tuesday night)

New shooters often try to go too fast before they're ready. Sometimes this results in an accidental discharge. In this case, there were no negative results because he had good muzzle discipline and kept pointed in down range, even though he did manage to shoot a wall . . .

(He was using 115 grn hollowpoint ammo in a Springfield XD. After some searching, his bullet was found lying on the floor. The hollow point cavity was plugged with particle board and the bullet did not expand or deform in any way)

I shoot my little Glock 26 reasonably well. :D Even made the far shots in an IDPA drill. Sweet little gun. I was competitive with the average run of shooters. Shot it for practice as compared to my full sized guns.

Match malfunctions

I'm continually amazed at the number of malfunctions I see at matches. I shot Speed Steel at Tri-County Gun Club, Sherwood Oregon today. The 22s are always having problems. One guy was shooting really well, but having to clear his gun on maybe three out of five strings. Another guy shooting a 9mm decently had repeated FTE.

I'm feeling superior shooting my Glock 17 with store-bought ammo. The big risk factors seem to be 22s--they all seem prone to failure--and homebrew ammo.

Take care of your leather shooting coat before a rainy match. I have watched my Hawkeye coat's sleeves crack and split as I was shooting at Camp Perry last August.

I just shot the Surefire Texas Multigun (big 3 gun match) and boy was it a learning experience! I learned to expect the unexpected, and to plan for it. I learned that I do not practice in nearly enough unusual positions.

On the plus side, I did learn that regularly shooting matches with targets 350-500 yards makes shooting rifle at an average of 60 yards quite easy (even offhand) and taking headshots at 40 yards is a piece of cake ;)

Learned

I had not shot a 2700 Bullseye match in years. I went to one a few weeks ago.
Ha. Never go with a load/sight combination that you have not sighted in together at 50 yards. Never go with an old reflex sight that you know has rheostat problems.
Pete

IDPA classifier

I shot the IDPA classifier twice this year.

In May I shot it with a Smith & Wesson M&P in .40 cal and did pretty well.

In July (on a very hot day) I shot it with a Glock 22 (Gen III) in .40 cal and did NOT do pretty well. To be specific, I was erratic on stage III again. Not catastrophic, but still disappointing.

I absolutely have to practice more shooting at distance on multiple targets from behind cover.

F-Class. The most important thing I have gained is-- Your shooting against yourself. Don't worry what the guy next to you is doing. If you can get that thought in your head the stress,pressure disapear and the fun begins. Take your time and don't just reload and shoot again. LOOK at where your last shot went and ask yourself why. Learn from each shot. 5 sight in shot's can tell you a lot if you look at them.

Back