NAA .22LR Mini

Matt Sutton; There is no way I can go on without one of those necklaces. Of course I read this now (Friday night) and he doesn't have on-line ordering and isn't open on weekends.

How difficult is it to use the half-cock safety? These questions have me wondering if I should opt for something like the S&W 342PD (10.8 oz, .38, DA only, shrouded hammer).

From my limited experience, 342Ti PD has much better ergonomics. However, after the first five rounds I was unwilling to fire it ever again whereas the Mini recoil is not bad.

If you must go with a Ti revolver, get a ported one (though I consider porting a no-no in a defense gun, the lightweights will damage your hands otherwise) or use 32H&R Mag (more expensive but you could use 32Long in it, too). Or go with a P32 (under 10oz *loaded*).

Oleg: The report of your experience with the 342Ti PD sure settles the fact that I should not make the mistake of getting one. I had to have my KGP 141 ported by Jack Weigand before I could fire .38 +P's in it without hurting my 67 y.o. hand (with a bit of arthritis). I should have known better than to even think of getting a Ti J Frame. My current thinking is to get the .22LR Mini and a Ruger SP 101 to supplement the KGP 141.

Tyro

My wife's carry pistol is a Taurus Total Titanium .38 Special Snub. It's a very light pistol, however it's also "ported". It came from the factory with these nice, soft rubber grips. I don't notice the recoil. I'm sure this is due to the ports and grips. I've watched her fire it in a pretty dark indoor range and the ports did not seem to flash. But, at the gun show last weekend, a guy did tell me that in total darkness the ports would make a "big flash" when the pistol was fired.
When it gets a little warmer, we'll go out at night and try a few rounds.
By the way, I got some nice little stag grips for my NAA .22LR Mini at the same show for $25.00. I think I did pretty good on that.

Kentucky Rifle

Kentucky Rifle: What is the model number of your wife's ported Taurus Total Titanium .38 Special Snub? I'm hopeful you may have given me a tip that may be a better choice (than I had in mind) for a .38 revolver to fill the mid-way position between the .357 and the .22.

Tyro: I still recommend at least the .22Magnum Mini in 1 and 5/8ths barrel as the "minimum NAA I'd own". And get both cylinders.

The .22LR minis have a one-finger grip...the Magnum frame is a two-finger grip. When shooting .22LR from the Magnum-frame guns, recoil is as close to "not there" as it comes. The Magnums will be a bit of a wild ride but not too bad...the mild sting tends to go to the fingers versus wrist.

I also own an old Freedom Arms mini, 4 shots, .22Mag, and has the same one-finger grip as the current production .22LR NAA minis. THAT thing is insane :).

With a current-production convertable Magnum, you can practice in .22LR cheap and with hardly any recoil at all. For carry and a bit of practice first, the best .22Mag loads are a big step up in effectiveness over the best .22LR.

In my opinion, the best .22LR load for a mini is the Remington Yellowjacket. The best .22Mag is the CCI MaxiMag +V, either original or new TNT flavor.

Jim

Got mine today!

NAA Black Widow.

I had just enough time to fire off five rounds in the yard at a target before it started raining again. I was only three or four yards away from my target, but I was pleased with the grip, trigger break, and sights (so I was close to my target ;) ). Definitely a sweet little gun. I will invest in another one eventually.

Thank you, Jim March!

Jim March,

As a result of your comments posted on this thread (and others), I just purchased and test fired an NAA .22 Mini-Master (with conversion cylinder). I am quite pleased with the accuracy, ease of handling, and carry weight. I can carry this 4" barrel gun concealed anywhere I wear pants (which is everywhere I go).

Many thanks!

Tyro...

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, but this webtv did an "upgrade" and it wouldn't let me read very many replies to a post. In any case, my wife's pistol is just like a regular Taurus 85, but it's mostly made of titanium. It's been a wonderful pistol. Titanium is great stuff. Totally non-reactive to perspiration and darn near anything else.
On the .22LR NAA Mini revolver: I just switched carry loads from "Stingers" to "Quick-Shoks". For a .22, Quick-Shoks are nasty little things. I have a very light nylon pocket holster with a little velcro pouch that holds five extra cartridges that I got directly from NAA. Even when I carry a larger pistol, I can find a pocket somewhere for the little Mini revolver. Nasty little surprise!

Kentucky Rifle

Kentucky Rifle,

No problem. Thanks for info re the Taurus 85 and the .22 loads. It is good to have a gun in a pocket all the time, in addition to any other that may or may not be carried "always".

NAA Mini

The subject of the NAA Mini is a very prolific subject on this board. A subject that is quite popular to many of us that carry it daily. It is the ultimate "anywhere gun" (excepting metal detectors!).

I ordered the pocket holster for my NAA Mini .22Magnum directly from North American Arms. Subsequently I modified the holster by removing some leather under the trigger and over the hammer spur. Thus modified, it can be drawn and cocked from the pocket very FAST with practice. The trick is having ones finger on the trigger and thumb covering the hammer so that one can extricate the Mini from their pocket without snagging material and cock-the-hammer after clearing the pocket. VERY FAST but use care !!!

Realistically I can not carry my Colt Combat Commander, SIG P239, or S&W Model 60 to work. But my NAA Mini is always with me and my "membership dues" in my local sheriff's pistol permit "club" are paid up-to-date. When shopping after hours I carry my Commander or Model 60 with my NAA Mini as a backup piece.

The only problem I have is that I forget the Mini is in my pocket, and the court house metal detectors always find it. My friends down there now ask if I'm packing my "sissy gun" even before I enter the metal detectors. Last time this happened my reply was yes and I'm wearing my pink skivies too.

One last comment: I have in my collection the dreaded and dangerous NAA "wallet holster" ... the one that the ATF now classifies as a "SPECIAL WEAPON" if you can believe such BS. For some reason my "wallet holster" seems to be missing the trigger, cylinder, hammer, and there is no place to load the ammo. Yet those ATF guys say the "wallet holster" is a special weapon!!!

Of course the only time I've ever put my NAA Mini 22 Magnum in this holster was BEFORE THE ATF RULED IT TO BE A SPECIAL WEAPON. Frankly there is nothing special about the "wallet holster" as it is slower and difficult to hold. Obviously the ATF
dumb-arses would not know the meaning of the word "special" or "weapon" in any meaningful context.

NAA minis rule! And you gotta love those belt buckles!:cool:
But,am i crazy to use Remington Golden Bullet high velocity hollowpoints?

I used to carry an NAA mini as a third gun on duty and pretty regularly in a pocket off-duty. I stopped when I joined a PD that prohibited the cary of any weapon under .380. While that policy wouldn't have necessarily held up when I was off-duty.. I jsut kinda got out of the habit of carrying it. I subscribe to the opinion that any gun is better than no gun, adn the NAA Mini .22lr is a great thing to have when carrying something bigger would be tough.

If anyone doubts that the .22lr is formidable enough, try to get your hands on a copy of the infamous "Trooper Coates Video" (sp?). In 1991 a SC Trooper was shot twice with an NAA .22lr during a traffic stop gone bad. The vest stopped one hit, the other went through the meat of his arm, into the body cavity, nicked the heart and the trooper bled to death on the side of the road. Meanwhile, the trooper put 5 or 6 duty loads into the BG who was still very much alive when back-up arrived. The entire thing was caught on the Troopers dash-cam. I'll bet that most east cost cops have been shown this video half a dozen times in various trainings...

The NAA Minirevolvers are great for true "deep cover" guns. If you guys haven't heard, these can even be carried at the beach/pool. Just buy a hard glasses case and it can be carried anywhere.

I have the 1-1/8" lr., and the 1-5/8" magnum with the lr. conversion cylinder. Love these little guns, a real work of art. I carry one of them when very deep concealment is necessary. I have shot them both quite a bit, but only at paper targets. Has anyone done any penetration or bullet expansion tests with these guns ? I often wonder how effective they would be if really needed for self defense. Allways figured that they were better than nothing, when something bigger can't be carried.
MR.G

got both

While I much prefer the NAA .22 Magnum; the .22LR
version is a cute little weapon; easily capeable
of "deep cover" concealment. The magnum always
ride's with me, most everywhere I go.:D Lint from
my front pants pocket is a small problem; so I
clean it quite reguarly. Don't want to waste valuable time fumbling with a minature holster!!!.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Those damned things are dangerous, you'll shoot your eye out kid. Get a Keltec P-32 instead. They're much safer, holds far more Center Fire, rounds and they're much more user friendly.

7th

Back