NAA .22LR Mini

tyro

Those who own NAA .22LR revolvers: Do you use a holster for this gun? If not, is keeping lint out of the gun a problem? Which of the models on the following link do you recommend and/or not recommend, and why? I am especially interested in opinions re the model encased in an attached holster.

http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html

I was always fascinated by the NAA Mini Revolvers so I got the 22LR with the shorter barrel. It's fantastic and lots of fun to shoot at the range. With the right technique (different things work for different people) it is shockingly accurate. The 22 Magnum is great, too, but at that size one might be better off with a Guardian (some prefer the Kel-Tec P32).
For pocket holsters Hedley is hard to beat. NAA has a nylon one that some prefer as well.

I have the 22mag with the Conversion cylinder great little gun. I bought the pocket holster NAA has on there site the black canvas one holds extra 5 rounds in pouch also..

View

Flat-out: do not buy a .22LR mini...

Stick with the .22Magnums, and if at all possible get a .22LR conversion cylinder at the same time for cheap practice.

I personally recommend the Black Widow with grips retro-fitted to the same size as Shooter45's gun pictured above and *fixed* sights, not adjustable. The BW barrel is slightly longer at 2" than Shooter45's gun, and is more rigid. The BW (and the 4" MiniMaster) barrel also lacks the typical constriction at the base where it screws into the frame.

Most .22Mags don't work well in the short tubes but the CCI MaxiMag +V and +V TNT *do* work, and produce energy levels on par with .32ACP from a 2" BW barrel.

Shooter45's gun and the BW are the finest front-pocket backups made, if you're not into small autos.

If you *must* use .22LR in a mini for defense, the Remington Yellowjackets are what I used to carry in my MiniMaster's second cylinder as a "Clint Eastwood Reload". But they're a poor substitute for the CCI Maxi+V in .22Mag.

Jim

the king of mice!!!

I just had to have one of these after seeing my neighbors. My .25 cal semi mouse gun was "acting up" and I wanted a new one. Mine came with a little pouch. I shot it yesterday and it was easier to shoot than I would have thought. I couldn't figure out how to accurately shoot it though. That little front site blade is a tad high. No matter though, I figure it's effective range is "really close". Mine is a 22mag. I love this little thing! It looks like a work of art! There is never ever a reason for not carrying with this!

If the front sight is too high, file it a bit!

C title...a front sight too high will cause the rounds to print low on the target if the front and rear are lined up exactly flat.

So file it down a hair. Good news is, it's all stainless so you won't screw up a blue job :). Do it right at a firing range, take a little off, crank a few sandbagged rounds down very carefully, see where they're going, file a bit again as needed, etc. Not too difficult :).

Jim

Tyro: I have the NAA mini with the folding grip--kind'a obviates the need for a holster. Clipped to my pocket, it looks like a pager. Works fine (the grip, surprisingly enough, actually feels like that of a full-sized handgun). But I've actually been thinking of getting the bird's-head grip to keep the bulk down, in which case I'll probably just use the suede leather clip holster that came with the mini. -- JFrame

I own a couple of the .22lr models. I chose them over the magnum models because the primary reason for buying any of these is their tininess. With the magnum models, you get a substantial increase in size w/o a corresponding increase in power. For almost the weight and bulk of the BW model, one could carry one of the ultralight revolvers from Taurus or S&W in a substantially more potent caliber.
The best way to carry one of the .22lr models was the wallet holster. ATF, alas, ruled that they are verboten. Naturally, I promptly threw mine in the river because ATF knows best. The second best method of carrying one is in the Thad Rybka designed pocket holster NAA offers from their web site. It even has an integral ammo pouch for those "tactical reloads."
One thing I will caution you about is that the internal parts are somewhat delicate because of their small size. Keep the dry firing to an absolute minimum.

http://www.a-human-right.com/RKBA/deepcover.html

I have the magnum (with mother of pearl grips, ooh! aah!) and have also handled the LR. Both are great itty-bitty micro pistols. I keep my magnum loaded with the CCI TNT's, but through some testing, the little hollow points do not expand or only expand minimally (the 2-foot thick saturated wet newspaper dead body test). I keep my mini in the extra mag pouch on my belly band, or sometimes in the ankle holster. I have since converted my ankle holster to fit my P32, using the slot for the mini as an extra mag pouch for the P32 (sewing up the end so it doesn't fall out).

When I carry my mini, I check it at the beginning and the end of the day for lint. If carried in my belly band, I also check for any signs of rust, since it is close to my body and prone to humidity.

My father, who has the LR, likes to slip his in his knife pouch. You'd never guess there was a tiny little gun in there.

I also knew a guy who snapped off his front sight (Eep!) because he didn't see the point in having one.

I carry my .22lr loose in my pocket. I check it daily for crud and lint. It's starting to show a few scratches from getting mixed up with loose change, keys, pockets knives, etc. Mine was shooting several feet to the right and upon examination I saw that when the barrel was polished at the factory they had slightly gouged the crown and it wasn't square. I careully filed it square and broke the sharp edge with a regular countersink. Now it shoots right on!

Many thanks to all for the helpful information and advice. I have a few more questions, all of which are prompted by material in the owner's manual (on the NAA web site) about danger of accidental discharge and need for practice using a half-cock position of the hammer and/or cylinder (or something like that). Questions: Is the NAA .22 any more prone to AD than other revolvers? Have any of you experienced an AD with the NAA .22, or heard of such? How difficult is it to use the half-cock safety? These questions have me wondering if I should opt for something like the S&W 342PD (10.8 oz, .38, DA only, shrouded hammer). I'm looking for an "always" carry gun for use in a side cargo pocket of pants, and/or vest pocket.

Tyro

I have the S&W and it's a fine pistol too. Also, I know exactly what you mean regarding the "safety notches" on the NAA Mini cylinder. The first time I tried to slip the hammer into a notch, it was a little scary. But, having done it a few times, it's really no big deal. The hammer on the Mini is quite seratted on the top and kind of "grabs" your thumb so it would
be very difficult for it to slip off your thumb and fall on a live round. I guess it might be possible, if you weren't watching what you were doing. (But, I think, highly unlikely. So don't worry about that.)

KR

Lowering the hammer to one of the safety notches is no more difficult than lowering the hammer on any cocked revolver or non-decocker autoloader in my experience. I've not had an AD with either of my minis. As long as you observe the rules of gun safety, I don't think this aspect of their operation is an issue.

Tyro: I'll echo K.R. and Golgo--putting the NAA mini in safe mode is very intuitive. I've never had an AD with it. As to your question about the mini vs. S&W J-frames (which I love, if you can't guess! :)), they occupy somewhat different niches, so it's hard to compare them. I would put the mini in the category of a handgun you can take anywhere, anytime, with absolutely NO chance of exposure (short of passing a metal detector). I'm sure other handguns fit in this category also, but the NAA mini--definitely. -- JFrame

Thanks for the encouraging comments re the safety notch. That answers all my questions. I will go for the NAA .22LR Mini. And why not the S&W too... :)

tyro - Not to beat a dead horse since you are now convinced that the NAA safety concept is indeed safe, but I feel it is actually safer than other revolvers when you lower the hammer. If you do happen to slip when lowering the hammer, the chances are very good that the hammer will strike the cylinder instead of the rim of a cartridge. Most revolvers won't allow the cylinder to be, essentially, out of time when lowering the hammer.

Back