Mythbusted! .357 Magnum 125JHP on Deer

Deer are not Grizzly Bears, it doesn't take a cannon to bring them down.

That monsieur, is where you are sadly mistaken. When have you seen a deer and a grizzly bear in the same room at the same time? It takes 20mm cannon minimum to bring down a grizzly dear.

Here we go again! I love proving every year how a 125gr .357 Magnum bullet out of a rifle isn't only OK for deer, but it is the BEST for deer!

This year I shot a very big doe. She was facing me at 50 yards. I had maybe a minute of daylight left.

She was below me so I had to shoot on an angle. I placed the bullet square in her neck. The bullet traveled into her chest. Into and out of her heart, into and out of her liver, then broke a rib on the other side just barely staying inside her.

I have never had to track any deer with this load. When I took this shot she flopped right on the ground. Didn't even take a step.

If you're in an area where you're forced to use a straight walled pistol cartridge and want the BEST cartridge rifle combo. This is it.;)
Deer_2016a_resize.jpg

Deer_2016b_resize.jpg

Weight.jpg

Rem125.jpg

In my original post I used a Hornady XTP hollow point.

They make very robust hollow point bullets and I had a full pass through when used.

I have since switched to Remington soft points because they are cheaper and I have them in bulk.

Congrats on the deer and thanks for the write-ups!

I have long felt that the JSP would maximize the pistol cartridge rifle for hunting deer size game. You would not have gotten near the penetration with a JHP of any type. I've seen JHP fail too many times when the going gets tough.

Having grown up in Texas where most idiots...err....people seem to think a 270 is minimum for the 100# doe I roll my eyes where I hear sentiments like that about 357. The 357 is considered one of the aboslute best man stoppers bar none. A deer is about he same weight and thickness of a human. Nice catch.

I have never been against using a 357 for deer, but I have said for years and still believe that the 44 Magnum makes a better choice for hunting with a pistol cartridge, same as my belief that a 260 Rem or 6.5CM makes a much better low recoil rifle cartridge then a 243 for the same application. I know plenty of people who deer hunt with 223s, 357s, 30 carbines, even a 9mm carbine and they all swear they work, but I don't like extended tracking jobs so I stick to firearms that make north of 2,000 ft/lbs with fast expanding 120gr+ bullets and I have never tracked anything (that I shot) more then about 40 yards in my 30 years of hunting.

Great job, Steve!
Seems every one of your shots for the past what? 3 years? gets those deer in the liver!
You any kin to Liver eatin' Johnson?:D

Back