My wife says i'm a sad individual

I always thought my guns were super clean after only 10-15 min per gun. After reading this thread and how some of the fellas take a couple hours per gun.....I feel like a slum lord!

My wife hates the smell of Hoppes No. 9 ( I like it better than Chanel No. 5). She won't even come downstairs when I'm cleaning guns. The more time I spend on my guns, the less chance she has to find something unpleasant for me to do.

My wife will spend hours on a sewing machine. No we don't need to make cloths but that is her hobby.

Happily she never bugs me about mine. So all is well at my house.

Deaf

I spend 3 DAYS cleaning my guns ..... but only like 10 minutes each on each of the 3 days ...... I clean them, and run a wet patch through the bore and put them up, repeat on day 2, and on day 3, with a dry patch last on day 3. You would not believe how bleu-green the patches come out on day 2 from a "clean" rifle bore....

Hey Jimbob86. On a different post is was asking you why you took so long to clean your rifle. I decided to try your method. I was amazed how I THOUGHT I had a clean rifle. Thanks for the tip.

You are welcome.

I don't really like cleaning much of anything ..... no sense in spending a whole lot of time scrubbing when the solvent will do your work for you. Patience is a virtue.....

There are at least two areas & hobbies left that women want no part of: 1. Guns; Women generally don't like them and no amount of proselytizing is gonna change that. 2. Aircraft engine mechanic repair work. They don't like this because learning to do it requires learning math and physics which is frustrating and beyond the abilities of a lot of people. So anything they don't like, take refuge in.

Man, I was admittedly somewhat "overly attentive" when it came to cleaning my firearms as a young man.

That trait even survived the first several armorer classes I attended as a LE firearms instructor & armorer.

Then, however, just like I stopped worrying about our first baby's possible exposure to each and every little spec of dirt ... I got over it. :p

Now, having been a firearms instructor for more than 20+ years, and having been through more than 20 armorer classes (22, maybe? I'd have to dig through certs) ... and then having to help maintain, service, repair & support more than a thousand agency-owned pistols (not counting personally-owned handguns, as well as agency-issued rifles & shotguns), I'm not quite as "overly attentive" when it comes to cleaning.

It needs to be done correctly, naturally, but not as a cathartic or Zen experience. ;)

Another thing that helped me along the way to this point is having seen all manner of "problems" created by individuals improperly "cleaning" their issued and personally-owned guns. They meant well, but still managed to "clean & lubricate" their guns so that they caused functioning problems.

I've spent more hours than I care to remember standing at a cleaning station, trying to explain to some guy or gal why their preferred cleaning regimen was causing them problems, and why they needed to do it differently.

Yes, it's been annoying to more than a few individuals when they brought me one of their own handguns with a "problem", and it turned out the only "problem" I needed to correct was one they'd caused for themselves by what they'd thought were good cleaning & lubrication practices.

Newly minted & inexperienced armorers can be just as likely to create problems for themselves, at times, too. Sometimes they can get carried away wanting to use those new armorer skills. :o BTDT.

You clean enough guns belonging to other folks, the act of "cleaning" starts to pall a bit, and you get to the point where you do it right, but not excessively. :)

The replies have certainly been entertaining. :D It reminds me of when I decide to clean my garage. Boy does THAT snowball! Next thing, it's the shed, spare room, the bottom drawer of my dresser. Half hour here on average for cleaning a gun. But then my hands have arthritis. :p

There are at least two areas & hobbies left that women want no part of: 1. Guns; Women generally don't like them and no amount of proselytizing is gonna change that. 2. Aircraft engine mechanic repair work. They don't like this because learning to do it requires learning math and physics which is frustrating and beyond the abilities of a lot of people. So anything they don't like, take refuge in.

I could not disagree with you more on both statements. I back up my comment with a lifetime of shooting, two daughters, a fair amount of time teaching and coaching women shooters, and more than twenty years in Naval Aviation.

I spray my gun with clp and stick a wet hopes #9 piece of rope in the barrel at the range and stick it in a plastic bag. By the time I get home, it's ready for the air compressor and auto paper shop towel. The barrel is snaked a couple times. CLP spray it one more time and hit it with air and towel. One pass of oil then a single wipe in the barrel. It's all done except for a tad bit of grease on a q-tip for the metal/metal places (super thin w/ one swipe). The mag and spring is wiped as dry as I can get them. The gun is stored in controlled heat/humidity environment gun friendly safe. I have never timed it, but it seems quick. If you try it with air compressor, be sure to have the gun in a cloth towel to capture blown off oil particles. Wear a respirator to keep the micro oil droplets out of the lungs. Obviously use eye pro.

The reason she says this is because I just spent two hours cleaning one revolver. (Shot it A LOT today). Is there anyone else out there that is like me in the way that they get started with a "quick cleaning" and then get carried away? And, what in the world is the best thing for pulling powder residue off of nickel? I love my S&W model 19, all except the nickel... thanks

I think what she was really saying is...

"You spend a lot of time at the range then a lot of time doing a low value (to her) menial task, and did not spend time with me."

Give the girl some quality and quantity time.

I would like to be able to clean mine in 15 minutes.

I grab the materials, spend several minutes getting the slide stop pin out of place, strip everything down. Then I give everything an initial wipe down with the cloths. Spray the barrel with the cleaning solution as recommended and let it sit for 10 minutes. Clean the outside first so I can handle it. Then clean the inside until patches come out clean. Then dry cloths. Then more cloths to remove the residue from the inside of the gun. Then re-assembly of the upper, lubrication, another couple minutes to get the slide stop back in, and then a couple minutes of function checking/cycling before it goes back.

Takes me about 45 minutes every time.

The rifle on the other hand is easy... retract bolt to the rear, pull trigger, remove bolt, clean bolt and barrel :D

Back